1 of 3
What is your philosophy?
Posted: 24 January 2006 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

My basic philosophy is that you should treat others as good or better than they treat you.  More indepth though my philosophy is:
[list:1fa3ecc9a5]respect knowledge
Golden Rule
try your best
God does not exist!
Have some sense of honor
Abortion is wrong
Gayism is wrong
Theism is wrong
Soccer is a good sport
American Football is a bad sport[/list:u:1fa3ecc9a5]

Feel free to tell me your philosophy.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 24 January 2006 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

What is your philosophy?

My basic philosophy is that you should treat others as good or better than they treat you.  More indepth though my philosophy is:
[list]respect knowledge
Golden Rule
try your best
God does not exist!
Have some sense of honor
Abortion is wrong
Gayism is wrong
Theism is wrong
Soccer is a good sport
American Football is a bad sport[/list:u]

Feel free to tell me your philosophy.

Signature 

Posted: 26 January 2006 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2006-01-21

Can you define “Gayism”?

Signature 

Thomas Donnelly
Center for Inquiry?
716-636-7571 ext 420
tdonnelly (at) centerforinquiry.net
http://www.centerforinquiry.net

Posted: 26 January 2006 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

Homosexuality.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2006 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  984
Joined  2005-01-14

I like the concept of treating others as well or better than they treat you, but if you’re going to list all of the things you like or dislike (or think are “wrong”), you’re to be here a long time.

Plus, I’ve noticed that my attitudes sometimes change, in the face of new information.

Posted: 06 February 2006 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-02-06

existentialist and holist

I guess if I try to put it into words I am an existential holist.  As a scientist I have a hard time with reductionism.  That is why I migrated to complexity science.  However, there is still plenty of reductionist thought there too.

Signature 

An idea is not responsible for who happens to be carrying it at any given moment.  It stands or falls on its own merits.

Posted: 09 February 2006 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

You’ve got me interested don.  Tell me more about yourself.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2006 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-06

You can learn a lot about me from visiting my home page.  I was born, raised and edjucated in Chicago.  I did my post-doctoral work in Israel.  I was born into a nominal Catholic family and became much more serious about practicing the religion than they were.  As I was graduating college at 21 with a commission in the USMC I married a fundamentalist Baptist and was “born again”.  Being an avid reader and also reading all the things assigned to my first wife as she pursued her degree in sociology at SUNY @ Buffalo while I was on my first faculty job, I realized that I was an exitentialist.  Being a leader in the Civil Rights and anti-war movements helped me go beyond my experience as a Baptist and being in Israel for a few years showed me that Christianity was also too narrow.  I then read a lot of Buddist writing as I tried to understand the Vietnamese better.  In science I started out in the usual mechanist/reductionist mold but as my own research grew and flourished I realized that this too was a form of narrow fundamentalism.  I learned about Network Thermodynamics from Leonardo Peusner who was a grad student at the Biophysical lab at Harvard Med School when I was on the faculty there and I was at the University of Chicago and other places with the late Robert Rosen who wrote and taught on the complexity theory I now am involved in.  That’s enough if not too much.

Signature 

An idea is not responsible for who happens to be carrying it at any given moment.  It stands or falls on its own merits.

Posted: 15 February 2006 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2006-02-09

Don:

Very nice resume.  I am interested in your backing away from reductionist science.  Care to elucidate?

Wes

Signature 

Fairness is Justice

Posted: 15 February 2006 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2006-02-09

To:  theatheistheretic

Abortion is wrong?  Homosexuality is wrong?  Really?

On the second issue please answer the following questions:  When did you decide to be straight?  Do you decide every morning when you wake up?  Did you decide when you were in high school?  What was your first clue?  Was it the girl in the row in front of you?  Was it the Playboy photos?  Try to pinpoint when you made your heterosexual decision and under what circumstances. I mean please, really try.  Then tell me.

Regards, Wes

Signature 

Fairness is Justice

Posted: 15 February 2006 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-06

reductionist science

I am not “backing away” from reductionist science.  I am complimenting it with complexity theory which goes beyond the self-imposed limits so we can progress.  I have written a lot on this.  My web page has much on it.

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2006 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

“Complexity theory” so-called is not at all in conflict with reductionism. It simply makes long-term predictions physically impossible in certain complex systems.

And being anti-homosexual is simple bigotry.

I wonder, if you are an atheist and do not follow the cramped tenets of many established religions, where that and your anti-abortion stance came from.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 February 2006 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

Re: What is your philosophy?

Theatheistheritic.

Recent findings have, I think, made it clear that homosexuality is caused by a genetic defect. Therefore gays cannot control their homosexual behavior. I am assuming that you are not aware of these findings.

Bob

Posted: 16 February 2006 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

[quote author=“wesmjohnson”]To:  theatheistheretic

Abortion is wrong?  Homosexuality is wrong?  Really?

On the second issue please answer the following questions:  When did you decide to be straight?  Do you decide every morning when you wake up?  Did you decide when you were in high school?  What was your first clue?  Was it the girl in the row in front of you?  Was it the Playboy photos?  Try to pinpoint when you made your heterosexual decision and under what circumstances. I mean please, really try.  Then tell me.

Regards, Wes

abortion is murder in disguise
“Did you decide when you were in high school?” Couldn’t of been after.  If gayism is aloud to spread to much it could possibly cause the extinction of are species.

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2006 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

abortion is murder in disguise
“Did you decide when you were in high school?” Couldn’t of been after. If gayism is aloud to spread to much it could possibly cause the extinction of are species.

Wow. Where do we start with such stuff? Is it murder to prick your finger and kill a few blood cells?

Never heard the word “gayism” before this. Homosexuality isn’t a disease and doesn’t “spread”. It’s most likely at least partly genetically determined. Similar arguments were used to claim that different races shouldn’t be allowed to multiply, or that miscegenation (racial mixing) was wrong. These are all simple bigotry, and stem from ignorance. Do you actually know any homosexual people?

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 February 2006 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

Is it murder to prick your finger and kill a few blood cells?

No because then it would be suicide if the “few” your talking is like an alcoholic saying they only had a few drinks.

Do you actually know any homosexual people?

Yes.  I am not saying gays are bad.  I am saying ideas are like viruses some good, some bad.  Think about it, it takes a man and woman to make a child, not a man and man, and not a woman and a woman.  Humans are not immortal. ?Comprende?

Signature 

1 of 3