2 of 2
LHC - The 8 billion dollars experiment to find the Higgs boson
Posted: 01 August 2008 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1913
Joined  2007-10-28

Here is a cool article on the “cool” LHC from The New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/05/14/070514fa_fact_kolbert

Since Rutherford’s discovery, particle physics has provided one extraordinary—if increasingly implausible-sounding—revelation after another: first protons and neutrons, then antimatter, gluons, neutrinos, and quarks.

And yet, for all its triumphs, the field has been haunted by failure. The more physicists have learned about the way matter behaves at its most fundamental level, the more acutely they have become aware that something—a big something—is missing from their accounts. Among the many possibilities proposed for what’s often called “new physics” is that the universe actually consists of tiny strands (or strings) of energy; that it contains several dimensions beyond those that we perceive; that it is full of mysterious particles—“sparticles”—that have yet to be detected; that it is not a universe at all but a multiverse; and that it began not with a bang but with a splat.

The L.H.C. is a kind of Babel built underground.

Among his responsibilities is dealing with the frequent calls and letters CERN receives about the possibility that the Large Hadron Collider will destroy the world. When I asked about this, Engelen picked up a Bic pen and placed it in front of me.

“In quantum mechanics, there is a probability that this pen will fall through the table,” he said. “All of a sudden, it will be on the floor. Because it can behave as a wave, it can go through; we call that the ‘tunnel effect.’ If you calculate the probability that this happens, it is not identical to zero. It is a very small probability. But it never happens. I’ve never seen it happen. You have never seen it happen. But to the general public you make a casual remark, ‘It is not identical to zero, it is very small,’ and . . . ” He shrugged.

LOL

[ Edited: 01 August 2008 09:25 AM by kkwan ]
 Signature 

I am, therefore I think.

Posted: 01 August 2008 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Hypnos - 01 August 2008 01:42 AM

BTW, how come cartoon scientists always where labcoats?  The only time I ever wore a labcoat is in the machine shop.  (Work boots are most important to protect the piggies from falling tools.)

Because (s)he is a scientist! and everyone ‘knows’ all scientist wear lab coats! Then the lay public can point to the picture with a certainty and say “THAT is a scientist”, I’m shocked that you didn’t know that! It also works out well in the scientist favor, he can take off the coat and walk around incognito!  LOL  It works for doctors too! wink

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 August 2008 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  669
Joined  2008-07-03
macro820 - 01 August 2008 02:00 AM

Have you seen the suits they use to handle old war heads? They are plastic and they get welded in the suit and it gets pressure tested before they can enter.

Can you imagine Homer Simpson in one?

Posted: 01 August 2008 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

As I recall, in 1948 we all had to have white lab coats in Chem 1A, although the lab instructors never wore them.  I think the reason is that most of us were klutzes who couldn’t handle the materials carefully enough so that we wouldn’t spill them on ourselves or each other.  I think I tossed out my lab coat two years later when it was full of acid burn holes, and stains.  From then on I had enough confidence in my technique that I only occasionally ruined a shirt or pair of pants. LOL

Occam

Posted: 01 August 2008 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2008-02-27

Occam,

My father is adoctor who graduated from college in 1952 so you and he were probably burning holes in your clothes at the same time. 

However, he still wears the white coat today to see patients.  So does my wife, who is a nephrologist when she makes rounds at the hospital.  She says about 60% of other doctors do too here in Richmond Va so the tradition is not dead.

Posted: 01 August 2008 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
JRM5001 - 01 August 2008 07:08 PM

Occam,

My father is adoctor who graduated from college in 1952 so you and he were probably burning holes in your clothes at the same time. 

However, he still wears the white coat today to see patients.  So does my wife, who is a nephrologist when she makes rounds at the hospital.  She says about 60% of other doctors do too here in Richmond Va so the tradition is not dead.

Personally, I’d rather they didn’t (at least in the hospital), we usually ask them to take it off before visiting patients. Some don’t remember to wash it as often as they should (and WE have to point it out to them—yuck), and we don’t where they’ve been before their visit! I am not allowed to wear anything below my elbows in a patient room for sanitation reasons. I will be happy to see them gone for good!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 02 August 2008 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Yeah, my cardiologist is as old as I am and often wears the white lab coat.  However, my urologist often wears a Hawaiian shirt and Levi’s, but then this is California. LOL

Occam

Posted: 08 August 2008 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2008-06-25

September 10th

Signature 

Many bottles of alcohol were harmed in the making of this story.

Posted: 08 August 2008 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Occam - 02 August 2008 12:00 AM

Yeah, my cardiologist is as old as I am and often wears the white lab coat.  However, my urologist often wears a Hawaiian shirt and Levi’s, but then this is California. LOL

Occam

That’s not a Hawaiian shirt! It’s just what a urologist’s lab coat looks like after a week. surprised

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 08 August 2008 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2008-06-20
asanta - 01 August 2008 07:31 PM

....I am not allowed to wear anything below my elbows in a patient room for sanitation reasons. I will be happy to see them gone for good!

Ahem! I hope your elbows hang to your knees!!

smile

Signature 

I’m not sayin’....
I’m just sayin’....

Posted: 08 August 2008 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Shawn - 08 August 2008 11:40 AM
asanta - 01 August 2008 07:31 PM

....I am not allowed to wear anything below my elbows in a patient room for sanitation reasons. I will be happy to see them gone for good!

Ahem! I hope your elbows hang to your knees!!

smile

HaHaHa, I suppose I should have written more clearly ’ I cannot wear tops with sleeves past my elbows’! Otherwise, hospitals would be a MUCH more entertaining place to work! LOL

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2008 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Who knew the Higgs Boson would bring out clever wit from both Traveler and Shawn?  LOL  Well done to both of you.

Occam

Posted: 08 August 2008 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2008-06-25

LHC rap by employees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

Signature 

Many bottles of alcohol were harmed in the making of this story.

2 of 2