1 of 2
Numerology
Posted: 24 May 2008 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-05-04

Numerology,

I don’t know much about this. I have friends that swear by it… but to me it is just another myth.

What do others here think??

Signature 

“Is there a God in heven, a devil in hell, or is the only light to be seen the one at the end of my cigarette?”

Posted: 25 May 2008 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

By “numerology” do you mean something like the claim that certain numbers have magical properties? That’s a transparent myth.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 June 2008 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I was at a fundraiser dinner for a local animal shelter last month, and this topic came up. It was very, very entertaining.

A lovely woman sitting at our table had way too many drinks during dinner, and she began stammering on at the end of the night about how the number four was magical for her in some way. She said everything in her life had something with the number four connected to it. She than began listing things like “My daughter was born on January 4” and “I have three siblings so there are 4 of us” and other gems such as “I got a ticket going 74 mph on the highway.”

She was sweet so we all played along, but began having great fun with the “Number 4” quotes, slipping them into the conversation and chuckling when she did not get the joke in her intoxicated state.

“Wow, you should hire a numerologist. I hear they cost around four hundred dollars.”
“Look! Four people at the table ordered the Tiramisu!”
“Sorry, have to run. I told the babysitter I would be home by 11:04.”

It made the otherwise boring fundraising speeches bearable. Thankfully, the loopy woman was not driving herself home that night.

The rest of us discussed amongst ourselves how you could find certain numbers in anything if you looked. I recall someone sending an email out after September 11 talking about how the number 11 was in “every aspect” of the terrorist plots. Shortly thereafter someone debunked it by picking another random number, 2, and tying that number to everything in the attacks as well. http://www.snopes.com/rumors/elevens.asp

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 05 June 2008 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Yep, and this is one of the problems with all that “Bible Code” and Kabbalistic nonsense. You can basically pick out any message you want with those sorts of techniques.

For more see HERE (and the links at the bottom).

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 10 June 2008 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2008-06-10

Although a fascinating subject and it can get a little freaky sometimes, try this experiment. As you drive to work or go about your travels, keep a color in mind. Something like yellow or pink. Or think about the type of car you drive, not the manufacturer, but model and you will notice all the sudden how many more of them you will suddenly see. Its basically a trick you make your mind play. You make yourself more aware of something subconsciously and you start seeing it (more like picking up on everyday things) more and more.

However, do not let anyone disprove this for you if you really believe in it. If you swear like crazy that when you see the number 63 or whatever it may be and you have good luck, don’t lose that perception. Some, like myself believe that if you can subconsciously alter your thinking and trick yourself into it being a lucky number it will become just that. Kind of like the old saying “Visualize yourself winning or doing something before you do it, and it will happen”. Call me crazy but don’t underestimate the power of your mind. Everyone underestimates it.

Signature 

_Common sense isn’t so common_

Posted: 11 June 2008 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

But this is all ex post facto. The problem is when people then think it has any predictive value: e.g., that you will have unusually bad things befall you if you live on the 13th floor of a building.

Visualization tricks can work in some sports, probably by strengthening certain neural pathways necessary for moving with dexterity. But you cannot visualize yourself into winning the lottery. The lottery balls don’t care about your visualizations.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 11 June 2008 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2008-06-10

True it is impossible to visualize winning something based purely on randomized numbers. However many people who win the lottery choose numbers that have significant value to them. Such as birthday dates of a spouse or numbers they feel are lucky to them.

Signature 

_Common sense isn’t so common_

Posted: 11 June 2008 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20
awisemanoncesaid - 10 June 2008 08:09 PM

...don’t underestimate the power of your mind.

...to deceive itself.  wink

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 11 June 2008 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
awisemanoncesaid - 11 June 2008 07:51 AM

True it is impossible to visualize winning something based purely on randomized numbers. However many people who win the lottery choose numbers that have significant value to them. Such as birthday dates of a spouse or numbers they feel are lucky to them.

... as do many of the people who lose the lottery. Indeed, I’d venture to say that most everyone who plays the lottery chooses numbers that way, and almost all of them lose.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 11 June 2008 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20
awisemanoncesaid - 11 June 2008 07:51 AM

...many people who win the lottery choose numbers that have significant value to them. Such as birthday dates of a spouse…

Actually, people who do this are even less likely to win than they normally would be.  By choosing dates, they limit themselves to numbers up to, but not over, 31 - since no month has over 31 days.  But since lotteries usually use numbers into the 40s, people who use dates are limiting themselves of nearly 10 or more possible winning numbers. 

The lottery:  A tax on those who can’t do math.  cheese

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 11 June 2008 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

The lottery:  A tax on those who can’t do math.

LOL !!!!

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 11 June 2008 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
awisemanoncesaid - 10 June 2008 08:09 PM

Kind of like the old saying “Visualize yourself winning or doing something before you do it, and it will happen”. Call me crazy but don’t underestimate the power of your mind. Everyone underestimates it.

Ah, like the book “The Secret.” The book touts “like attracts like” and “positive thinking attracts positve reactions.” For example, if you want to get out of poverty you simply envision yourself already living like a king, and the wealth will come to you. If things are not going well in your life, it says this is because you’re not being positive enough. Oprah swears by it, so it must be true…

My sister, a brilliant entrepreneur, fell for this book. Despite being so smart in business, she is very gullible. Some of the people who collaborated to write the book “The Secret” are best known for channeling dead people and speaking in tounges at seminars they charge a lot of money to attend.

But I don’t hold it against her, she is vunerable to this type of thing. She also spends her money on “Pet Psychics” to find out what her cat is thinking, even though I assured her I could read its mind for free. It was thinking of tuna.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 11 June 2008 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2008-02-27

Jules,

Obviously channeling the dead is not going to help, but there’s a difference between visualizing oneself as successful and visualizing oneself winning the lottery.  In the former, someone can use their visualization as a goal and then build a constructive plan to reach their goal.  I hate to be on the side of Oprah in anything, but positive thinking can have a subjective effect on the thinker.  There are all sorts of intangible qualities that make one successful in business such as confidence and positiv thinking can have a positive effect in those areas. 

Actually I was channelling the cat, he was thinking “Meow meow meow meow (think the theme song from the Meow Mix from a few years ago)”  You sir are a cat psychic charlatan!

Posted: 11 June 2008 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

But the beauty of being a “pet psychic” means I could insist the cat was thinking of tuna, and no one can prove me wrong! I could start my own “pet psychic” business, telling concerned owners their cats are thinking of tuna, and their dogs are thinking of beef. They would find my conclusions amazingly accurate, and recommend me to friends.

I agree that visualizing yourself as successful is a good motivational tool that can give you confidence. But “The Secret” claims that if you envision an open parking spot in front of the building, one will be there when you pull up, and if it doesn’t that means you didn’t envision it hard enough. It claims to be an actual science, the “science of like-attracts-like” being “a secret law of the universe” that we don’t know about. Funny, I always thought positives and negatives attracted. Anyhow, this is much different from envisioning yourself as successful to gain confidence before a big meeting.

Signature 

Posted: 11 June 2008 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Sadly, most pet psychics are psychological predators, taking advantage of people’s attachment to their pets and their pain when their companion is ill or dying. I can’t tell you how many such people I’ve seen who refused to admit their pet was in pain, suffering, and in desperate need of euthanasia because they sought out a pet psychic who told them what they wanted to hear-that their pet wanted to stay with them as long as possible, no matter the cost. Or people whos pets had run away and were never found but who were comforted by “messages” of happiness from their pets through a psychic. Lying to people who are in pain and vulnerable to make a buck is evil, and frankly I’m not impressed with the defense that many of these folks believe their own BS. The pets suffer just as much whether the communicator is deliberately lying or just deluded.

As an example of the nonsense people are fed by such folks (from a previous thread)-

“I had a classic case of AM (alternative medicine) reasoning the other day I thought might be interesting and illustrative. A woman brought her dog in 1 year ago because her AM practitioner (Vega Method style of homeopathy) detected signs of leukemia. Patient had some vomiting and diarrhea. Did bloodwork and no abnormalities found, treated symptomatically for upset stomach (it was a lab, so probably ate something it shouldn’t have), and it got better. A year later, the client comes back, this time because the dog is panting more than usual and her AM practitioner decided it had a sarcoma in its chest. Again normal diagnostics (bloodwork, x-rays) here. I reminded her that she had been worried about leukemia, whcih never developed, a year earlier. Her response was that the AM practitioner had not only NOT made a mistake, but had detected the leukemia before we were able to and cured it. So here’s how it works. About once a year this homeopathist predicts the dog has cancer. When no cancer is ever found by us, she gets the credit for finding and curing it before we can even see it. And when it eventually does develop cancer (which is the leading cause of death for this age and breed), she will get the credit for correctly predicting it. How do I get a racket like that?! ”

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 11 June 2008 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
mckenzievmd - 11 June 2008 01:37 PM

“I had a classic case of AM (alternative medicine) reasoning the other day I thought might be interesting and illustrative. A woman brought her dog in 1 year ago because her AM practitioner (Vega Method style of homeopathy) detected signs of leukemia. Patient had some vomiting and diarrhea. Did bloodwork and no abnormalities found, treated symptomatically for upset stomach (it was a lab, so probably ate something it shouldn’t have), and it got better. A year later, the client comes back, this time because the dog is panting more than usual and her AM practitioner decided it had a sarcoma in its chest. Again normal diagnostics (bloodwork, x-rays) here. I reminded her that she had been worried about leukemia, whcih never developed, a year earlier. Her response was that the AM practitioner had not only NOT made a mistake, but had detected the leukemia before we were able to and cured it. So here’s how it works. About once a year this homeopathist predicts the dog has cancer. When no cancer is ever found by us, she gets the credit for finding and curing it before we can even see it. And when it eventually does develop cancer (which is the leading cause of death for this age and breed), she will get the credit for correctly predicting it. How do I get a racket like that?! “

That method of “diagnosis and treatment” is disgusting. Sadly, there are “AM” practitioners that use this same predatory practice on people, telling them they have cancer and then telling them they cured it. Why do ethics keep ME from running rackets like this? I could be RICH.

My little dog has an enlarged heart and related chronic bronchitis. We spent lots on diagnostics and ongoing treatment. When I mentioned this at the animal shelter I volunteer at, several shelter workers suggested I take her to some “homeopathic vet” they all swear by, who would prescribe herbs to cure her enlarged heart. They then gave dozens of anecdotal stories such as “my dog was in kidney failure, then Dr. So and So gave me an herbal tea to put in his water and he lived six more months before he died!” or “my dog had horrible arthritis and Dr. So and So gave me a supplement that regenerated his hips!” Seriously, if there was a miracle herb, would not the pharmaceutical companies have extracted the active ingredient for marketing by now? “You can’t patent herbs, so the pharmaceutical companies don’t want you to know about them” they say. Seriously. It must be some herbal conspiracy.

These same shelter volunteers all paid $150 each to attend a seminar by a well known “pet psychic” that would teach them to be pet psychics too. “Learn animal telepathy!” the brochure said. They said they all meditated and learned to “open their mind to what the animal was telling them.” So whatever popped into their mind was supposedly what the animal was “telling them” and they were told to trust what their mind was saying. My mind was saying “If you each gave that $150 to the animal shelter instead of the pet psychic, we’d have 10 more spay/neuters done this month, as well as some advertising for the adoption fair!”

This lovely group of volunteers, interestingly enough, includes the lady with the numerology tie to all things with the number four. The one at the fund raising dinner that we all made fun of, who I mentioned earlier in the thread. So the people who paid $150 for the pet psychic seminar were laughing at the lady who was obsessed with the number four. Funny how that works.

This all makes me bash my head into my keyboard repeatedly. These are educated women. How could they possibly believe this crap? I can’t stand some of the things they believe, but continue volunteering with them because the work is important to me. Besides, they are all sweet ladies, even if they are suckers. Hopefully the bits of reason I inject into the conversations start to sink in - but it’s been five years, so I’m not too hopeful.

Signature 

1 of 2