3 of 3
How to think about science - an anti-science series on an normally objective podcast
Posted: 19 March 2008 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2008-01-06
philosopherdog - 15 March 2008 06:17 AM

Perhaps a more complete answer to this can be found by listening to David Abram’s talk in that “how to think about science” series. In the talk he argues that the Platonic world view of seeing the phenomenal world as ultimately illusory, and that fundamental reality is something static and knowable mathematically behind the flux of experience, is itself an incredibly dangerous idea. It’s a delusion very much tied up with the way that science is done and helps us understand why we are so tolerant of nature’s destruction, since what we normally believe nature to consist of is its sights and sounds. Anyhow, this is a very large topic. If you’re interested start by listening to the Abram talk. It was quite brilliant and eye opening. Cheers!

It’s on my MP3 player—I’ll give it a listen in the next few days and report back.  Thanks!

P.S.: Best wishes, Daisy!  You’re exhibiting admirable courage and optimism in response to what I know is a very painful injury.

Posted: 28 March 2008 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  212
Joined  2008-02-25
Ron Webb - 19 March 2008 05:18 PM

P.S.: Best wishes, Daisy!  You’re exhibiting admirable courage and optimism in response to what I know is a very painful injury.

thank you so much, I’ve been back for a good 10 days now, yesterday I looked at the pics I took the first week, and the leg looked like it came out of freaking a horror movie. It is simply amazing how much humans can overcome. I owe my swift return to the science behind those high tech dresses. As far as I am concerned, they are scientifically miraculous!

..An undying Gratitude to the Scientific Community.

3 of 3