1 of 2
Introduce Yourself
Posted: 07 August 2008 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-09-19

After I found myself with no religion and surrounded by believers, I set out to find others who shared my point of view to talk with. I found a few (2 others to be exact) who met with me around a bon fire in my backyard over 11 years ago. Little did we know all the work we were creating for ourselves and all the friends we’d make along the way. Since then, CFI Michigan (formerly Freethought Association of Michigan) meetings have happened twice a month and our numbers have grown into the hundreds.

Welcome! I hope you find yourself at home here.

[ Edited: 07 August 2008 10:10 AM by Jefferson Seaver ]
 Signature 

Jefferson Seaver
Executive Director
Center for Inquiry | Michigan

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/michigan
jseaver@centerforinquiry.net

Posted: 07 August 2008 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-08-07

[size=3 Kudos to the West Michigan skeptics of CFI. It’s not really that hard to be publicly without religion here in southern California; but you folks are doing right in the heartland the evangelical publishing industry. Should any of you need answers to questions regarding biblical origins or Bible prophecies—for example, when evangelicals challenge you to explain why some prophecy was “fulfilled” (at least they think so)—don’t hesitate to contact me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Sincerely,

Tim Callahan

Posted: 07 August 2008 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-04-20

I attended Western Michigan University in the 70’s to study Comparative Religion with E. Thomas Lawson.  I enjoyed Michigan,  I found that Dutch Reformed girls away from home for the first time were the wildest, prettiest girls you could hope for, and I had a grape farm near Paw Paw for a while.  In 1979 we had another in a great series of winter blizzards that found me at my farm alone for two weeks, reading Dostoyevski to cheer myself up and hoping to see a snowmobile accidentally wander in to the neck high wire of the grape arbors just to see what would happen.  It suddenly occurred to me that I was from New Orleans and could go home and be warm again.  So I did.

Posted: 08 August 2008 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-07-28

Hiya,
  Been a memebr for a bit but now the wife and I are re-locating from N. Michigan (near Traverse) to G.R.
Looking forward to making some meetings and having discussions with folks who view the world with an open mind.
  Darren

Posted: 08 August 2008 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  731
Joined  2007-06-20

Hello everyone,
All the recent mention of Western Michigan on this board has made me a bit nostalgic.  I lived in Benton Harbor and Muskegon until the age of 10.  Thanks for sparking a few warm memories of the region.  Congratulations on your success.  I hope it will be only the beginning.

PC

Signature 

PC

Posted: 09 August 2008 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-01-04

Hello,
I am Brandt Smith. I am in Grand Rapids, MI and have had the pleasure of learning about CFI. I am quite pleased to see something of this nature here in Christian Reformed America.

Brandt

Posted: 29 October 2009 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-10-20

Hello my name is Danielle Rittenhouse and I am in Grand Rapids, MI. Happy to find out I am not the only non-believer in the city/state.

Signature 

In truth, there was only one Christian, and he died on the cross. Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted: 18 April 2010 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-04-18

Greetings!  My name is Chris, and I’m new to CFI-Michigan.  I’m I consider myself an avid enthusiast of science and critical thinking.  I have been a skeptic for about 2-3 years.  I live in Ann Arbor.

Anyone that lives in or near Ann Arbor, please check out a new group I’m starting “Ann Arbor Science & Skeptics” (Facebook) http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121195447895104 and (MeetUp) http://www.meetup.com/Ann-Arbor-Science-Skeptics

[ Edited: 24 April 2010 02:47 AM by ChrisLindsay9 ]
 Signature 

“Live Every Day As If You’re Dying Of A Contagious Disease That Turns People You Bite Into Zombies” - (The Onion)

Posted: 26 April 2010 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Hey.  I’m Chad.  I currently live in Midland.

So am I the only one from the eastern side of the state or something?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 26 September 2010 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2010-09-24

Hello all. I’m from the Ann Arbor area. Very glad to be here.

-RC

Posted: 24 July 2011 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2011-07-07

Hola folks. Oakland County area. Glad to be among your ranks.

-Q.F

Signature 

Ignorance and Reason are two sides of the same defunct coin

Posted: 15 September 2011 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-15

Hello! My name is Bec. I currently live in Kalamazoo, just moved here from Grand Rapids, sadly. I love that city. I don’t know anyone here, especially people with my beliefs, or non-beliefs.
I grew up with a mother who was on-again-off-again religious, currently a strong Christian. I chose to go to a Baptist church during my adolescent years into highschool. Eventually I stopped going, but continued to have faith. About 2 years ago I came to the conclusion that I no longer believe in a higher power, and cannot foresee myself ever having faith in anything but me. I just recently saw the billboard that will be posted in Grand Rapids, which lead me to this website. Now I’m interested in finding others out there, maybe a community here in Kalamazoo! Hope to meet some of you soon!

Posted: 01 November 2011 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-01

Hi, my name is Sabrina. I am from Sterling Heights. Just looking to enjoy some rational thinkers. It will be good to talk to some of you smile

As for me, I have never believed in a higher power. I am fixed on science and statistics. I will be a satisfied person if I can go through life with tolerance, understanding, and helping others. People are usually personally offended if I explain my “cold” beliefs so here I am.

[ Edited: 01 November 2011 07:09 PM by blinka ]

Posted: 01 November 2011 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, Blinka.  I have much the same ideas as yours, and I’m surprised at how often members on this forum have mentioned varients of your problem with people not accepting your beliefs.  I don’t know whether So. Calif. is different, whether I happened to have very accepting friends, or whether I’m just too unaware to realize that people are upset, but I’ve been an atheist since I was a kid over 70 years ago, and cannot recall anyone being annoyed when I mentioned my beliefs.  A few tried to argue with me, but I found that to be a lot of fun (they may not have).  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 November 2011 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-01
Occam. - 01 November 2011 11:55 PM

Welcome, Blinka.  I have much the same ideas as yours, and I’m surprised at how often members on this forum have mentioned varients of your problem with people not accepting your beliefs.  I don’t know whether So. Calif. is different, whether I happened to have very accepting friends, or whether I’m just too unaware to realize that people are upset, but I’ve been an atheist since I was a kid over 70 years ago, and cannot recall anyone being annoyed when I mentioned my beliefs.  A few tried to argue with me, but I found that to be a lot of fun (they may not have).  smile

Occam

That is great! Debating is probably too much fun with me. It’s lighting a fuse to the bomb generally. While others opinions are interesting, the general idea my thoughts may be offensive is offensive. I take it in lightly where other’s not only defend their beliefs but tend to look at me like i am the evil one to dare think the way i do. my debating is just a good way to expel my thoughts. who knows, maybe one day somebody will turn to agree!

Posted: 11 December 2011 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-11

Hello, my name is Dustin. I too am looking for others that wish to challenge the world with logic and reason until truth is welcomed. My username is savior and S.A.V.I.O.R. stands for Scientist Against Violence, Ignorance, and Organized Religion. I have recently seen the need for a more evangelical atheist movement. I have hopes that there are more that share my goals and values.

1 of 2