2 of 6
Bill Maher and Religulous (Merged)
Posted: 18 August 2008 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Even though a variety of voices might be the best strategy, only a few of them will work. Maher’s documentary, in my opinion, is one of them.

Posted: 22 August 2008 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-10-14

For those who didn’t catch Bill Maher on Larry King the other night (Tues I think), here you go:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2008/08/20/lkl.bill.maher.cnn

He was fabulous!!

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 22 August 2008 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

That was great, thanks for the link. He and Jon Stewart are my favorite ‘entertainers with brains’. Perhaps these Jews can finally put the kabash on jesus.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 12 September 2008 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-09-09

This is a little off topic, but I think I read this over on ScienceBlogs… Is it true Maher is for ‘Eastern’ medicine over conventional medicine?

Regardless, this movie looks too good to pass up

Posted: 13 September 2008 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I don’t know if he is exclusively promoting “Eastern Medicine” but I know he is wary of what he broadly defines as “Western Medicine” (specifically the pushing of prescription drugs by pharmaceutical companies, his main grudge) and the current state of our health insurance system. I’ve seen him do an interview where he encouraged less use of prescription drugs, more psychical exercise, organic diet of primarily vegetable sources, and stress reduction techniques.

I guess we’ll just have to wait until he does a documentary on that topic to learn more about his opinions. Until then, I’m going to thoroughly enjoy his religion documentary.  smile

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 24 September 2008 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2006-08-28
Jules - 10 August 2008 04:25 PM

Those promo posters are very clever. I like the burned toast best!

Yeah, they’re quite clever! Think: the image of the Virgin Mary on a grilled cheese sandwichgrin

I think Darwin would appreciate this one:

293.religuous.poster.090908.jpg

Signature 

Fiction is fun, but facts are fundamental.

Posted: 24 September 2008 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Finally -  a way of getting the Christians, Jews and Moslems to cooperate.  I can imagine a nicely coordinated effort by all three religions to eliminate Maher.

Occam

Posted: 25 September 2008 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

Yes, this one is going to send the religious fundamentalists into the stratosphere. I’m curious to see just how ugly their response is.

Posted: 25 September 2008 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Protesters would likely increase interest in the movie.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 25 September 2008 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2006-09-19
traveler - 22 August 2008 07:11 AM

That was great, thanks for the link. He and Jon Stewart are my favorite ‘entertainers with brains’. Perhaps these Jews can finally put the kabash on jesus.

Then you may be interested to know that Maher is promoting the movie on the Daily Show this Tuesday (The 30th).

Posted: 25 September 2008 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Tuesday the 30th is Rosh Hashanah. What a odd choice of day to host Bill Maher to promote the movie!  wink

Signature 

Posted: 01 October 2008 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-10-01

Been waiting to see this for ever, thought it was coming out July but here at last.

Friday night it opens here so thats where ill be.

Posted: 01 October 2008 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 25 September 2008 12:17 PM

Tuesday the 30th is Rosh Hashanah. What a odd choice of day to host Bill Maher to promote the movie!  wink

Bill Maher was raised Catholic by his dad. He didn’t discover his mother was Jewish until he was older, he just knew she never went to church with the rest of the family. He has (to my knowledge) never practiced the Jewish religion. John Stewart, however, has frequently mentioned that he was raised in a Jewish family.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 02 October 2008 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Yes, I just thought it was funny that he (and Stewart) picked that particular day, with judaism being one of the three major religions he mocks in the movie. But I guess since Maher thinks religion is so silly, he probably feels it doesn’t matter what day he promotes the movie. He probably would have promoted it on christmas had the movie been released at that time!

Signature 

Posted: 02 October 2008 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14

Yeah Jules you rock! I heard the interview on Fresh Air with Maher and the director.(can’t remember his name)That grill cheese poster just made me laugh my guts out!!!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

2 of 6

‹‹ 2121: The age of reason      George Carlin ››