2 of 2
Huckabee and “God’s Standards”
Posted: 17 January 2008 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

It’s a joke, Mriana. Everything on The Onion’s site is satire.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 17 January 2008 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

It’s facetious Mriana.  A bit of a venting for the frustrations of caring people.  It accurately points out how bigoted Romney and his crony companions are.  Not only do all of the republican candidates oppose same sex marriage (accept I’m not sure what Ron Paul is up to there), but Huckabee, Hunter and Romney openly support a constitutional ban on gay marriage.

Posted: 17 January 2008 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

:oops:  I did it again.  I’ve always had a hard time with satire.  :(

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 17 January 2008 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14
fotobits - 17 January 2008 09:28 AM

From The Onion Network News, “Mitt Romney Defends Himself Against Allegations of Tolerance.”

Video

LOL

The Onion, the nation’s finest news source.

I loved the pull-quote at the bottom of the screen: “Bigot vote crucial to Romney Campaign”.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 17 January 2008 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4081
Joined  2006-11-28

Oh, if only we had a smiley for milk squirting out of one’s nose! That is the BEST bit of political satire I’ve seen in years!

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 17 January 2008 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

My favorite bit of political satire—hands down—is THIS piece of inspired Onion satire.

NB: it came out in January of 2001, around the inauguration of GWB.

Good satire can be positively prescient. Better than Nostradamus any day.

wink

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 17 January 2008 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

That’s a great one, Doug. I remember reading it when The Onion published the piece, and getting chilled realizing it just may be true. being a Native Texas I’ve known about GW Bush for a long time, and absolutely knew he was going to screw things up royally, but he exceeded even my worst fears with the War in Iraq.

Regarding Romney’s win in Michigan, keep in mind that only Hillary Clinton entered the Democratic race in that state. Daily Kos and other liberal web sites recommended that Democrats vote for Romney in Michigan (which holds an open primary) to throw a monkey wrench in the Republican race. Considering the Republican candidates received many more votes than the Democratic candidates the liberal web sites may have succeeded.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 20 January 2008 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

Two things are profoundly frightening about his comment.
1. He truly believes it, and he truly believes he is doing good. I don’t see any attempt to be mean, vicious-in-fact as it is.
2. Millions of US citizens, who can and will vote if he is nominated, are dead sure he’s right.

Fortunately, I think (dare I hope, at long last) he went too far this time.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 21 January 2008 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2007-12-09

I thought the Onion “National Nightmare” piece was a masterpiece when it was published.  But as bad as any informed person would have expected Shrubypoo to be, who could have imagined how truly predictive the Onion article was?  How depressed we would have been to realize what foresight the Onion’s writers unwittingly displayed!

Along that line, I think high school students, approaching voting age as they are, should be required to study Eisenhower’s farewell address along with the Declaration and the Constitution.

Actually, we should all study the General’s words again and again, in my opinion.

EDIT:  Well, I took my own advice and went back and studied Eisenhower’s speech again.  Unfortunately, while his concern and warning about the military-industrial complex was prescient, to put it mildly, it’s fair to say that most high school students would be misled, if not misinformed, by the religious elements of the speech, and by Eisenhower’s cryptic warning about “scientific and technological elites.” 
Too bad such a vital warning, about which Eisenhower REALLY knew what he was talking about, is obscured in the other mish-mash.

[ Edited: 21 January 2008 06:12 AM by Trail Rider ]
 Signature 

Brad

Posted: 21 January 2008 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2007-12-09

Disregard this.

[ Edited: 21 January 2008 06:04 AM by Trail Rider ]
 Signature 

Brad

2 of 2