1 of 3
atheist cartoons
Posted: 19 April 2008 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-04-19

Hello. This is a nonprofit plug for my collection of original atheism-themed cartoons. Feel free to repost them. I can also make higher quality versions of the cartoons available to organizations for fundraising purposes, e.g., printing on T-shirts or greeting cards, or for printed newsletters. Thanks. atheistcartoons.com

Signature 

atheist cartoons

Posted: 20 April 2008 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Just to be clear, you are offering these free of charge?

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 April 2008 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-19

The cartoons on my site can be downloaded and reposted for nonprofit purposes (although, obviously, I can’t control how they’re used). And I can make available higher quality versions of the same cartoons to organizations free of charge for fund-raising purposes or, say, inclusion in newsletters, on a case-by-case basis. So, Doug, the answer is yes, I’m offering the cartoons for free, but please don’t profit personally from them, because I’m not. Thanks.

Signature 

atheist cartoons

Posted: 20 April 2008 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

The reason I ask is to verify that this isn’t a form of spam. There’s a fine line here, especially with first-time posters doing self-promotion. I’m frankly still a bit concerned about it.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 April 2008 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-19

Doug, as I understand it spam is ordinarily defined as a disruptive message, especially one that is commercial. I don’t see how my post is disruptive. It certainly isn’t commercial, as I’ve noted. Visiting my site should confirm that. And I’m not promoting myself—I’m promoting atheism and a little levity.  I am a first-time poster. and I understand your concerns as a conscientious admin. So if I’m bending any rules please let me know.

Signature 

atheist cartoons

Posted: 20 April 2008 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7573
Joined  2007-03-02

Well, I thought they were funny.  I esp liked the truth in advertising.  LOL  It nothing else, they could be entertaining to others.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 27 April 2008 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2006-03-19

Some of them are hilarious! Good work. I’m sure I can find a place for some of them.

Posted: 28 April 2008 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

Without in any way intending to contradict Doug’s moderation…

The artwork is brilliant Bill!  You made them yourself?

Posted: 28 April 2008 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-19

Thank you. Yes, I did all the cartoons in my free time. I’ve done some freelance illustration work on the side, but I prefer to do educational/editorial (which usually means unpayed) stuff, like cartoons. I’ve also dabbled in Flash animation, but I find it extremely difficult to produce anything in a timely fashion working in Flash by myself. Static cartoons don’t require a team, but in the Flash/YouTube era, their popularity seems to be fading.

Signature 

atheist cartoons

Posted: 28 April 2008 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2007-09-28

I’m outraged! who’s embassy should i torch?

or I could get some perspective and respect the rigths of others to mock my beliefs and make me look like a fool. (hmm, i suppose i do that last bit with every post!)

Ski.

Signature 

hmmmmm  π

Posted: 28 April 2008 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Those are brilliant! Can I ask what design tools you used to create them?

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 29 April 2008 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-19

Thanks. I start with a rough sketch on paper, scan it, then import the image into Illustrator. In Illustrator I trace the sketch using a Wacom tablet, pen tool and Illustrator brushes. I then import that file into Photoshop, where I add color, again with a tablet and pen tool. I type the dialog into the speech bubbles using a comic font, i.e., I don’t hand letter.

Signature 

atheist cartoons

Posted: 30 April 2008 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

Thank you for sharing. Pardon my ignorance, but after scanning the art into Illustrator, why do you then have to trace it? Something to do with vectorization, perhaps? The work really is beautiful!

Signature 

Posted: 30 April 2008 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-19

Thanks again. And vectorization is exactly the thing. By importing the rough sketch into Illustrator and then tracing, I now have clean vector lines that I can make thinner or fatter, reshape and resize without any loss of clarity, unlike working with pixels in Photoshop. This is a crude analogy, but it’s kind of like the difference between spray painting a line on a canvas (Photoshop), and rolling and stretching out a long piece of Silly Putty (Illustrator).

Signature 

atheist cartoons

Posted: 30 April 2008 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

Thanks Bill, that makes sense. I guess I’m a little surprised that Illustrator can’t vectorize lines automatically.

So… Apple or “regular” PC???

Signature 

Posted: 30 April 2008 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-19

Adobe used to make an application called Streamline which could vectorize scanned images. I used it for a while with mixed results. I’m not using the most recent version of Illustrator, which may be able to vectorize automatically, but I can’t imagine that you’d get the same level of control or simplicity as drawing lines by hand. Mac isn’t supported very well where I live, so I reluctantly went over to Windows years ago.

Signature 

atheist cartoons

1 of 3