3 of 3
New Sponsor?
Posted: 25 July 2008 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-01-28

Podcasts are the obvious place to advertise for an audiobook company. Audible also sponsors my favourite podcast, This Week in Tech. I hear there is lots of good science fiction on Audible, but I haven’t been motivated to subscribe. If only you could pay per book…

Barbara, I had no idea such good science/atheism books were on there! Thanks!

Signature 

“Do not let evidence fuel your appreciation of God. Let your appreciation of God influence your view of the evidence.” –Carl Kerby

Posted: 25 July 2008 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
Trent - 25 July 2008 07:46 AM

Podcasts are the obvious place to advertise for an audiobook company. Audible also sponsors my favourite podcast, This Week in Tech. I hear there is lots of good science fiction on Audible, but I haven’t been motivated to subscribe. If only you could pay per book…

Barbara, I had no idea such good science/atheism books were on there! Thanks!

I’m also a big fan of TWiT and all of Leo’s work ... he’s breaking a lot of new ground, now with live video streaming.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 19 November 2010 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-11-19

Howdy folks. I’ve been a “lurker” of all things atheist for over a year now - listening to Point of Inquiry, American Freethought, Secular Nation & other podcasts - and I’ve been hearing the advertisements for Audible.com, and the “free” download available to PoI listeners.
I totally agree with screaminscott in post#22 of this thread. Audible’s business practices makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. The fact that you are required to give your billing information for a “free” service does not sit well with me. And the fact that you have to pay for the service at all does not sit well with me either. I do not pay Borders a membership fee to be able to shop in their store - whay should I pay Audible? If Borders can sell a print book for $39.95 and make money on it, why can’t Audible sell an audio book for $39.95 and make money on it? Why do they have to charge another service fee?? The more I think about it the more infuriated I get.
What a disappointment, after all the time & effort I spent thinking about what would be the best book to listen to for my first experience with an audio book, only to find out that the game was rigged. Seriously - for those of you who purchase a couple books a month, maybe it is worth the monthly fee, but what if I only purchase 2 or 3 books a year? They’re still going to charge me once a month whether or not I buy a book? I think that is outrageous! (Yes, I feel the same way about Sam’s Club.)
Paying someone for the priveledge of spending my money in their establishment? I don’t think so.
I answered Audible’s feedback questionnaire after opting out of the registration - I will be really surprised if they bother to follow up on my complaint.
Oh, and a note to the producers of Point of Inquiry - you may want to consider being a bit more clear about what is required to obtain the “free” audio book download. Maybe future listeners who are forewarned won’t be so surprised and disappointed when they encounter this snag.
I’m sorry that my first post is a negative one. I had always envisioned my first contact with CFI would be a positive one.

3 of 3