1 of 2
Rogues’ Gallery
Posted: 24 January 2008 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  542
Joined  2007-09-29

I hope this isn’t a repeat. I was sure i put this up a half hour ago or so.

But it’s too good to miss:

http://www.reformation.org/

Check out especially the ‘Thank God the Earth Doesn’t Move’ section. SEE the meanest looking picture of Kepler ever drafted by the hand of man! SEE Jesuits and Protestants unmasked in their mutual conspiracy to make the earth move! SEE beautiful downtown Cabotia! SEE how to screw up science AND religion!

cheers,

Kirk

Posted: 24 January 2008 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Looks loony to me, Kirk, perhaps you can enlighten us as to what you think the web designer had in mind.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 January 2008 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-09-29
dougsmith - 24 January 2008 08:54 PM

Looks loony to me, Kirk, perhaps you can enlighten us as to what you think the web designer had in mind.

Well - speaking technically - I’m jiggered what prompts it, and I just hoped to start exactly what the title suggests, a list of seriously weird sites. Why not just take him at his word? But you meant what inner spring prompted him, since the site isn’t just wrong, it has the air of a disturbed man to it.

IF it’s serious - and it’s possible it’s an elaborate hoax, but the boring astronomy-lesson in the geocentric section tells against it - then he’s scared. That’s the short answer. He’s so scared that he doesn’t trust his god to help him. That’s more imho than grubby fact, tho’. Note how little actual ‘religion’ or theology or god-talk there is - whatever you want to call it. It’s all about sorting out friend from foe, and sainting the friends and damning the foes. You’d think his god hasn’t lifted a finger to make him one whit happier. Finally, you’ll note the writer never misses an opportunity to twist a word like a knife. He’s exceedingly angry at something or someone.

It’s a curious historical fact that conspiracy-theories and small, slightly weird sects and hermeticism proliferated after the late middle ages. Science had some pretty strange bedfellows for a couple of centuries. One cause for the proliferation may be, a little counter-intuitively, the looser grip of a large organized religion on people.

One comment on the site itself as a phil of science guy. There’s a very anti-theory sort of cast to it - note the ‘wysiwyg’ comment in the geocentric earth section. That puts (informal) observation on the highest pedestal possible, and gives argumentation very little independent status.

kirk

[ Edited: 24 January 2008 10:29 PM by inthegobi ]

Posted: 22 March 2008 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-03-22

Thanks for the link! Very Entertaining. I tried reading it thinking it was satire while in the back of my mind I realized that If I sent this page to some of my family members they would respond with - “Amen!”

You are correct about that Kepler picture. Pure Evil.

Posted: 22 March 2008 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-03-21

I think this is a wonderfully tongue-in-cheek site.  Went to a lot of work though, didn’t he?

Posted: 23 March 2008 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-22

Indeed.

Posted: 24 March 2008 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-09-29
KanuiLabs - 22 March 2008 12:55 PM

Thanks for the link! Very Entertaining. I tried reading it thinking it was satire while in the back of my mind I realized that If I sent this page to some of my family members they would respond with - “Amen!”

It seems unlikely to me it’s a hoax; look at all the time the guy spent adding the boring and perfectly true basic stuff about the seasons etc. Wouldn’t a hoaxster have done something funny with that too?

This is an interesting discussion. Without asking the guy who wrote it (and he might lie to us), are there signs that mark a document as a hoax? As sincere?

To me, it smells sincere.

Kirk

Posted: 24 March 2008 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

I may have missed some of the tongue-in-cheek aspects to this, but it looks like a call for religious individuals who understand science and history to become religious of a different persuasion and put to rest a “portion” of their cognitive dissonance.  I say why make half measures?  Finish the equation.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 24 March 2008 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-22

Its hard for me to take these kind of websites seriously. Newspaper Comics and television shows mock these kind of beliefs (i.e. south park if you have the patience to watch it. Colbert does too but in a less extreme manner) by exaggerating the claims made by fundamentalists. I read them and optimistically think they are a hoax, but the pessimist in me knows they are not. Look at this site for example:

http://www.liberalsmustdie.com/CategoryView,category,Atheists+Burn+In+Hell.aspx

I cant help but crack a smile when I read things like “I hate Science and Math, and they need to be replaced in our education system with Bible and Religion classes if we are ever going to get anywhere.” I know these people take themselves seriously to the detriment of the fellow citizens; proselytizing to children, the gullible and undereducated (like themselves). Ignorance begets ignorance.

I once read an Anti-Atheist website that asked the readers how we thought the Hubble Space Telescope traveled to those nebula and far away galaxys if it were not for some divine reason. I very politely e-mailed him and explained that it was actually in low earth orbit. No Response. ( Unfortunately I cant find the site again otherwise I would have linked it)

Posted: 24 March 2008 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-03-21

Maybe the operant rule in questionable cases like this is to follow PT Barnum’s “no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the public”  dictum.  If the choice is between clever hoax produced by someone who has entirely too much free time or case study in blissful ignorance,  perhaps the latter diagnosis is the default one.??

Posted: 02 August 2008 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  669
Joined  2008-07-03

Results: about 1,730 for (Niall Kilkenny insane).

Posted: 03 August 2008 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2008-07-14

This one’s funny, but knowing christianity in this country it’s entirely possible to be true LOL

http://landoverbaptist.org/

Signature 

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite direction.
—Albert Einstein

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter
—George Washington

Posted: 03 August 2008 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  669
Joined  2008-07-03
Doc_Prospect - 03 August 2008 07:25 AM

This one’s funny, but knowing christianity in this country it’s entirely possible to be true LOL

Good to know there are a few Americans with functioning brains!

Posted: 27 January 2009 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-01-24
A Voice of Sanity - 03 August 2008 11:34 AM
Doc_Prospect - 03 August 2008 07:25 AM

Good to know there are a few Americans with functioning brains!

Ah, so true.  I though I was the only one till I saw this site!  Amen!  .... (Do I get to say Amen to something like that?  I don’t know the rules to ...what does Amen mean anyway?)

Signature 

“knowledge is power”

Posted: 01 February 2009 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
veriia - 27 January 2009 02:15 PM

Amen!  .... (Do I get to say Amen to something like that?  I don’t know the rules to ...what does Amen mean anyway?)

you get to say what you want - so long as you’re also willing to be reprimanded now and then
but then, that’s what makes it fun, me thinks.

Amen ~  let it be   /  make it so

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 01 February 2009 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

At first I was getting giggles from the goofiness of the reformation site ~ thinking sure enough: idles hand (&mind;) are the devils playground, hahaha.
Then, landoverbaptist got some chuckles outta me.
But, by the time I got to liberasmustdie the depression started sinking in.

Reason truly seems lost among the masses - It’s frightening because the only cure for  
    an over grown, over infested, over degraded forest is a wildfire.

Then, I think of my bubbly excited college freshman daughter - who though my only being a weekend dad to her - turns out to be as excited about life and with an adventurous spirit remarkably similar to my own ~ at her age.  But, it truly is a different world, one in which many if my youthful adventures would be impossible to repeat.  It makes me cry to think of how fast the world has changed and to consider the world she is going to grow into.  So one side of me knows the fire is coming and needed, the other side just grieves.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

1 of 2