Greetings from Norway
Posted: 24 March 2008 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-03-24

I guess I should introduce myself. I am, as you can see, from Norway. I have read some of the introductions here and it seems that many members of this forum has had to face their families and friends with their beliefs. I guess I’m lucky because I never have had to defend myself for my beliefs and thoughts in the way many here has had to. It’s probably because over here religion isn’t a big part of everyday life, at least not in my family and social circles. Of course, I know people of many different religions and “cults” (if I can use that word), but I guess it isn’t so important for the average man (or woman) here.

That said, this looks like an interesting forum and I look forward to participating here.

Signature 

Men for the sake of getting a living forget to live.  -Margaret Fuller

Posted: 24 March 2008 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome haarod.  Jump right in and join us.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 24 March 2008 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Welcome, Haarod.  You are right that religion plays a major role in much of the U. S.  However, it is strongest in the center and south of the country.  We along the coasts have far less problem with it.  For example, I was born in Massachusetts (north-east coast) and brought up in Southern California (west coast).  Religion was absent from my family and from most of my friends, and even if some were theists they never discussed it. 

I’m looking forward to seeing your views on various topics.

Occam

Posted: 25 March 2008 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4721
Joined  2007-10-05

Welcome aboard haarod. Glad to you have you here.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 25 March 2008 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the forum, Haarod. Agreed with Occam that religion is important in certain parts of the US but is far from dominant throughout.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos