1 of 2
Firefly
Posted: 03 February 2008 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

Any fans of the short-lived Fox series Firefly? I rarely find anything worth watching on TV, and I was very impressed by this series. Clever, entertaining, explored some interesting topics, and the lead hero was an atheist!

It’s become a bit of an obsession recently, and I’m currently reading through Finding Serenity, a volume of essays about the series. There is an interesting essay by Lyle Zynda looking at one of the episodes, Objects in Space, from the point of view of existentialist philosophy. This touches on some of the debates we’ve had here about moral relativism. Any comments? If you haven’t seen it, consider this a strong recommendation.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 03 February 2008 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

My wife and I loved the show. I was impressed with the depth of the characters, and how the writers used the characters to explore different moral points of view. We were both upset when Firefly was cancelled. TV needs more shows of that quality.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 03 February 2008 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Unfortunately, I never even heard or read anything about it.  Apparently, it wasn’t given any publicity.

Interestingly, the main character in both Bones and House, also on Fox, are also atheists although they don’t usually make much of it.

Occam

Posted: 03 February 2008 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-10-21

House is dressed up Christian apologetics.

I am so disappointed with House.

But Firefly was a great series. Everything about it was good, from the characters, to the dialogue, to the themes, and frankly I loved the setting. I love westerns and the show oozed the whole western genre while offering something unique and entertaining.

I really wished they didn’t shuffle the show all the time, then cancel it. I don’t understand why networks think audiences want to invest a lot of time tracking down the shows they like to watch them.

Posted: 03 February 2008 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

I had never heard of it, but my daughter was back from college over the holidays and she suggested the movie ‘Serenity’ for New Year’s Eve (since she had seen the one I suggested).  After that I am slowly downloading the episodes from iTunes.  She said that Fox originally screened the episodes out of order (i.e. the pilot which sets the story was not the first shown) which was part of the problem.

Yes it’s fun.  I’m sorry it was cancelled.

The young girl River on Firefly who has escaped from a ‘special school for geniuses’  is now a few years older and plays the good protector robot from the future on the new Terminator:Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show.

Posted: 03 February 2008 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-07-05

http://www.stage6.com/videos/search:firefly/order:length

Male character: “Psychico!  That sounds like something out of science fiction.”

Female character: “You live in a space ship dear.”

ROFL

I watched the pilot and one episode.  The combination of western and sci-fi just didn’t cut it.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 03 February 2008 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

Yes, it was an interesting mix of genres. I hate Western’s passionately and avoid them at all costs, yet the Western elements didn’t bother me a bit in Firefly.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog

Posted: 03 February 2008 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

A good example of the value of your longer attention span, Brennen.  I feel the same way about westerns so would have switched channels at the first sign of a ten gallon hat, steer roping, or western horse riding.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 10 February 2008 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
goodthink - 03 February 2008 12:50 PM

I am so disappointed with House.

Give it another chance, goodthink. Have you seen this? grin

Posted: 14 February 2008 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-11

Hmmm, I’ll really have to try that book Brennan.  I loved the series as well, though only caught on to it after it was cancelled through the boxed DVD set.  After watching the episodes I was really disappointed there weren’t more. 

Book: “What are we up to, sweetheart?”

River: “Fixing your Bible.”

Book: “I, um…(alarmed)...what?”

River: “Bible’s broken. Contradictions, false logistics - doesn’t make sense.” (she’s marked up the bible, crossed out passages)

Book: “No, no. You - you can’t…

River: “So we’ll integrate non-progressional evolution theory with God’s creation of Eden. Eleven inherent metaphoric parallels already there. Eleven. Important number. Prime number. One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. Noah’s ark is a problem.”

Book: “Really?”

River: “We’ll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit 5000 species of mammal on the same boat.” (rips out page)

Signature 

JF

Posted: 14 February 2008 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-11

My husband and I wanted to paint another quote from Mal on our wall when he’s talking about the war against the Alliance.

“a few idiots tried to fight it, among them myself.” 

pretty much sums up our life.

Signature 

JF

Posted: 14 February 2008 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

JF,

There are two books of Firefly/Serenity essays, Finding Serenity and Serenity Found. HERE’S the Amazon link to the first. Quite variable quality in the essays, but overall good reads.

Yes, I have a variety of Firefly quotes up at work:

Mal: “Might have been the losing side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.”

Wash: “Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal” and “I am a leaf on the wind”

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog

Posted: 04 March 2008 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2007-08-27

Good post J Free..i liked that.  Yes I found the dvd show series on my netf** subscription.  I watched it in order and I loved it.  Best sci-fi on network tv I can remember plus the 2 hr movie.  How the heck did it get cancelled?  I don’t watch TV much mostly rent cuz it’s so bad.

Posted: 04 March 2008 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24

[quote author=“mckenzievmd”]Any fans of the short-lived Fox series Firefly? I rarely find anything worth watching on TV, and I was very impressed by this series. Clever, entertaining, explored some interesting topics, and the lead hero was an atheist!

Yes I have it on DVD and it is is truly awesome ... it’s a shame the film (“Serenity”) didn’t meet the same exacting standards Whedon set for the series.

I strongly disagree that Mal Reynolds is an atheist ... cool as he is, to my mind he’s very clearly a disaffected theist.

[quote author=“mckenzievmd"It’s become a bit of an obsession recently, and I’m currently reading through Finding Serenity, a volume of essays about the series. There is an interesting essay by Lyle Zynda looking at one of the episodes, Objects in Space, from the point of view of existentialist philosophy. This touches on some of the debates we’ve had here about moral relativism. Any comments? If you haven’t seen it, consider this a strong recommendation.

Someone is philosophising about a fictional series? Jesus! Next thing they’ll be starting a religion on it ... ah god damn it, the Christians have already done it!

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 04 March 2008 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24
rodin46 - 04 March 2008 06:19 AM

Good post J Free..i liked that.  Yes I found the dvd show series on my netf** subscription.  I watched it in order and I loved it.  Best sci-fi on network tv I can remember plus the 2 hr movie.  How the heck did it get cancelled?  I don’t watch TV much mostly rent cuz it’s so bad.

The rumour (and that is all it is) is that Fox cancelled it because they didn’t like the philosophical/religious stance of Reynolds and whilst I think that may have been a minor factor I think poor scheduling is more at fault ... apparently it was shoved around all over the place and not given a decent spot in which to sit in order to make its mark. It’s kind of ironic that it seems to have far more fans now than it ever had when it was shown ... it’s very popular amongst SF phreaks in the UK.

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 27 May 2008 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  823
Joined  2008-01-23

Yea well I cannot stand westerns and think ST was self important over indulgent space opera that has been ruining the TV sci-fi genre for years. I really liked firefly, it was just great fun and unpretentious. Serenity disappointed it should have been far better than the last three Star Wars (given the TV series pedigree) well it was but still could have been far better, anyway it did get me to watch Firefly.

1 of 2