2 of 2
Firefly
Posted: 27 May 2008 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-05-24

i saw Serenity in the theaters when it came out, i didn’t know of the show firefly to know it was tied in at all.  the movie could have been better, but i’m a sucker for the sci-fi so i still enjoyed it.  i have to agree with the others on the western/sci-fi mix…  i hate most westerns, especially western based tv shows.

Signature 

“Imagination creates reality… Man is all imagination.”  -Neville (1905-1972)

Posted: 05 June 2008 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-05-27

Loved Firefly, and loved the genre mash-up.  I guess already admiring steampunk makes for an easy transition when it comes to mixing unlikely things.  It was a very refreshing series compared to not just the other sci-fi shows but all TV in general.  Not that that is too difficult…

I’m no big fan of Westerns either, but understood what they were trying to convey by using that genre and I thought it made sense, and the odd blend of that, the sci-tech and other stylistic elements such as the dominance of Chinese culture pulled together in a weird but wonderful way.  Firefly was such a nice change from the typical gleaming spaceships and spiffy uniforms.  Face it, pioneers are never clean.  Smugglers aren’t clean.  Technology isn’t always pretty and often breaks down.  Melting-pot cultures do boast bizarre, unexpected, and amazing fusions.  It isn’t necessary to have aliens in a TV show set in space.  Progress is inevitably messy work.  British accents aren’t always posh.  Farming is hard work, no matter which planet you’re on.  Prostitution isn’t going to magically disappear, ever.  Widespread English/Chinese bilinguality isn’t so hard to believe, if you think about how this might come about.  Rough lives make rough people.  Wars actually mess people up.  And so on, because I have more of these and I can ramble further about Firefly a lot.

If the style, the facade, is all that’s getting in the way of people watching it, I’d urge you to look a little deeper and listen a little longer before making up your mind.  Of course, not all things are for everyone, it may be a case of “acquired taste” for some also…but it was a great show.  The film, not so much (would really have preferred more episodes, boohoo) but oh well.

Signature 

I think therefore I’m awesome.

2 of 2