10 of 10
Vegetarian?
Posted: 05 July 2008 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7503
Joined  2007-03-02

I guess I’m not the only one who cringed at what AVoS said.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 05 July 2008 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Total Posts:  669
Joined  2008-07-03
erasmusinfinity - 05 July 2008 06:35 PM

AVoS,

It seems to me that you are attempting to legitimize your own chosen misdeeds on the basis that nature behaves even more cruelly than yourself.  From this line of reasoning would you also justify a genocide on the basis of a natural disaster?  I hope that you will consider that your level of personal responsibility is significantly different when you take part in the pain and suffering of others then it is when it operates outside your circle of influence.

And what makes you think that animals live better lives being raised for food than they do in the wild?  It seems to me that the opposite is quite obviously the case.  Have you seen how animals are treated in factory farms?

Your argument seems very emotional, begs the question and is otherwise unconvincing.

I also do not advocate factory farming methods.

Posted: 05 July 2008 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

I certainly was not wishing to spark an emotional reaction from you.  wink
Does this mean that you do not “feel” for addressing my rational points?

Posted: 05 July 2008 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Joined  2008-07-03
erasmusinfinity - 05 July 2008 06:49 PM

I certainly was not wishing to spark an emotional reaction from you.  wink
Does this mean that you do not “feel” for addressing my rational points?

I was unable to locate any rational points. Instead, you are trying to analyse my psyche.

On this planet, what is the moral imperative against eating animals?

Posted: 05 July 2008 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Joined  2007-09-21

It inflicts great pain and suffering upon them.

Edit - I should be clear.  Eating them doesn’t necessarily cause so much pain or suffering.  It is the process that leads to eating them that inflicts great pain an suffering upon them.

[ Edited: 05 July 2008 07:43 PM by erasmusinfinity ]

Posted: 06 July 2008 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Joined  2008-07-03
erasmusinfinity - 05 July 2008 07:39 PM

It inflicts great pain and suffering upon them.

Edit - I should be clear.  Eating them doesn’t necessarily cause so much pain or suffering.  It is the process that leads to eating them that inflicts great pain an suffering upon them.

Then let us fix that.

Posted: 06 July 2008 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Joined  2007-09-21

Wouldn’t the discontinuation of the practice of raising animals as livestock to be slaughtered and eaten be the most sure way to do so?

Posted: 06 July 2008 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Joined  2008-07-03
erasmusinfinity - 06 July 2008 05:38 AM

Wouldn’t the discontinuation of the practice of raising animals as livestock to be slaughtered and eaten be the most sure way to do so?

What will you do with chickens which no longer lay eggs?

Posted: 06 July 2008 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
A Voice of Sanity - 06 July 2008 09:22 AM
erasmusinfinity - 06 July 2008 05:38 AM

What will you do with chickens which no longer lay eggs?

Good question. I suppose the entire country is unlikely to up and stop eating meat right this day. If this were to happen, the change might be gradual. As people began eating less meat, the demand for grains and other non-animal goods would rise. Farmers who breed livestock might gradually switch to other farming methods, such as grains, legumes, fruits or vegetables, as their livestock depleted.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 14 July 2008 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Joined  2007-09-21

HERE is a wonderful PETA podcast about vegetarianism entitled Vegetarianism in A Nutshell.

It is quite a bit less shock oriented than Meet Your Meat or Earthlings.

Posted: 14 July 2008 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Joined  2008-07-03
Jules - 06 July 2008 10:48 AM

Good question. I suppose the entire country is unlikely to up and stop eating meat right this day. If this were to happen, the change might be gradual. As people began eating less meat, the demand for grains and other non-animal goods would rise. Farmers who breed livestock might gradually switch to other farming methods, such as grains, legumes, fruits or vegetables, as their livestock depleted.

This in states where farmers feel fully entitled to wipe out American bison, cougars and wolves in order to protect the alien species such as cows and sheep that they graze on public lands?

Posted: 14 July 2008 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
A Voice of Sanity - 14 July 2008 06:26 PM
Jules - 06 July 2008 10:48 AM

This in states where farmers feel fully entitled to wipe out American bison, cougars and wolves in order to protect the alien species such as cows and sheep that they graze on public lands?

It was just a hypothetical situation, I was trying to provide a possible answer to the previous question. I don’t actually think square states will be taking up Tofu or animal rights anytime soon.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

10 of 10