2 of 3
We can CLONE HUMAN BABIES now. Opinions?
Posted: 24 January 2008 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree, George, but the business of using one person’s skin cells to make spermatozoa, would still be sexual reproduction with the continued new mix of genes.  Only the y chromosome would be gone and replaced by another x chromosome.

Occam

Posted: 24 January 2008 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

The only legitimate ethical concern that I can think of is the matter of who takes care of the parentless child.  Otherwise, this is a wonderful thing.  Consider the technological possibilities for the future of medicine.  Such potential for the preservation of life and the alleviation of suffering.

Posted: 25 January 2008 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09
erasmusinfinity - 24 January 2008 06:09 PM

The only legitimate ethical concern that I can think of is the matter of who takes care of the parentless child.  Otherwise, this is a wonderful thing.  Consider the technological possibilities for the future of medicine.  Such potential for the preservation of life and the alleviation of suffering.

I see a major ethical concern in the invitation to grotesque egotism. That applies to cloning babies, of course, not to the use of cells for medical purposes.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 25 January 2008 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2007-09-21

Egotism?  How so?

Posted: 25 January 2008 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09
erasmusinfinity - 25 January 2008 05:42 AM

Egotism?  How so?

Are you being serious?

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 25 January 2008 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2007-09-21

Yes.  I’m not challenging your point.  I’m just not sure what you mean.  Are you suggesting egotistic motivations for he work of the scientists, or are you expressing fear that a parentless child will become a detached and non-social individual?

Posted: 25 January 2008 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

I guess I didn’t make myself clear with my future scenario where males wouldn’t be needed.  One woman would contribute her skin cells which would be turned into sperm and used to fertilize her partner.  The child born would have two parents, the woman who gave birth and the other woman, her partner, who contributed the skin cells.

So the little girl would be cared for in a regular two parent home, and I don’t see any egotistic movivations for women in a world without males using this method to procreate.

Occam

Posted: 09 March 2008 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

I wonder how fundamentalist Christians would react if we were able to make a clone of Jesus. You know, if they somehow had enough DNA from some sample found. If they refused to do so, invariably there would be (yet another) a split in the church because some Christians wouldn’t want to prevent the 2nd coming.

Posted: 09 March 2008 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02
PLaClair - 25 January 2008 10:58 AM
erasmusinfinity - 25 January 2008 05:42 AM

Egotism?  How so?

Are you being serious?

PLaClair, the baby may physically look like the person, but the personalities would not be the same.  They would be as much alike as twins, for the most part.  So what egotism?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 10 March 2008 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2006-10-22
Kaizen - 09 March 2008 06:53 PM

I wonder how fundamentalist Christians would react if we were able to make a clone of Jesus. You know, if they somehow had enough DNA from some sample found. If they refused to do so, invariably there would be (yet another) a split in the church because some Christians wouldn’t want to prevent the 2nd coming.

Interesting scenario.  Of couse, even if someone could find his remains the DNA would have been degraded enough after 2,000 years that it wouldn’t be cloneable.  However, there was a Startrek TNG episode with this kind of basis.  Some Klingon priests cloned their equivalent of Jesus, and brought him up, teaching him everything about their beliefs.  He was led to believe he was the reincarnation, and it worked because everyone accepted him as their savior.  However, when he was challenged and couldn’t do some of the things the original could, the whole charade broke down.  (Mriana probably remembers his name.)

I could see some Christian priests trying the same thing.

Occam

Posted: 10 March 2008 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24

Whilst I believe the cloning of humans should be tightly regulated on the basis that we are special (to us not in any spiritual sense) I have no issue with this at all and strongly believe that that the potential for the technology is mind-blowing. As Michio Kaku hinted at in his Quantum Visions series on BBC these kind of technologies could open the stars up for us ... even if humans can’t live on some planets, perhaps modified humans can.

Mind you, it looks like the Catholic Church will object ... [expletive deleted]!

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 10 March 2008 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Kaizen - 09 March 2008 06:53 PM

If we had Jesus’s DNA, we could see that he had a father, a human father, not a beam of divine light. There would be no dispute if anybody should prevent the 2nd coming or not, as the DNA would prove that Jesus was indeed not a son of god to begin with, and Christianity could very much pack it in.

Posted: 10 March 2008 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

What you say, George, is reasonable, but that’s its flaw - the fundamentalists don’t use reason.  Instead, they’d all be trying to figure out how to separate the chromosomes from the father so they could impregnate their women with the sperm of god.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 10 March 2008 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

Which of the multiple crosses, shrouds etc would you be extracting this DNA?  Assuming this technology were possible I expect there would be multiple Jesi (plural for Jesus) to choose from, from various time periods.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 10 March 2008 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08
Occam - 10 March 2008 12:19 AM

Interesting scenario.  Of couse, even if someone could find his remains the DNA would have been degraded enough after 2,000 years that it wouldn’t be cloneable. 
Occam

Yes, but what if a mosquito bit him and was stuck in a drop of sap, the DNA quality might be good enough to create an island of Jesuses. I’d call it Jesus Park.

2 of 3