3 of 3
Race - Past, Present, and Future
Posted: 17 February 2008 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
mckenzievmd - 17 February 2008 10:07 AM

All kinds of stories can be made up

I am not making this up.  mad I find it is much easier for me to lie to my wife (I have brown eyes, hers are light green), that it is for her to lie to me.  LOL

Posted: 17 February 2008 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Brennen, are we the only animals with white sclera?

Posted: 18 February 2008 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

Brennen, as George said, it is wonderfull to read your post. Thank you for take the time to write them.

I find the explanaition of the emergence of white skin in the north very interesting. I allways thinked that it was a neutral variation, which emerged because of the likes and dislikes of our ancestors, but this explanaiton does much more sense.

Also I thinked that the torn eyes (the typical asian eye shape… I don’t know if they are called ‘torn eyes’ ) emerged also because the preferences of the people on this groups, do you have any idea about it?

Posted: 18 February 2008 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

George,

Human eyes are unusual among primates in several ways, with the idea currently popular that it is so following the gaze of another is easier, thus facilitating social coordination. Unpigmented sclera are rare among primates, though I’m not certain if the feature is absolutely unique to humans or not, and there are other features of the eye that seem consistent with this theory (e.g.).

Barto,

I don’t know much about the evolutionary theories regarding the epicanthal fold, though I know that they are present in utero in most ethnic groups but then disappear before or shortly after birth in some, and that theh persist in adulthood in widely-separated groups from various parts of the world. Might have some functional significance or might be a neutral trait, I’m really not sure.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 18 February 2008 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

George, my father had very light blue eyes and long eyelashes, and he could lie atrociously while looking completely innocent.  grin
(Maybe it’s just that you’ve had more practice, George. LOL )

I’m not sure, but I seem to have read that the Asian eye fold helped avoid dust during wind storms.  However, that doesn’t seem to make sense based on Brennen’s statement that they are present in utero.  That would indicate that the shift away from them either offered some advantage or that it was a neutral mutation.

Occam

3 of 3