"Detoxifying Foot Pads" on 20/20 (4/11/08)
Posted: 10 April 2008 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

John Stossel will test these pieces of quackery on Friday’s (4/11/08)  20/20

Knowing Mr. Stossel’s reasoned approach to such things, I think these will be shown for what they really are.  But I doubt it will affect the sales for these things one bit.  Sadly, the sales of them might actually increase.  Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 11 April 2008 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26

Just once I would like someone who sells these items and a million other “detoxifiers” to tell me in non-pseudoscientific terms exactly what these “toxins” are. Toxins are the idiot catch phrase of the worried-well in the 21st century. I guess anyone who is stupid enough to fall for this non-sense deserves what they get, but the hijacking of science to sell snake oil is a real problem.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 11 April 2008 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
macgyver - 11 April 2008 05:21 AM

Just once I would like someone who sells these items and a million other “detoxifiers” to tell me in non-pseudoscientific terms exactly what these “toxins” are. Toxins are the idiot catch phrase of the worried-well in the 21st century. I guess anyone who is stupid enough to fall for this non-sense deserves what they get, but the hijacking of science to sell snake oil is a real problem.

You got that right. “Detoxification” is meaningless in this context.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 23 May 2008 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-04-18
macgyver - 11 April 2008 05:21 AM

My understanding of toxins from when I was a New Age-believin’, raw-food eatin, juice-fastin’ vegetarian a zillion years ago is that we absorb all sorts of nasty chemicals in our modern American lives, e.g. chemical fertilizers, pesticides, air pollution, industrial waste, etc. and the body will store up more and more of these health-damaging poisons unless we take action to purge ourselves of them by doing stuff like eating organically-grown foods, living in an unpolluted environment, and doing so-called “detoxification” practices such as fasting, enemas, colonics, etc. etc.  Certainly people are exposed to the miracles of modern chemistry and industry every day, but the claimed effects on one’s health described by promoters of detoxification products are often dubious, and the products and practices are very dubious if not downright useless or hazardous.  That’s where all the pseudo-science is, replete with ludicrous consequences.  For example, the first cup of coffee I ever brewed in my life went into an enema bag and up my ass during a juice fast, because I had read that coffee enemas were useful in detox programs.  Before that I had only used warm water with some fresh squeezed lemon in it (a full half-gallon up the butt) in my quest for purity and health.  grin

My bible for all this woo during the mid- thru late-‘70s was a book named “Survival into the 21st Century” by Viktoras Kulvinskas, who helped make wheat grass juice famous.  If you ever chance upon this book, it’s worth looking thru, as it is one of the craziest, giddily woo-packed volumes of New Age late 20th century apocalyptic survivalism ever published.

Signature 

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
—- Richard S. Shaver

Posted: 23 May 2008 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-05-04

So…. what did the 20/20 special have to say on it??

Here it is, I just found it: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Stossel/story?id=4636224&page=1

[ Edited: 23 May 2008 05:46 PM by Amos ]
 Signature 

“Is there a God in heven, a devil in hell, or is the only light to be seen the one at the end of my cigarette?”

Posted: 23 May 2008 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7573
Joined  2007-03-02

My older son and I started laughing when we saw the ad on TV for these things.  I can’t believe people fall for such things.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 06 June 2008 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

They did test these on TV. I caught a bit of the segment, and it was funny. Putting distilled water on the foot pads produced the same “brown toxin stain” as people wearing them on their feet. What is sad is that they actually had to devote air time to proving the scam. That and the fact that so many people had fallen for it.

As far as detoxifying the body, I thought our livers did a pretty good job of that. But who needs internal organs when you can have sticky foot pads!

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor