Darwin Day
Posted: 17 January 2008 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-10-04

Greetings CFI Community!
I am a member of the CFI Community of Fort Lauderdale. We will have a public celebration of Darwin Day this coming February 9 at a local park, and we were lucky enough to enlist the help of the Broward County Parks and Recreation Division, hopefully we’ll be able to repeat the event every year.
Now, because of this, we have set a Web page (On Darwin Day Page) with all the Darwin Day events that we are aware of throughout the US and Canada. This could very well allow all of the organizations involved to have “at a glance” information of what is being planned, and hopefully will also enable all of us to communicate and exchange info, and even coordinate activities.
So, if you are part of a local CFI (Or similar) community and are planning anything for Darwin day, please let me know, I would love to include your event in our Web page. If you are not planning anything: Would you like to? What would you need to have an event in your area?

Floyd J. Carinci
CFI Community Of Fort Lauderdale

Signature 

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.Mikhail Bakunin

Posted: 23 January 2008 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

I am involved with a secularist & atheist organization that might be interested in doing something for Darwin Day.  I would also like to check with the local science center to see if they have anything planned in honor of Darwin.  Unfortunately I couldn’t get the link you provided to work (I’ll try it again later, once I get home).  It would be helpful if you posted a short list of the variety of activities that will be going on.  That might help to spark some interest in how easy it is to participate in something of this kind.  Thanks for making this information centrally located.

Scott

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 24 January 2008 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-10-04

Hi Scott, I hope you got the link to work, it shows you the myriad of Darwin Day activities that are going on through the country. The good thing about it is that the links on our page takes you to the organizer’s websites.

Signature 

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.Mikhail Bakunin

Posted: 30 January 2008 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21

Check out my Darwin Day Design

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 30 January 2008 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
morgantj - 30 January 2008 07:39 AM

Excellent work, morgantj. Love it.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 30 January 2008 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-08-21
dougsmith - 30 January 2008 09:01 AM

Excellent work, morgantj. Love it.

Thanks Doug!

Signature 

Posted: 11 February 2008 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

I heard that people are wearing yellow tomorrow 2/12 to celebrate Darwins Birthday.  I was not previously aware of this campaign, but I plan on following suit.  I hope others join in.  It should be interesting to see if you run into anyone else who shares your support.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 11 February 2008 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Do you know why yellow?

Posted: 11 February 2008 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

Nicely done.

Posted: 12 February 2008 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

If anyone is looking for music to help you celebrate Darwin’s Day, I recommend Vangelis’s L’Apocalypse des Animaux. I love the music and themes’ titles fit the “spirit” of the day:

• Creation du Monde (Creation of the World) — I think this one might have been featured in Sagan’s Cosmos
• La Mer Recommence (The sea begins once again)
• La Mort du Loup (The death of the wolf)
• Le singe bleu (The blue monkey)
• La Petite Fille de la Mer (The little girl from the sea)

Let your imagination run free! “The little girl from the sea” could be about all of us having evolved from the sea, “The blue monkey” about our common ancestor with a monkey, “The death of the wolf” about the survival of the fittest, “The sea begins once again” about a time following a major extinction…

Posted: 24 May 2008 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-05-24

I know i’m a little late on the thread, but great design!  i’ll be sure to look for darwin day activities next feb 12….

Signature 

“Imagination creates reality… Man is all imagination.”  -Neville (1905-1972)

Posted: 24 May 2008 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-08-21

Thanks BjaOckX!

Signature