BBC:  Psychic Ordinance in the UK
Posted: 18 April 2008 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2006-02-09

I heard this story today on the BBC new broadcast on a local NPR radio station. And see the comments below the article, especially Gareth from Swansea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7354089.stm
in part:
A change in the law could mean mediums, psychics and healers face prosecution if they cannot justify their claims. Spiritualists are delivering a mass petition to Downing Street and complaining that a genuine religion is being discriminated against.

Posted: 26 April 2008 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2008-04-26
Elizabeth K - 18 April 2008 01:05 PM

I heard this story today on the BBC new broadcast on a local NPR radio station. And see the comments below the article, especially Gareth from Swansea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7354089.stm
in part:
A change in the law could mean mediums, psychics and healers face prosecution if they cannot justify their claims. Spiritualists are delivering a mass petition to Downing Street and complaining that a genuine religion is being discriminated against.

I don’t see that people who belong to the spiritualist church have all that much to worry about.  Their members actually believe in survival after material death and mediums are assumed to undergo an ongoing process of spiritual development.  They are not fraudsters and large amounts of money don’t change hands.  The people who attend functions run by spiritualist churches are consenting and usually open and well-informed adults.

I think this legislation is aimed at tricksters and shams who promise things beyond well the scope of spiritualist mediums and usually have little to do with genuine spiritualism.

I think the questing public have responsibility also to question the claims some so-called mediums, clairvoyants and the like make.  In the same way I know many members of orthodox churches take the claims of their priests and hierarchy with a grain of salt smile.

[ Edited: 26 April 2008 06:26 PM by Light60 ]