2 of 2
Death by Homeopathy
Posted: 28 September 2009 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2007-10-05

Parents sentenced to prison
Six years for the father, four years for the mother.

That poor baby. I do not understand how anyone, especially the parents, could let a baby suffer so horribly from something treatable.

Dejected supporters left court still reeling from the judgment.

Supporters question excaim

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 28 September 2009 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

Yes, only something as potent and irrational as religious faith could lead to such bizarre cruelty. Homeopathy requires just such true belief.

I did think it odd that the judge gave extra jail time to the father because as a homeopath he had “an extra duty of care.” The whole case illustrates why homeopaths cannot be considered health care providers in any meaningful sense, any more than shamans of any other vitalist healing ritual system, so it seems a little contrradictory to imagine is training as one should have made him better able to discern the seriousness of his daughter’s condition.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 30 September 2009 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2009-09-29

It is sad, I have my doubts about homeopathy. But how come nobody talks about 100,000 deaths a year in US hospitals due to incorrect medicines or incorrect dosages?

Skeptic

Posted: 30 September 2009 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

Skeptic,

People talk about it all the time. The media loves to run stories on medical error rates, and Congress loves to hold hearings on the topic. The difference is that scientific medicine acknowledges that all benefits come with risks and that the effort to reduce those risks is important and must be ongoing. Homeopathy, and many other forms of CAM, argue that they are effective and risk free even if there is no evidence to support that, and then when they hurt of kill someone they distract attention from it by claiming that real medicine is even worse. Nothing si perfect, but despite all the complaints about the failings of modern medicien, we are living loinger and healthier lives than any human beings in the history of the species thanks to it. If CAM is held to the same standards of efficacy and safety maiinstream medicine is, then those pieces that prove their claims will be happily adopted and those that don’t will remain marginalized, as they should. I don’t see why this strikes anyone as unreasonable. Unfortunately, CAM too often is a form of religion in which personal experiences and testimonials (aka personal revelattion and faith) are considered adequate “proof” of absolutely anything and scientific evidence is considered irrelevant. I’d ike to see how supporters of this approach would react to a doctor who invented his own drugs based on theroies that contradicted known science and then gave them to patients with no evidence they were safe and worked. I suspect he/she’d be crucified.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 19 October 2009 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
BryceHarper - 19 October 2009 11:58 AM

Doctors and homeopaths need to work together.  Too many doctors prescribe drugs that do not work ie toe fungus and are bad for you.  However, too many homeopaths need to do more with traditional medicine.  It works both ways on the negative side.

Doctors have to go through a rigorous training program including postgraduate university and a residency program. Those practicing homeopathy ‘need’ no such training, and have minimal understanding of how science or the body works. How would you reconcile this difference?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 October 2009 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
asanta - 19 October 2009 12:26 PM

Doctors and homeopaths need to work together.  Too many doctors prescribe drugs that do not work ie toe fungus and are bad for you.  However, too many homeopaths need to do more with traditional medicine.  It works both ways on the negative side.

Doctors have to go through a rigorous training program including postgraduate university and a residency program. Those practicing homeopathy ‘need’ no such training, and have minimal understanding of how science or the body works. How would you reconcile this difference?

(FYI: I deleted this account because it appears to be a spammer).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 19 October 2009 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
dougsmith - 19 October 2009 12:45 PM

Let me guess, he was selling a fake cure for toenail fungus?  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 19 October 2009 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 19 October 2009 03:31 PM
dougsmith - 19 October 2009 12:45 PM

Let me guess, he was selling a fake cure for toenail fungus?  LOL

Hmmmm, I wonder if the water I’m drinking has memories of all of the cool dinosaurs that pooped in it?? LOL  cheese

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 October 2009 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Hey! The evidence-based toe fungus medication worked for me. No more gross black toenails. I can wear sandals in public again without embarrassment, which was a good thing this past summer when it was 100 degrees or hotter every day.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 19 October 2009 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
fotobits - 19 October 2009 04:23 PM

Hey! The evidence-based toe fungus medication worked for me. No more gross black toenails. I can wear sandals in public again without embarrassment, which was a good thing this past summer when it was 100 degrees or hotter every day.

tongue wink I’ll bet dino poop water would have been just as effective!!

Signature 

Posted: 19 October 2009 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

After being diluted for 65 million years it should cure everything.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 19 October 2009 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
fotobits - 19 October 2009 04:32 PM

After being diluted for 65 million years it should cure everything.  LOL

That’s what I’m saying!! LOL

Signature 

2 of 2