PragmaticallySkeptical (in KCMO)
Posted: 07 February 2006 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-02-07

Hello, CFI World!  I live in Kansas City, Missouri.  When I look out my window at night, I’m looking right into Kansas.  The place that redefined science just so’s they could finagle a way to get god into the science classroom.  It’s unfortunate.

I currently define myself as a pragmatic, skeptical, iconoglastic, absurdist geek.

There are a lot of sketicism forums out there, but what I like about this site is there’s a much greater emphasis on doing things a achieving real change.

Signature 

Furry cows moo and decompress.

Posted: 07 February 2006 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-07

PragmaticallySkeptical (in KCMO)

Hello, CFI World!  I live in Kansas City, Missouri.  When I look out my window at night, I’m looking right into Kansas.  The place that redefined science just so’s they could finagle a way to get god into the science classroom.  It’s unfortunate.

I currently define myself as a pragmatic, skeptical, iconoglastic, absurdist geek.

There are a lot of sketicism forums out there, but what I like about this site is there’s a much greater emphasis on doing things a achieving real change.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2006 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2006-01-21

Welcome to the CFI discussion forums. They are beginning to take off. Are you involved in any of the skeptical and humanist activities in KCMO?

Signature 

"Few have the courage of their convictions. Fewer still have the courage for an attack on their convictions." - Nietzsche

Posted: 09 February 2006 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-07

Well, a ilttle bit.  There’s a local organization known as the Community of Reason:
http://www.communityofreason.net/

I’ve been to a few meetings.  I’m going to the meeting this Sunday for their Darwin Day Lecture.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2006 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

Ever go to Joplin, MO?  I live about an hour away from there.  Your state probally lost alot of money when oklahoma got the powerball.  Welcome to cfi! Finally somebody close.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 10 February 2006 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-07

There’s a podcast all about skepticism that I love called Skepticality.  In fact I think that’s where I heard of the Point of Inquiry podcast from.  Skepticality has a frappr map group called “Skepticality Listeners”.  According to it, there’s a listener in Wichita Kansas.  Of course, google maps tells me that Wichita and Joplin are 189 miles apart, so I don’t know if I’d call that “close”, but… it’s better than nothing. smile

I think maybe PoI should get a frappr map if they haven’t already. I mean, on the one hand, I’ll grant that the whole idea is perhaps a tad juvenile, but on the other hand, it can be comforting to know “I am not alone… although I am the only one within a couple hundred miles…”  Also I think most adults are a lot more juvenile than they’re willing to admit to themselves. smile

a link to the Skepticality frappr map:

Signature 

Posted: 08 April 2006 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-04-08

Hi Prag,

I’m new to the forum as well and live in KC, MO.  I too literally look out my window into Kansas.  Maybe we’re neighbors!

I am interested in a local group as well.  I’ll check out the link you posted- perhaps we’ll meet sometime.

Take care.

PS I just frappred myself.

Posted: 13 April 2006 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

I’ve acttually met face to face with another atheist, but they were gay.  I didn’t like their type of hate of christianity, so I didn’t talk that much to them.

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2006 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-07
[quote author=“theatheistheretic”]I’ve acttually met face to face with another atheist, but they were gay.  I didn’t like their type of hate of christianity, so I didn’t talk that much to them.

That can happen sometimes, but not all the time.  In my area, it seems many of the atheist/free thinkers are interested in the Da Vinci Code.  I’m thinking, “why does this matter, exactly?”

[quote author=“Jayhox”]
Hi Prag,

I’m new to the forum as well and live in KC, MO. I too literally look out my window into Kansas. Maybe we’re neighbors!

I am interested in a local group as well. I’ll check out the link you posted- perhaps we’ll meet sometime.

Cool. smile

Here are two local meetup groups I recently found out about:

My name’s Isaac, btw.

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2006 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

Isaac Newton? lol

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2006 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-07
[quote author=“theatheistheretic”]Isaac Newton? lol

Not so much. Although,as you might expect, I get that sometimes.

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2006 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-04-08

Hi Isaac,

I’ll check out those sites.  I see you over on the skepticality board as well.

Jayhox (Grant)

Posted: 18 April 2006 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

And I thought I was first to make that joke.

Signature 

Posted: 25 May 2006 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-05-18

Hey PW, I’m from Independence, MO. Moved away in 1975 and have barely gone back. When I looked out my window, I just saw a lot more of Missouri.

Hello from NYC ››