Welcome to the CFI-Pittsburgh Forum
Posted: 12 March 2008 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-03-12

Welcome to the CFI-Pittsburgh Forum. Our plan is for this forum to be a place where our local members can meet and discuss, ask questions, make announcements and get to know one another. My name is Tom Ridge and my object has been to get this sight up and running. Where it goes from here will be up to our members and visitors. Please feel free to offer advice to this temporary Novice-in-charge and point out any problems and/or snags.

[ Edited: 12 March 2008 06:34 PM by Tridge ]

Posted: 16 March 2008 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-08-29

Hi, Tom (and everybody else). I hope that this works out as well as it looks like it can. It sure beats having to drive for 45 minutes to have some rational conversation at Harvard’s.

Posted: 17 March 2008 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-17

I’m on shaky ground, but trying hard to fit into the category of computer nerd.  doublej

Posted: 19 March 2008 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-08-29

Looks like you’re doin’ okay to me. Pretty soon it’ll be second nature. wink

Posted: 03 April 2008 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-04-02

Hi, my name is Marlana.  I read about the Center for Inquiry in the City paper some time ago.  I have yet to make it to any of the general meetings or any other functions due to my work schedule.  I hope some time in the near future I will.

Posted: 03 April 2008 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-17

Hi Mariana:  We look forward to meeting you in the near future.  There are a lot of good people in the CFI Community Pittsburgh, and you will be warmly welcomed.  Doublej P.S.  If you would like to know more about coming activities, I suggest that you visit the website where our newsletters are archived.  http://www.centerforinquiry.net/pgh.

[ Edited: 03 April 2008 06:52 PM by Jones ]

Posted: 29 April 2008 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-04-29

Hi there.  Just wanted to introduce myself - I’m Laura and I’m excited to see there is an active group of freethinkers in Pittsburgh.  I am hoping to become more involved and plan to attend the movie night!

Signature 

Laura

http://www.laurawithoutlabels.com
http://www.weavemagazine.net

Posted: 28 June 2008 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-28

Hello everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Chris, and while I don’t live in the Pittsburgh area I am currently working on trying to move my family there.

I am excited to see active networks of free thinkers.  I look forward to when my wife and I can attend some of the events.

Chris

Posted: 15 April 2009 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-15

Hey, this is Becca, checking in and saying hi. I am heading an effort at U of Pitt to get a freethought/atheism group started, and hoping we can hammer out details in the next week. Theres a story behind the new interest, but frankly, it’s long. Hemant Mehta of Friendly Atheist did a blog post about the initial impetus for it. Link here

Posted: 24 February 2010 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi.  I’m Lynn.  I’m originally from Pittsburgh but just moved back here after a five year absence.  I am really looking forward to getting to know people who share my worldview.

Posted: 29 May 2010 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-29

hi all….im dave. i live in castle shannon, a native pittsburgher who has come back home.

grew up in a multi religious household, until, praise jesus, i saw the light and shed my caveman beliefs and took the lonely and difficult road of “knowing nothing is better than believing in total bullshit”

im fan of: dawkins, dennett, harris, pinker, among others.

i’ll have that say that freethinkers like myself can run into problems when we become too focused on other people’s opinions. spending energy to make rebuttals feels good and is cathartic, but its a low energy thought space. its petty in a way. in a world completely dominated by religiosity, its hard to not want to push it back. but i think the pushback, directly, is one that wont build the movement. it hardens up people, and is why some call atheism a religion in itself. they see it as invasive and offensive. man that blows my mind…how is reason offensive to anyone?!?

rebutting a religious person, as many of you know, is just not worth it (teaching a pig to sing analogy- they will only get annoyed) but i think the direction we should be pointing (people who believe in science) in is how can we make this shit appealing to the masses? at the end of the day, skepticism in the hands of a select few is not going to change much. we need to convince people that reason is far more satisfying.

ok so thats a nighttime rant before bed.

nice to meet you, and i look forward to reading the forum, and hopefully meeting up. im a screaming atheist and have much in common with you.

cheers

Canoe trip ››