3 of 6
Bill Maher and Religulous (Merged)
Posted: 02 October 2008 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4534
Joined  2008-08-14
traveler - 22 August 2008 07:11 AM

That was great, thanks for the link. He and Jon Stewart are my favorite ‘entertainers with brains’. Perhaps these Jews can finally put the kabash on jesus.

Maher isn’t a jew.I heard him say it the other night.His mother was a jew,and he said that don’t make him a jew!What he says goes.
If I say I’m not christian,then I’m not christian.He says he isn’t a jew.Obviously he’s a Non-Believer!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 02 October 2008 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

I’m going to Religulous tomorrow, even though I will have to drive about 2 hours round trip because my town and the towns surrounding it aren’t showing it.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 03 October 2008 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

We’re having babysitter scheduling issues. Trying to make a late afternoon showing tomorrow or Sunday.  grin

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 03 October 2008 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Here is a new review from ticked off christians at MOVIEGUIDE®

“Religulous,” comedian Bill Maher’s new movie attacking Christianity and religion, is full of lies, half-truths, false assumptions, logical contradictions and fallacies, distortions, intolerance, prejudice, bigotry, arrogance, ignorance, and hypocrisy. Opening Oct. 3, the movie is a pathetic propaganda piece that will warp the hearts and minds of the gullible and the ignorant. It is also very poorly researched and argued.

Full Scathing Review

[ Edited: 03 October 2008 04:52 PM by Jules ]
 Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 03 October 2008 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 03 October 2008 04:45 PM

Here is a new review from ticked off christians at MOVIEGUIDE®

“Religulous,” comedian Bill Maher’s new movie attacking Christianity and religion, is full of lies, half-truths, false assumptions, logical contradictions and fallacies, distortions, intolerance, prejudice, bigotry, arrogance, ignorance, and hypocrisy. Opening Oct. 3, the movie is a pathetic propaganda piece that will warp the hearts and minds of the gullible and the ignorant. It is also very poorly researched and argued.

Full Scathing Review

Okay, now tell me what you really think! Wow, I can’t wait to see it, we’re going this evening!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 October 2008 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Isn’t it funny how scathing reviews slamming the movie will only make us want to see it more?  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2008 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I just came back from the movies, without giving too much away…..it was Maher all the way. It was a little more inflammatory than I would have wished for, I would have liked it to be a little more toned down so I would feel comfortable bringing in younger relatives, it is definitely an adult movie. The ending was almost all I could have wished for. I bought tickets on line, mistakenly for the wrong theatre, when I arrived, I had to repurchase the tickets as the other theater was 30 miles away, and the movie would start in 15 minutes. I actually didn’t mind donating an extra $36.00 to the movie.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 October 2008 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-06-20

does anybody know when or if this is going to be released in the UK?

Posted: 04 October 2008 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Oh Asanta, that’s too bad. Maybe they could refund you for the extra tickets? If not, maybe they could give you tickets to a different movie at the same theater as a compromise?

Glad you enjoyed the movie! I was hoping it wasn’t too inflammatory. I tend to cringe when that happens in a movie, or feel sorry for people. (Maybe I’m too nice?) But that is Maher’s style - and he’s going to deliver his message the way he wants!

Signature 

Posted: 04 October 2008 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 04 October 2008 11:37 AM

Oh Asanta, that’s too bad. Maybe they could refund you for the extra tickets? If not, maybe they could give you tickets to a different movie at the same theater as a compromise?

Glad you enjoyed the movie! I was hoping it wasn’t too inflammatory. I tend to cringe when that happens in a movie, or feel sorry for people. (Maybe I’m too nice?) But that is Maher’s style - and he’s going to deliver his message the way he wants!

Actually, he was very nice and generally respectful of the people he’d interviewed, it was the images he interspersed between the scenes that could be rather inflammatory. He seemed to be (usually, some of the people were quite impossible) trying to understand their point of view.

Signature 

Posted: 04 October 2008 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Oh OK, so he wasn’t inflammatory directly in the interviews. That’s a bit more pleasant than I was picturing. My imagination was running wild. smile

Trying again to arrange babysitter or drop the kid off at a friend’s tomorrow so we can hit an afternoon show! At this rate, I’ll buy it on DVD.

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2008 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Saw it earlier this evening.  It was fairly humorous, but some of the irrational theists were painful for me to listen to.  As it was going on, I couldn’t help but critique some of Mars’ non-theistic arguments.  Some were very good, but I could think of more telling ones in a number of cases.  What bothered me the most was that there were only about twelve people in the theater.

Occam

Posted: 06 October 2008 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 06 October 2008 10:00 PM

Saw it earlier this evening.  It was fairly humorous, but some of the irrational theists were painful for me to listen to.  As it was going on, I couldn’t help but critique some of Mars’ non-theistic arguments.  Some were very good, but I could think of more telling ones in a number of cases.  What bothered me the most was that there were only about twelve people in the theater.

Occam

Yes, I forgot to mention that the Berkeley theater I attended was half full.

Signature 

Posted: 07 October 2008 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2006-02-09

If you liked the trailer you should see the film.  Very good!  Albeit necessairly shallow.

Signature 

Fairness is Justice

Posted: 07 October 2008 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Wes, Asanta and I were referrring to having seen the entire film, not just the trailer.  I agree that many of the arguments were shallow, but that’s because the believers were giving them —not much more convincing than “God said it, I believe it, that settles it!”

I did get a kick out of the Vatican priest who readily admitted that the whole business was a confused set of fairytales. 

Occam

3 of 6

‹‹ 2121: The age of reason      George Carlin ››