Posted: 06 June 2008 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Have you seen these?

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=kAd0aWxs7kQ

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=ju5yIFu4yY8

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=V94shlqPlSI

I remember there was a conference in Spain (Bilbao?) last year to discuss the health hazards of the cell phones and I believe they came to a conclusion that there were none. Those video clips kind of make me doubt that. I’ve also heard that the disappearance of the bees might be related to cell phones.

Posted: 06 June 2008 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14

Hi George,

The thread about the conference last summer (HERE) contains the reason for the effects in those videos.

(In fact the conference was largely about cellphone towers rather than the handsets themselves, and one of the scientists made the comment that since we do hold handsets close to our face, effects from them are going to be somewhat greater than from the towers, which are going to be at least several feet away).

So how is it that cellphone radiation can pop popcorn? Because it heats things up. The effect is purely thermal. The radiation is incapable of breaking chemical bonds; this is not a matter of debate, it’s a matter of the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation that the phones emit—which is longer than visible light, hence at lower energy. If you’re worried about cellphone radiation, you should be very worried about allowing sunlight to touch your skin. Sunlight contains ultraviolet rays which can break chemical bonds and hence cause skin cancer. It can also pop popcorn if you do the same sort of trick that these folks did with their handsets: just use a magnifying glass or a few mirrors to focus the radiation.

Any link between the disappearance of bees (most likely due to a virus or some pesticide stress) and cellphones is completely speculative. Bees don’t use cellphones and typically aren’t anywhere near either handsets or towers. If they were affected by them they would be killed off by radio and TV emissions that have been going on for decades, not to mention the sun that I already mentioned.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 06 June 2008 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Thanks, Doug. Somehow I completely forgot about the topic being discussed here before.

Posted: 07 June 2008 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Robert Park, physicist and author of Voodoo Science, wrote an editorial for the Journal of the National Cancer Institute on this topic. You can read it HERE.

(JNCI Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2001 93(3):166-167).

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 07 June 2008 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4455
Joined  2007-08-31

Hi George,

In the reaction on the videos, you will find a simple calculation…
See here.

From the comment:

A 1 kilowatt microwave takes around one minute to pop it’s first kernel in a closed environment. A cell phone transmitter operates from 0.1 to 1 watt

BTW, if 3 cellphones can pop a corn, then you should feel the heat if you put your hand at close to the cellphone. And also: who says that the radio energy goes to the top of the cellphone? If I remember well what I used to know about antennas, then you have the best transmission if you put the antenna 90 degrees to the direction where you want the maximum of the radation. But of course, for a video, pointing to the popcorn makes a better impression…

So the only question for me remains how they did it. May be Randi has a suggestion?
And maybe you can test it yourself? Tell me about your results!

GdB

PS Here another calculation, similar results.

[ Edited: 07 June 2008 05:12 AM by GdB ]
 Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 08 June 2008 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
GdB - 07 June 2008 05:06 AM

And maybe you can test it yourself? Tell me about your results!

I did try it. Nothing happened. You’re right: if the heat is strong enough to pop the kernel it should burn your hand.

Posted: 08 June 2008 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4455
Joined  2007-08-31
George - 08 June 2008 06:28 PM

I did try it. Nothing happened.

Then make a video of it, and put it on youtube…

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 09 June 2008 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
GdB - 07 June 2008 05:06 AM

So the only question for me remains how they did it.

I would heat up the table from the bottom; in all three videos, the tables are covered by a tablecloth and you can’t see what’s happening under them. What is also interesting is that all the people involved in the videos are the same age, and the rooms look very much alike; especially the French and the American ones where the walls are painted the same colour.

[ Edited: 09 June 2008 05:45 AM by George ]

Posted: 12 June 2008 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-06-11

I just ran across a story about this on Yahoo:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/94863

Posted: 13 June 2008 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Thanks for the update, solidsquid.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 13 June 2008 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-06-11

No problem, glad to contribute.  Blatant deception to sell a product - it happens all to often.

Posted: 01 April 2010 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  6011
Joined  2009-02-26

Now I know why I don’t like to use my cell phone.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5odhh_pop-corn-telephone-portable-micro-o_news

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 01 April 2010 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Completely Fake ... or is this an April Fool’s?

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 April 2010 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  6011
Joined  2009-02-26
dougsmith - 01 April 2010 02:48 PM

Can anyone explain it? I was thinking , perhaps the vibration of some of the phones? I cannot see any slight of hand here.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 01 April 2010 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Write4U - 01 April 2010 02:52 PM
dougsmith - 01 April 2010 02:48 PM

Can anyone explain it? I was thinking , perhaps the vibration of some of the phones? I cannot see any slight of hand here.

Read the article I cited. This was debunked months ago. (There is an old thread about it somewhere on this site [EDIT: found and merged threads]; even I was taken in for awhile). It was an ad campaign of some sort.

Cellphone radiation does cause heat but it is extremely mild—significantly less than the heat produced by the sun on your face, and certainly of no danger, unlike sunlight which can cause cancer.

[ Edited: 01 April 2010 03:02 PM by dougsmith ]
 Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 April 2010 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Snopes always has your back wink. Anytime I hear a dubious claim (especially over email), snopes usually has something on it.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

1 of 2