1 of 5
Acupuncture Silliness
Posted: 09 July 2008 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I was rather amused by this:

A coworker was two days overdue to give birth to her first child. Anxious to speed things up, she got acupuncture to induce labor. 24 hours later, she goes into labor, checks into the hospital, and gives birth to a healthy baby. The acupuncturist declared his treatment successful. She was thrilled with the results.

I can’t help but get a laugh out of the whole situation.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 09 July 2008 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20

The only bigger liars than quacks are their patients.  smile

Needles can be of use in labor, specifically an Epidural! smile  The funny (or sad) thing is that those who fall for nonsense like acupuncture are the types that are the most vocal against things like Epidurals.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 09 July 2008 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Ha ha - true, the people into “alternative medicine” are more likely to shun modern advances in the delivery room.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of everything the hospital has to offer. When ultrasound measurements estimated I was giving birth to a 9 pound child, I followed my doctor’s advice and got a C-Section. There were other medical factors involved in the doctor’s decision, of course, but the minute she said “9 pounds” I picked up the pen and signed the surgical consent form. No further convincing needed!

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 09 July 2008 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Reminds me of a scam during the 1940’s.  An ad was widely placed offering to predict the sex of one’s fetus if you sent them $5.00, and a small sample of your hair.  They promised to refund your money if they were wrong and even included a return envelope with their prediction.  And they were quite “honest” about sending back the money to those who complained.  It turned out that the guy running it, flipped a coin each time.  This meant he got it right half the time, and he made thousands of dollars from satisfied parents. 

Occam

Posted: 09 July 2008 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
Occam - 09 July 2008 06:21 PM

Reminds me of a scam during the 1940’s.  An ad was widely placed offering to predict the sex of one’s fetus if you sent them $5.00, and a small sample of your hair.  They promised to refund your money if they were wrong and even included a return envelope with their prediction.  And they were quite “honest” about sending back the money to those who complained.  It turned out that the guy running it, flipped a coin each time.  This meant he got it right half the time, and he made thousands of dollars from satisfied parents. 

Occam

That is too funny!

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2008 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Yes, it is funny. But then I wonder why televangelists selling holy water are definitely not funny.

[ Edited: 09 July 2008 06:36 PM by George ]

Posted: 09 July 2008 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
George - 09 July 2008 06:31 PM

Yes, it is funny. But then I wonder why televangelists selling holy water are definitely not funny.

Maybe televangelists should refund your money if your prayers don’t come true?

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2008 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29
Jules - 09 July 2008 06:38 PM
George - 09 July 2008 06:31 PM

Maybe televangelists should refund your money if your prayers don’t come true?

Hey, a good one, Jules! cool smile

Posted: 10 July 2008 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2008-03-19

For me the jury is still out on acupuncture.  I work in a staff model HMO and we offer this to our members.  They have to be referred, but even our most skeptical doctor will refer patients with certain aliments (sprained ankle is one).

Signature 

Barry Manilow didn’t write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

Posted: 10 July 2008 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10
OldSquid - 10 July 2008 05:23 PM

For me the jury is still out on acupuncture.  I work in a staff model HMO and we offer this to our members.  They have to be referred, but even our most skeptical doctor will refer patients with certain aliments (sprained ankle is one).

A study was done in which sham acupuncture points were used and it was as effective as the traditional locations both were more effective then not being pierced with needles.

Acupuncture for patients with migraines

It is thought that acupunctures efficacy is the result of endorphins being released into the body.

[ Edited: 10 July 2008 06:54 PM by Some Guy ]
 Signature 

Dan

Posted: 10 July 2008 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
danlhinz - 10 July 2008 06:48 PM

A study was done in which sham acupuncture points were used and it was as effective as the traditional locations both were more effective then not being pierced with needles.

Oh, I’d heard about this study. Thanks for the link, this is good stuff.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2008 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

It is thought that acupunctures efficacy is the result of endorphins being released into the body.

That makes a lot of sense, coupled of course with the placebo effect. The endorphin affect explains why it works on some animals as well.

There is no ‘traditional location’ if you travel to different parts of China, you will find that they do not agree at all about on the appropriate points for anything. If they do agree, it is probably purely coincidence. Acupuncture is far more standardized here than in China (which doesn’t make it more scientific).

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 11 July 2008 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-19
asanta - 10 July 2008 10:36 PM

That makes a lot of sense, coupled of course with the placebo effect. The endorphin affect explains why it works on some animals as well.

There is no ‘traditional location’ if you travel to different parts of China, you will find that they do not agree at all about on the appropriate points for anything. If they do agree, it is probably purely coincidence. Acupuncture is far more standardized here than in China (which doesn’t make it more scientific).

However, there’s this article on the management of low back pain.

Click Here

As I was saying I believe that it depends on the diagnosis.

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2008 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

But that lower back study concluded that there is no statistical difference between bogus acupuncture and “real” acupuncture.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 12 July 2008 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-19

Seems like you splitting hairs…

another study.

Click Here

Signature 

Posted: 14 July 2008 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2008-01-20

....... the truth will manifest and prevail itself in the end.

Anyway, what purpose will it ultimately serve to one’s health to have an ever increasing buildup of the medications with the so-called powerful healing effects on one end but unfortunately permanent and almost unavoidable, undesirable and highly irreversible bodily damaging side effects on the other ?

1 of 5