UFO in Texas
Posted: 15 January 2008 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-06-11

Anyone see the UFO yesterday?  I was just watching the clip on yahoo.com and apparently aliens could be scoping out America. 
It’s kind of interesting how many people saw the lights.  I’m nowhere near there (Canadian) and am curious if there are any Stephenville Texans in our forum here that saw anything!

Signature 

JF

Posted: 15 January 2008 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

An answer from Richard Feynman. wink

Posted: 15 January 2008 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15401
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 15 January 2008 01:00 PM

An answer from Richard Feynman.

Three cheers for Richard.

LOL

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 January 2008 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19
dougsmith - 15 January 2008 01:03 PM
George - 15 January 2008 01:00 PM

An answer from Richard Feynman.

Three cheers for Richard.

LOL

Four cheers.

LOL

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 15 January 2008 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4850
Joined  2007-10-05

And even if the object turns out to be a UFO, so what? That doesn’t prove anything, it only means the object has not been identified. UFO fanatics jump to the conclusion that anything unknown is extraterrestrial, but not one I’ve talked with has been able to counter this argument; an unidentified object is merely what the names implies. Show me some physical evidence or admit you do not know what the object is.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 19 January 2008 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Finally, someone published a photo of this UFO. From the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

674-UFO.embedded.prod_affiliate.58.jpg

Looks like sunlight reflecting off a cloud. The truck driver who took the photo said the object looked like a meteor. The article is here.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 20 January 2008 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-08-31
fotobits - 19 January 2008 06:17 AM

Looks like sunlight reflecting off a cloud. The truck driver who took the photo said the object looked like a meteor.

Even more: it looks like a ‘sun dog’. These are refractions of sunlight in ice crystals of a certain form.

See here.

For an explanation on the same site here.

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 22 January 2008 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  975
Joined  2005-01-14

Yeah, it looks like a sun dog to me—otherwise known as a “mock sun”.  It’s not a particularly rare phenomenon, but the sun has to come through the clouds at just the right angle.  I often see them on both sides.

Posted: 22 January 2008 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

Whatever it is, it is interesting, but I hardly think it’s aliens.  Since for whatever reason my WMP is refusing to play the wav George posted, I’m going with the sun dog.  smile  Sounds good anyway.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 January 2008 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Mriana, here is what Feynman says about flying saucers:

“Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence.”

(Imagine you’re listening to Feynman while reading it; it’s difficult not to, anyway.)

Posted: 22 January 2008 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

OK, I agree terrans can be quite irrational at times.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 28 January 2008 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  975
Joined  2005-01-14

How could something like this be mistaken for a spacecraft?  All you would have to do was stand there for maybe an hour and watch it gradually fade away as the sun continued to set!

Posted: 10 March 2008 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

I love how some people can be so confident that “UFOs” are in fact extraterrestrial. Doesn’t that mean that they in fact identified it? That should make it an “IFO”, right?

Posted: 10 March 2008 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Sure would, Kaizen. UFO proponents always get stumped when I mention that to them. They don’t like it much either, but it is fun to watch them hem and haw when I challenge them by stating the definition of an Unidentified Flying Object.

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2008 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

It reminds me of the term “supernatural”, which I see as an oxymoron. If it exists, it’s natural.

Posted: 13 March 2008 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2008-02-27

UFO sightings are interesting to me because even in these modern times we humans have an irrational fear of the dark/unknown/etc.  How else can one explain the infamous anal probe?  These beings are intelligent and advanced enough to travel light years to our little planet but they don’t possess sensory equipment sophisticated enough to find out whatever they think they can learn from probing someone’s colon?  One would hope that if aliens could make it here they would have more interesting things to do than putting together a survey of polyp frequency in humans. 

My favorite theory is the modern version of the hairy creature from the forest who steals babies—Aliens who are actually advanced humans from the future who have lost the ability to reproduce and they need our genetic material to replenish the gene pool.  So they can travel back in time but they cannot engage in fairly basic genetic engineering and/or artificial insemination.  This process requires thousands of alien abductions whereby the abductee can only be made to remember through hypnosis.  It’s not a bad idea for a science fiction novel.