Graveyard picture in the dark
Posted: 22 April 2008 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2008-04-18
Kyuuketsuki UK - 22 April 2008 02:27 PM
realchangeolympia - 22 April 2008 10:32 AM

Calling me a con? smile

Actually I gave you a choice ... I assumed you & your friend weren’t gullible and said either you were trying to con us or your friend is trying to con you. If there is another explanation outside of the bogus claim that these pictures genuinely represent some supernatural event then I’d like to hear it.

This really isn’t rocket science.

Kyu

My friend is, indeed, gullible - she’s into witchcraft, claims to have been abducted by aliens, and happens to be mentally ill with PTSD. Myself, I don’t believe in little green men, fairies, witchcraft, et cetera. I’m mentally ill too, but I am a Secular Humanist. She has tried many times to convince me that the world is going to end - it gets old. However, since I am a Secular Humanist, I take these claims of the paranormal with skepticism.

Hey, peace Kyu!  cool smile

Signature 

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

Montana Infidels

Posted: 30 April 2008 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-04-08

In the first pic, given that it’s night, the brightness of the ground proves it was a long exposure. The person playing with a light is the obvious explanation.

Posted: 30 April 2008 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-18
edhopper - 30 April 2008 05:03 PM

In the first pic, given that it’s night, the brightness of the ground proves it was a long exposure. The person playing with a light is the obvious explanation.

Obvious? There was one human and a dog. I agree that it was long exposure, but the light source had to be the crappy built-in flash. Otherwise, the digital camera takes great pictures in daylight.

Signature 

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

Montana Infidels

Posted: 01 May 2008 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24
realchangeolympia - 30 April 2008 09:31 PM
edhopper - 30 April 2008 05:03 PM

Obvious? There was one human and a dog. I agree that it was long exposure, but the light source had to be the crappy built-in flash. Otherwise, the digital camera takes great pictures in daylight.

I agree ... as I said earlier it’s not rocket science, the picture IMO is an obvious fraud.

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 01 May 2008 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-04-18

I agree, it’s fraud. The question I have now is, why? Attention maybe?

Signature 

Montana Infidels

Posted: 13 May 2008 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-10-22

Why not take the camera out some evening and try to duplicate it?

Posted: 15 May 2008 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  2142
Joined  2007-04-26

I do a lot of photography on the side( see http://www.liquidartgallery.com). I agree with doug 100% on this. Here is an example of a shot I took with a similar effect. This is a long exposure as my car drove past. P.S. - no ghosts were involved

2494320177_4628abe669.jpg

[ Edited: 21 May 2008 05:19 PM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 05 June 2008 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  4452
Joined  2007-08-31

Just my example of a ‘ghostly’ picture.

Ghost1.jpg

Done with a laser pointer, a flash torch for the face, and the room light for the rest.

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 05 June 2008 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

Okay, but how do we know that you are not really a ghost? grin

Posted: 05 June 2008 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
GdB - 05 June 2008 08:19 AM

Just my example of a ‘ghostly’ picture.

Done with a laser pointer, a flash torch for the face, and the room light for the rest.

GdB

That picture is so funny! I need some ghostly Scooby-Doo sound effects to accompany it.

I agree with the group - if you look up photography tricks you will see how prolonged exposure produces these effects. It’s a neat party trick. You can do it with a flashlight, a lit cigarette, or even car headlights as shown in the other post.

I wonder if there was a lightning bug flying around the graveyard, although those tend to blink, from what I remember of catching them as a child. I’m in the city now, so no lightning bug fun for me.

You mentioned your friend has some serious problems. You may want to avoid being confrontational about the odd nature of the claims, and instead quietly refer her for counseling. A young woman with delicate mental health should probably not be hanging out alone in a graveyard at night. It’s probably not good for morale.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 05 June 2008 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  4452
Joined  2007-08-31
George - 05 June 2008 08:27 AM

Oh, that is simple: I do not believe in ghosts. tongue laugh

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 05 June 2008 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29
GdB - 05 June 2008 12:46 PM
George - 05 June 2008 08:27 AM

Oh, that is simple: I do not believe in ghosts. tongue laugh

GdB

You could be a ghost with a low self-esteem. LOL

Posted: 05 June 2008 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

I have one problem with the long exposure hypothesis. The dogs head is too clear. Dogs don’t ever sit that still.

Posted: 05 June 2008 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14
cgallaga - 05 June 2008 06:11 PM

I have one problem with the long exposure hypothesis. The dogs head is too clear. Dogs don’t ever sit that still.

You can have a double exposure; part with a long-exposure, and then a flash to illuminate the background. Or you could superimpose two photos digitally. Lots of room for manipulation here ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 June 2008 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

Actually doesn’t need to be a double exposure at all ... just leave the shutter open for a few seconds while you wave around a light, then press the flash to fill out the scene and close the shutter.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

2 of 3