1 of 2
$10,000 per month “Corporate Psychic”
Posted: 25 June 2008 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

When business people need a crystal ball, they turn to consultant Laura Day, the ‘intuitionist.’

Newsweek Article - Click Here

I was shocked to learn that major corporations are paying for this woman. I really have to brush up on my cold reading skills, as I am clearly in the wrong industry.

[ Edited: 25 June 2008 07:58 PM by Jules ]
 Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 25 June 2008 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-06-21

I would definitely not admit to that.

“Oh, what do you do?”
“I make shit up to dupe people out of 10,000 bucks.”

Signature 

I am lost. Rescue me sinking ship, please give me life dying man.
Who took, who misplaced my face?
Insane, crazy, blasphemous. The blaspheming monstrosity’s sad words are lost on the innocent, and the cultured, much too late to gain from such.

Poetry and Such?

Posted: 25 June 2008 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Really sad. Not sure which is worse, to sell that nonsense or to buy it.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 June 2008 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 25 June 2008 02:22 PM

Really sad. Not sure which is worse, to sell that nonsense or to buy it.

you forgot to add…..“or thinking it was a story that should be reported as a serious subject, thus giving it credence”. blank stare

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 June 2008 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4618
Joined  2007-10-05

I’ll never buy another Seagate hard drive.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 25 June 2008 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Oh - I made a mistake! I could have sworn the article said per DAY but I it said per MONTH. I will change that in the thread header now. I guess when I saw the the amount of money she charges I was so mad I couldn’t think clearly about what I was typing!

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 25 June 2008 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

I’d say that it is not the only stupid thing done by a large company, esp. in good economic context.

I don’t see a big diference between this woman and the consultant who write the economic situation report for the company I work for (those consultant are a very good known consultancy firm). They don’t show a great success rate in their predictions, and sometimes, they are even worst: at the begining of this sub prime loans storm they issued a comunication saying the market is sending contradictory signals, we will be comunicating the news to our clients as we receive them.  As I see it, if they are only to forward news, we could buy the newspaper and save a lot of money.

Posted: 26 June 2008 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24

Question ... is it possible that this Day is simply exceptionally intuitive and sees things from a different angle so that the changes she presumably suggests change a company’s MO for the better? Of course putting my seriously cynical hat on it wouldn’t be too hard to persuade companies to change because they all seem to love to mix things up so as to give an illusion of progress.

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 26 June 2008 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Kyuuketsuki UK - 26 June 2008 12:48 AM

Question ... is it possible that this Day is simply exceptionally intuitive and sees things from a different angle so that the changes she presumably suggests change a company’s MO for the better? Of course putting my seriously cynical hat on it wouldn’t be too hard to persuade companies to change because they all seem to love to mix things up so as to give an illusion of progress. Kyu

Hmmmm…......then I don’t know why I spent all of MY time in college taking courses to LEARN something. I could have saved my money and as a psychic to guide me into a money making career, or better yet, I could have promoted myself as a psychic to the corporations and made sooo much more money!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 June 2008 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

She declines to identify most of her clients, and almost all who spoke to NEWSWEEK also requested anonymity out of concern for their reputations.

I certainly wouldn’t do business with a lawyer who picked my jury, and interviewed witnesses on the basis of what a psychic thought. Can you imagine your physician consulting with a psychic to help him treat you with your illness?

Rebranded as “intuitionists” or “mentalists”—terms more palatable to mainstream America—psychic advisers in recent years have been crossing over into the world of legitimate business, where they are used by decision makers in law, finance and entertainment looking for an edge in a down economy. “I specialize in nonbelievers,” says Day, referring to her roster of “red-meat-eating, Barneys-shopping, Type A personalities.

A duck is a duck, no matter how you paint it, and a quack is still a quack!

Though she admits her teenager can be psychically distracting as well: “I don’t want to see what he did with that girl until 2 a.m.,” she says. “But I can.

Yeah…...right! That doesn’t take much imagination!

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2008 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Funny enough, I was reading cnn.com this morning and there was a new article about her:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/07/09/celeb.psychic/index.html

Wish I made as much money as her.

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2008 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 09 July 2008 05:27 AM

Funny enough, I was reading cnn.com this morning and there was a new article about her:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/07/09/celeb.psychic/index.html
Wish I made as much money as her.

Think up an original scam and you too can be rich beyond your wildest dreams!

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2008 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
asanta - 09 July 2008 11:32 AM

But these damn ethics… they keep getting in my way!

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2008 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 09 July 2008 11:35 AM

But these damn ethics… they keep getting in my way!

One could only hope that someday they get in hers…....but for some reason (and I’d bet her Prada shoes) they won’t.

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2008 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  669
Joined  2008-07-03
Kyuuketsuki UK - 26 June 2008 12:48 AM

Question ... is it possible that this Day is simply exceptionally intuitive and sees things from a different angle so that the changes she presumably suggests change a company’s MO for the better? Of course putting my seriously cynical hat on it wouldn’t be too hard to persuade companies to change because they all seem to love to mix things up so as to give an illusion of progress.

Kyu

I believe that I combine a degree of lateral thinking with an openness to leaps of logic and a technique I sometimes use of viewing the problem backwards. I also always try to combine two problems instead of merely solving one. Perhaps she does something similar. To other people it would look like intuition.

OTOH, some companies are susceptible to bullsh_t.

Posted: 09 July 2008 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  669
Joined  2008-07-03

The best one ever was the guy who sold a sex selection kit for babies. He offered a 100% money back guarantee. What a racket!

1 of 2