6 of 6
Austin Dacey - The Secular Conscience (merged)
Posted: 03 June 2008 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2006-10-12
Jackson - 02 June 2008 07:17 PM

I’m not following you…are you saying this is how you feel treated in this forum or in daily life?

I have not felt any attacks inappropriate from this forum,… however, you all remind me of a band that plays to many notes and the tune becomes stale but, boy are you good. Arguments between truth and elusion should be debated daily until we get it right,…..don’t you think….. So, I say we can know and it is not based on objective inference and subjectively placed in the known column. The fact, if humans did not exist the ability to perhaps exist still does and as a result will not always negate the fact that it does not.

Signature 

Cosmic Cave

Posted: 07 June 2008 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09
Jackson - 03 June 2008 03:55 PM
PLaClair - 01 June 2008 05:56 AM

Also like Prof. Dacey, I believe that the human person is what merits respect. For us, not discussing a point of disagreement is not respect. Respect is holding each of our fellows to the same standard to which we hold ourselves, and discussing disagreements openly, honestly and as intelligently as our abilities will allow. (Listen to the brief segment from Dr. Dacey’s interview under customer Len Nobs’ customer review at http://www.amazon.com/review/product/1591026040/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1).

What is it that you see Prof. Dacey wants us to do differently?  I think that I see an increase in discussion along the lines Dacey is talking about, but maybe I am becoming more atuned to the topic.

Certainly people are holding clergy publicly accountable for chilid abuse.

I think the Internet is gradually changing communications (my children get their news online rather than the nightly network news).

Anyway, I’m not sure if Dacey is pushing for individual initiative or encouraging a groundswell of collective effort.

To the extent that any of us is refraining from honest criticism of opinion, he’d like us to stop refraining and engage the discussion. A person and his opinion are not the same thing.

Individual initiative and collective effort are not mutually exclusive. On the contrary, the one feeds the other. This is a false choice.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

6 of 6