Narnia
Posted: 19 May 2008 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  971
Joined  2005-01-14

I don’t think it’s fair that certain Christians will criticize every detail in the Harry Potter books, but C. S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia apparently get a free pass.  I’m not talking just about matters of Christian doctrine, either.  Blind faith is treated as a virtue and skepticism is made fun of.  If one character claims to know what Aslan wants them to do, the other characters are clearly expected to put aside their quite sensible objections and believe her.  But that’s only to be expected in a Christian book.

“Prince Caspian” contains lots of pagan nature spirits, like fauns, dryads and nymphs, not to mention Bacchus, Silenus and some river god who was released by destroying a bridge—all of whom seem quite chummy with Aslan (the great lion who supposedly represents Jesus).  What happened to “thou shalt have no other gods before me”?  One character, Dr. Cornelius, casts spells (minor spells to be sure, but the Old Testament condemns all magic).  The book contains elements of sexism, racism and other examples of judgmentalism.  At one point, Aslan romps through a town, invading a school and deliberately frightening the teachers and most of the children away.  The author clearly disapproves of “dumpy, prim little girls with fat legs”, and “boys who looked very much like pigs”.  Only one girl is deemed worthy to join the good guys, at which point Aslan’s followers “helped her to take off some of the uncomfortable and unnecessary clothes that she was wearing”!  Can you imagine how quickly conservatives would be demanding this book be banned for that line alone if it was written by anyone but C. S. Lewis?  wink