Astrologer couldn’t predict quake
Posted: 29 July 2008 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-53202

Kind of funny

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 29 July 2008 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

That reminds me of when John Edward, winner of the Biggest Douche in the Universe award, was on Larry King (second biggest douche in the universe) on September 10th, 2001 and Edward and his remarkable “powers” failed to mention a single thing about the terrorist attacks that would take place only a few hours later.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 29 July 2008 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

And yet, sadly, King still provides a forum for people like that. The blind publicising the blind….

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 29 July 2008 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

I just love the lady reading the horoscopes “Blah blah blah, happy love life in the stars, blah blah blah… There’s an earthquake? Whoa! Get the Bleep out of here!”

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 29 July 2008 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  669
Joined  2008-07-03

None of them ever know when the cops are going to raid them either.

Posted: 19 September 2008 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2008-09-19

HA !

Astrologers ? ... All the real astrologers who could actually predict something useful died out centuries ago. Those were really intelligent astrologers.

There is no such thing as an astrologer nowadays, more like wannabees.

Posted: 20 September 2008 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
Icedbullet77 - 19 September 2008 10:34 PM

Astrologers ? ... All the real astrologers who could actually predict something useful died out centuries ago. Those were really intelligent astrologers.

Who were these astrologers who could “actually predict something”? What did they predict, when did they predict it and where did they predict it?

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 September 2008 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-19

There was Nostradamus who was a “Astrological consultant” kind of like that chick in the video, but probably 100x better.

As for other actual astrological consultants that did personal readings I am not so sure, but there are several who mapped out our solar system and predicted precisely where and when a certain planet is going to be.

Posted: 20 September 2008 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
Icedbullet77 - 20 September 2008 08:36 AM

There was Nostradamus who was a “Astrological consultant” kind of like that chick in the video, but probably 100x better.

You didn’t answer the rest of my question. What did he predict that came true?

The problem with poetic fakes like Nostradamus is that one can take their quatrains to mean virtually anything one likes. All of his purported “predictions” were only ascertained after the fact by people involved in pattern-matching. To be an accurate prediction, it has to have been clear before the fact what the prediction was supposed to be, and it can’t simply be a matter of chance. (E.g., anyone can make a thousand predictions and expect a few to come true simply by chance).

For more on this I’d suggest reading HERE and the “further reading” at the bottom of the page.

Icedbullet77 - 20 September 2008 08:36 AM

As for other actual astrological consultants that did personal readings I am not so sure, but there are several who mapped out our solar system and predicted precisely where and when a certain planet is going to be.

People have known how to predict planetary motion since at least Ptolemy‘s time in the 2nd century AD, and probably earlier. All that’s involved in these predictions is doing careful study over time of the positions of the planets against the background stars, and some relatively involved mathematical calculations. So yes, if all that’s involved in these “predictions” is predicting where the planets will be, then people have been able to make good predictions. But none of it has to do with the astrological claims that planets have anything to do with human fate.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 September 2008 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I predict every night, that the sun will rise in the morning, I am a genius, because the sun HAS risen, just as I have predicted. Every day I wake up and say…..there will be NO earthquake today in my city, and you know…....I have a 99.9% correct prediction rate.
(this makes as much sense as your claims about Nostradamus)

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 20 September 2008 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-19
asanta - 20 September 2008 09:16 AM

I predict every night, that the sun will rise in the morning, I am a genius, because the sun HAS risen, just as I have predicted. Every day I wake up and say…..there will be NO earthquake today in my city, and you know…....I have a 99.9% correct prediction rate.
(this makes as much sense as your claims about Nostradamus)

The sun is visible, but knowing where something is that can not be seen to the naked eye is a different story.
If you were to say that “The sun will rise from west to east” and it actually happened the next morning then that would make it a different story, then I could call you a genius or maybe even a “prophet”, or if you said something like “Jupiter will be visible tomorrow morning approximately the same size as the moon to the naked eye”.

Posted: 20 September 2008 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Icedbullet77 - 20 September 2008 09:59 AM

“The sun will rise from west to east”

And if you add a time and date, it will be more succinct and clear than ANYTHING Nostradamus EVER ‘predicated’.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 20 September 2008 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Oh boy. Here we go again.

The point of the first, original post was sarcasm. A simple joke. Of course she could not predict the earthquake. That is what was funny about it. Astrologers cannot predict anything.

Astronomers, on the other hand, can predict paths of planets, through calculations and observation. Perhaps you are getting astrologers confused with astronomers.

As for Nostradumbass, that’s a topic for a different thread, which I believe has been addressed here in the past.

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2008 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 20 September 2008 11:10 AM

As for Nostradumbass, that’s a topic for a different thread, which I believe has been addressed here in the past.

NOSTRADUMBASS LOVE IT!!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2008 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
asanta - 20 September 2008 07:41 PM
Jules - 20 September 2008 11:10 AM

NOSTRADUMBASS LOVE IT!!!!!

wink

Signature 

Posted: 30 September 2008 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2008-09-26

Who were these astrologers who could “actually predict something”? What did they predict, when did they predict it and where did they predict it?
Signature

Doug

when you are so beautifully and simply patient, to those who just do not yet understand, it fills my heart with joy.  it is part of my vision for the ideal world. I thank you for that here.  happy sigh…

Signature 

be like a woman is.

1 of 2