2 of 5
Acupuncture Silliness
Posted: 14 July 2008 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
NC - 14 July 2008 12:01 AM

....... the truth will manifest and prevail itself in the end.

Anyway, what purpose will it ultimately serve to one’s health to have an ever increasing buildup of the medications with the so-called powerful healing effects on one end but unfortunately permanent and almost unavoidable, undesirable and highly irreversible bodily damaging side effects on the other ?

What build-up of medication, the reason you have to continue to take the medication on a regular basis is because your body excretes the medication—on a regular basis. For a lot of medication, this requires drawing blood samples to determine the most effective dosage.

Many easily curable illness can cause AVOIDABLE, UNDESIRABLE and HIGHLY IRREVERSIBLE bodily damage. What’s your point?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 July 2008 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2007-05-20

Seems like you splitting hairs…

I don’t mean to split hairs, but acupuncture makes specific claims about meridians and chi.  Since these meridians are energy channels, and the energy (chi) is invisible, the treatment is unfalsifiable (imaginary).  The only way to test acupuncture is to test the claims, and when those claims are right we say “endorphins” or “placebo” and when those claims are wrong we say “bullshit”.  But what we should really be saying is that acupuncture’s premise (meridians, chi, yin and yang, dampness) is based on antiquated unscientific crap, and that should be the end of the story.  But instead, we point to poor studies of back pain relief as proof that it works.

How about what happens when fake retractable needles are used as they should be in a double-blind study?  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

What about the claims that acupuncture helps in vitro fertilisation?  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

I think it’s important to remember that acupuncturists have failed beyond anecdotal evidence to prove their system of medicine as they describe it, or to validate their methods by explaining it in biological terms.  Until they do that, poorly done back pain studies only prove that poking needles randomly on a human will make them think they are in less pain.  I would go so far as to say that that particular backpain study DISPROVED acupuncture.  That is one hell of a hair to split.

Posted: 17 July 2008 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2008-01-20

My point of view is that the doctors and medical personnel who are in-charge of the patients’ health are imbued with a vital role attached to their vocations and professions as well as vested responsibilities and obligations to take the necessary precautions and cares especially when it comes to dispensing medications with potentially disastrous undesirable side effects to ensure the latters’ medical well-being. Most importantly, the truth about the exact physical and medical conditions of the patients should be honestly disclosed to them whenever the relevant issues are being questioned to these medical personnel who are in turn get paid by these patients so as to serve their interests appropriately.

In my case, I suffered from the Tardive Dyskinesia-induced abnormally rapid non-stop eyelid twitching that resulted from the dopamine-disturbing side effects of Risperdal drugs that were dispensed to me by the relevant psychiatrist to deal with my depression sickness. The problem was such that, before I got such an abnormally rapid eyelid-twitching sickness the depression sickness itself would merely caused me to lose interest in mixing with other people and to a certain extent made me feel reluctant to go to work sometimes.

Nevertheless, by the time such dopamine-disturbing side effects of Risperdal began to cause me abnormally rapid eyelid twitching, it caused me enormous embarrassments in front of so many other people and subsequently denied me of even the very basic abilities to read, watch tv, drive and carry out other daily and basic routines and then it cost me my job making me out-of-work for about six months. To me, the side effects of Risperdal is more distressing, if not, mentally-anguising than the depression sickness that Risperdal purported to cure in the first place.

Can you guys just imagine what an irony could it be when the drugs that are supposed to cure depression would cause such nearly irreversible sicknesses as Tardive Dyskinesia etc due to their unavoidable side effects that are in reality much more ‘depressing’ to the patients than the depression sickness itself.

Next, when such unavoidable side effects become more and more serious and obvious and actually make the persons suffering from it getting more and more depressed, what should they do ? Continuing taking such problematic medications for depressions to alleviate their mental sicknesses and so as to make them ‘feel better’ for the time being at the expense of getting more and more serious side effects of such other bodily damaging sicknesses from such problematic medications later on ? Then what has exactly happened to these patients ? Would it be warranted to conclude that they have been plunged into such a vicious circle of ‘drug addiction’ that would ultimately get thier lives ruined in the end if they were to be instructed by their doctors to continue doing so ?

In my case, I have been unfortunate enough to come from a less-developed country to run into such a group of irresponsible medical personnel and experts who have either neglected their medical duty of care to me in dispensing such problematic medications in the first place, kept me totally in the dark about the actual sickness I have been suffering from and my medical situations and ripped me off outright by over-charging me exorbitant prices for the medications that would be otherwise far cheaper somewhere else like U.S and other modern European countries ( 5000 dollars for each older version of Botox injection that I have paid to an expensive private medical centre in my home country in contrast to the far cheaper 500 dollars in the U.S and other modern European countries).

Nevertheless, I have been lucky to be well-to-do enough to access all the necessary, appropriate and relevant channels of remedies (both formal and alternative therapies including acupuncture that ultimately get my eyelid twitching sickness cured once and for all) to deal with my Tardive Dyskinesia-induced abnormally rapid eyelid twitching and as a matter of fact, it actually has cost me a fortune to do that. Unfortunately, for the less well-to-do ones in my home country who are also plagued by such bodily damaging and debilitating irreversible sicknesses due to the side effects of such dopamine-disturbing medications and are still suffering ignorantly from them (due to the negligences and deliberate concealments of their actual medical conditions by the doctors-in-charge), these muscle-crippling side effects have also made them lost their jobs whilst for the ones whose lives are closely dependent on them such as their families, their lives are eventually plunged into severe hardships.

Lastly, althought the medical personnel in such modern and developed nations as U.S and most of the European countries may, due to the strict professional protocol, exercise a much higher level of medical ethics in dispensing the related medications with such dopamine-disturbing / other disastrous side effects and paying more medical attention in dealing with patients with such neuromuscular / other serious disorders (in contrast to the haphazard and arbitrary ways in which such patients are getting treated in my home country which is less-developed), I still feel that the patients themselves should at the same time take the necessary precautions too by being more medical-conscious about the medications they are taking in view of the potential inherent disastrous side effects that they may to a certain extent and under certain unexpected circumstances get from such medications. After all, it is eventually their own bodies and health matters that are being at stake, and hence need to be taken care of.

[ Edited: 19 July 2008 07:37 AM by NC ]

Posted: 10 October 2008 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-20

Actually by the time I got this abnormally Tardive Dyskinesia / medication-induced rapid eyelid-twitching / eye-blinking of countless times in a split second (which is one of its symptoms), the feeling was sort of like I was plunged into a situation between blindness and non-blindness in the sense that I could just vaguely ‘visualize’ the surroundings around me while my eyes were blinking, but getting unable to do anything else, even simple reading, watching tv in a ‘satisfactory’ way, and of course, I totally needed to refrain myself from driving (otherwise I would certainly bump the others or get bumped).

And given the fact that my eyes were just ‘blinking rapidly’ and I did not actually get totally ‘blind’ because of any actual damages to the eyes, I always simply found myself caught in a dilemna in between the options of reconciling myself with such an ‘eye disability’ (such as what the others around me had always advised me to do) and doing something medically effective to deal with it to bring my life back to the former usual days before I got this ‘eye sickness.

To be really frank with you, i just couldn’t help myself most of the times but to have suicidal tendencies each time when I locked myself up in my own room (with the lights all off) and kept on thinking about my hopelessly handicapped situation that denied me from doing actually anything, even all the very basic daily routines. And I also tended to avoid seeing anyone else (so as to avoid all sorts of embarrassments and feelings of inferiority complex on my part associated with my ‘visually incapacitating’ abnormalities in front of other people). So, can you just imagine the pains I had gone through during such an abnormally ‘eye-blinking period ? ‘

Let me just tell you something, each time me and the others having the similar symptoms get exposed to ‘strong lightings’ of any kind, we would just tend to shed tears uncontrollably apart from just blinking our eyes rapidly whilst at the same time, will get our eyes overstrained - that’s simply one of the obvious symptoms of photophobia associated with rapid eyelid- twitching / eye-blinking. And the same thing will happen when we overstrain our rapidly blinking eyes reading something else such as newspaper articles.

So, may I ask you a question, can you find any pleasures seeing a movie, working with a pc or reading a novel with a pair of tearing and rapidly blinking eyes which would uncontrollably and involuntarily get more and more overstrained (and hence just makes you shed even more tears and blink your eyes more and more rapidly) as you keep on watching the movies / doing the reading ?

By making the quotations above, I just want to tell you that these are also the similar complaints that tend to be repeated over and over again by the ones both in my real life and those seeking helps from me through emails for their chronic eyelid-twitching / eye-blinking problems (especially the medication-induced ones).

So, when the medications with harmful side effects are getting unscrupulously manipulated and exploited by certain individuals like the consciencelessly avaricious drug manufacturers, expensive private medical center owners, unethical medical personnel etc for their profit-making financial and commercial pursuits, what would be the actual underlying curative values of these medications then under such a circumstance ?

Or put it bluntly, is it justified and warranted to just get such medications labelled as ‘mere poisons’ under such a scenario ?

Posted: 10 October 2008 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

NC, please seek a competent psychiatrist or psychologist for help immediately. You need far more help than anyone on this board could give you. I wish you luck, however, you will remain on my ignore list.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 October 2008 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-20

‘By making the quotations above, I just want to tell you that these are also the similar complaints that tend to be repeated over and over again by the ones both in my real life and those seeking helps from me through emails for their chronic eyelid-twitching / eye-blinking problems (especially the medication-induced ones).’

Well, as a matter of fact, I make such replies to these people seeking helps from me through emails on and on almost every week ever since the beginning of this year.

‘NC, please seek a competent psychiatrist or psychologist for help immediately. You need far more help than anyone on this board could give you. I wish you luck, however, you will remain on my ignore list.’

So, by making such a derisively sarcastic remark, are you actually referring to these group of persons mentioned above (rather than me alone) too ?

By the way, please don’t get offended by the way I interpret your ‘kind’ intention. Thank you.

Posted: 11 October 2008 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Quote NC:

So, by making such a derisively sarcastic remark, are you actually referring to these group of persons mentioned above (rather than me alone) too ?

Since you’re on her ignore list, NC, she won’t see your question so hse won’t be able to answer you.  I, howeve, believe she was trying to give a compassionate medical recommendation rather than being derisively sarcastic.

Occam

Posted: 11 October 2008 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 11 October 2008 12:51 PM

Quote NC:

Since you’re on her ignore list, NC, she won’t see your question so hse won’t be able to answer you.  I, howeve, believe she was trying to give a compassionate medical recommendation rather than being derisively sarcastic.

Occam

NC,no I was not trying to be sarcastic. It was a plea to ask you to get the help you obviously need.

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2008 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-20

‘Since you’re on her ignore list, NC, she won’t see your question so hse won’t be able to answer you.  I, howeve, believe she was trying to give a compassionate medical recommendation rather than being derisively sarcastic. ‘

‘NC,no I was not trying to be sarcastic. It was a plea to ask you to get the help you obviously need.’

Well, my opinion is that since you guys are so skillful or rather well-versed in ‘reading the mind’ of the others, why not consider an alternative and much more rewarding career especially for such field as psychology etc rather than just become mere website moderators / administrators getting just mere pittance each month.

‘So, when the medications with harmful side effects are getting unscrupulously manipulated and exploited by certain individuals like the consciencelessly avaricious drug manufacturers, expensive private medical center owners, unethical medical personnel etc for their profit-making financial and commercial pursuits, what would be the actual underlying curative values of these medications then under such a circumstance ?’

Please try to understand that by making such a post in this website, I’m just trying to highlight and expose to the other people some harsh and yet largely ignorant facts of life that are plaguing and ruining the lives of many innocent people, especially the ones living in hardship and poverty (and that actually include the ones seeking helps from me in my real life and through the emails).

‘NC,no I was not trying to be sarcastic. It was a plea to ask you to get the help you obviously need.’

Hey, if you are trying to cover up the truth or rather indirectly deny such a widely-occurred prevailing trend, incident and scenario of inequities involving the medical profession by dismissing it as sheer nonsense and making implications that I’m mentally-ill and seriously requiring psychiatric treatment, then you are just wasting your time.

The truths always remain the truths and you definitely can’t distort them or bluff anyone, not to mention to consciencelessly get them dismissed as non-existent.

Next, I firmly believe that such medical inequities and malpractices definitely and absolutely need to be redressed and remedied accordingly for the sake of the healthcare and medical well-being of the mankind worldwide and there’s simply no reason for anyone to deny such a principle.

[ Edited: 11 October 2008 10:05 PM by NC ]

Posted: 11 October 2008 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-20

What a coincidence, I have just made another reply to another person seeking help from me for her more-than-2-months severe non-stop eyelid-twitching / eye-blinking problem a few minutes ago immediately after I have made that post above.

So, can such a 100 % genuinely bare truth about the widespread medical malpractices still be concealed and dismissed as ‘mere exaggeration’ or rather ‘sheer lies’ ?

[ Edited: 11 October 2008 09:59 PM by NC ]

Posted: 16 October 2008 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-20

I have just received another positive feedback from the same person again associated with the suggested alternative instrument-aided self-administered acupuncture technique (which doesn’t involve any needle-piercing and is naturally free-of-charge). For your further information, she also has developed such a chronic eyelid-twitching / eye-blinking sickness as one of the symptoms of Tardive Dyskinesia from the unwanted side effects of medications like the numerous others of whom that I have come across in my real live and the ones seeking helps from me through emails.

So, can such prevailingly blatant scenarios of medical negligences, malpractices and inequities still be covered up, concealed and dismissed as ‘non-existent’ by any unscrupulous means ?

Posted: 27 October 2008 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-04-04

I did my periodic check of ScienceDaily.com and was surprised to come across an article called “Acupuncture Used For Animal Ailments.” I read through the article expecting some sort of mention to the absurdity of acupuncture and found none!

Here’s the article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081026100516.htm

Acupuncture Used For Animal Ailments
ScienceDaily (Oct. 27, 2008) — Needles are often equated with pain and discomfort; however, for a horse named Gypsy the tiny sharp objects brought about much needed relief as Dr. Mark Crisman, a professor in the Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences in the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech, administered acupuncture therapy.

Gypsy had an infection in her ankle and Crisman was using acupuncture—along with traditional therapy—to help strengthen her bones and immune system, and provide pain relief.

Acupuncture, which has its roots in eastern countries, is a technique of inserting and manipulating very fine needles into specific points on the body with the intention of relieving pain and other therapeutic purposes. This ancient practice has long been used among human patients and, over the past few decades, has gained popularity and recognition in veterinary medicine.

“Acupuncture has proven to be a safe and relatively painless treatment for a variety of illnesses in animals,” said Crisman who has been practicing the therapy for over a decade on equine patients and now teaches others who desire certification.

The Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine’s Veterinary Teaching Hospital offers this therapy to both large and small animals. Conditions that respond well to acupuncture range from skin disorders to musculoskeletal issues to neurological problems.

“While pain and osteoarthritis are common conditions we treat with acupuncture in small animals,” said Dr. Bess Pierce, an associate professor in the Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, who is leading the hospital’s community practice, “we certainly provide therapy for a multitude of problems.”

Veterinarians who wish to practice acupuncture most undergo an additional training process. With the recent completion of her certification, Dr. Beverley Purswell, a professor in the Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, brings the total of certified veterinary acupuncturists in the college to four.

“Acupuncture certainly does not replace traditional veterinary medicine,” said Purswell who plans to use the therapy in her work in theriogenology, the specialized field of veterinary medicine that focuses on reproduction. “It can, however, compliment the therapies we already use.”

In addition to Crisman, Pierce, and Purswell, Dr. Scott Pleasant, associate professor in the Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, is also a certified acupuncturist.

Virginia Tech (2008, October 27). Acupuncture Used For Animal Ailments. ScienceDaily.

Posted: 27 October 2008 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  4050
Joined  2006-11-28

Unfortunately, those vets are performing acupuncture based only on their personal belief in it, not on the basis of reliable scientific evidence. There is virtually no research of decent quality in veterinary medicine regarding acupuncture, so the few reviews that have been done found it impossible to defintively say whether or not it has any efficacy. However, after decades of study in humans and animals, after very clear evidence in humans that it is of benefit only for mild, self-limiting, subjectively measured conditions (pain and nausea), with no underlying physiological rationale demonstrated, and with no consistent definition of even what consititutes acupuncture or how it should eb applied, it is fairly clear that the bulk of the evidence indicates it is a faith-based, not a scientific practice. I have posted some relevant references below, and I will PM anyone interested an essay I recently rote covering the topic. It’s a shame academic vets give a patina of legitimacy to a therapy with no solid science to recommend it, but it’s not surprising I suppose.

Barker Bausell, R., Snake Oil Science: The Truth About Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Oxford University Press, 2007

Ernst, E., White, A.R., Prospective studies of the safety of acupuncture: a systematic review. Am J Med Apr 2001;110(6):481-5

Habacher, G., Pittler, M.H., Ernst, E., Effectiveness of acupuncture in veterinary medicine: systematic review. J Vet Int Med May-Jun 2006;20(3):480-8.

Mann, Felix. Reinventing Acupuncture, Butterworth Heinemann, 1992

Ramey, D., Rollin, B., Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine Considered, Iowa State Press, 2004

Ramey, D. Lee, M.L., Messer, N.T., A review of Western language equine acupuncture literature. J Eq Vet Sci 2001; 21(2)56-60

Sing, S., Ernst, E., Trick or Treatment: The Undeniable Facts About Alternative Medicine, W.W. Norton & Company, 2008

The Cochrane Collaboration, The Cochrane Reviews, a searchable database of systematic reviews of the human medical literature at http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 27 October 2008 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-04-04

I’m thinking about sending ScienceDaily a very concerned e-mail showing my disappointment.

And thanks for the essay in the PM. However it cut off after a point. So I do not believe I received its entirety. But from what I did receive it was very well covered!

Posted: 28 October 2008 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-01-20

‘Well, my opinion is that since you guys are so skillful or rather well-versed in ‘reading the mind’ of the others, why not consider an alternative and much more rewarding career especially for such field as psychology etc rather than just become mere website moderators / administrators getting just mere pittance each month.’

Kindly accept my apology if the prior remark made above has appeared to be upsetting to you all and I feel very sorry about that.

2 of 5