2 of 2
Introduce Yourself
Posted: 29 April 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-04-29

Hello, people.  I’ve been an atheist my whole life.  I think that moral progress though out the history of our civilization should be credited to human beings, not god.  I’m looking forward to participating in a community that I can be proud of.  The benefits of such a community I’m hoping will be great and many.  Feels like I’ve been living in a cave for years. smile

Posted: 16 September 2012 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-09-16

Hello, I am Ben, a Newly deconverted Christian
In fact I just “came out” to my wife and our parents this weekend
Been a tough couple days so far…

Posted: 21 September 2012 03:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2008-07-28

Greetings, Ben. Hang in there.

Posted: 21 September 2012 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3351
Joined  2011-11-04
Dead Monky - 26 April 2010 02:21 PM

Hey.  I’m Chad.  I currently live in Midland.

So am I the only one from the eastern side of the state or something?

In Texas, we have a Midland, that is in the western part of the state, and an Eastland, that is also in the western part of the state, but not as far west as Midland.  Go figure.  Maybe there’s a Westland in New Mexico.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 21 September 2012 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Bpoort - 16 September 2012 03:58 PM

Hello, I am Ben, a Newly deconverted Christian
In fact I just “came out” to my wife and our parents this weekend
Been a tough couple days so far…

May humanism help you.  And welcome.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 21 September 2012 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
RonPatrick - 29 April 2012 08:02 PM

Hello, people.  I’ve been an atheist my whole life.  I think that moral progress though out the history of our civilization should be credited to human beings, not god.  I’m looking forward to participating in a community that I can be proud of.  The benefits of such a community I’m hoping will be great and many.  Feels like I’ve been living in a cave for years. smile

More and more atheists will likely be coming out of the cave, so to speak. Welcome.

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-09-16
mburns - 21 September 2012 03:04 AM

Greetings, Ben. Hang in there.

Thanks.
Lots of my family refuses to believe I no longer believe. Strange that I can tell them, and the simply say “I don’t think your really dont believe anymore, your just experiencing doubt

Posted: 18 February 2014 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-02-14

My brother introduced me to this site when you guys were at Grand Rapids Community College. Unfortunately by the time I had found out about you guys while I attended there it was said that you guys were cancelled or something happened that the group was disbanded from the school. Whether or not that happened I have no idea, because by the time I was done there I never pursued it… silly me, right?
    I grew up in a small town in New York, and moved out here in Grand Rapids MI when I was fifteen. Needless to say being from a small town with not a soul but the white community around literally for miles this was quite a culture shock. I find it odd at 34 years of age now that not much changed out there. The family I grew up in were and still are fully devout Christians, and by the stars above once they found out I was no longer a part of the flock they don’t talk to me much anymore, but I’m okay with that.
    I served six years in the Army, and four out of six after Sept. 11th mostly in Afghanistan…. unfortunately I can’t say what I was doing though. What I can say is the destruction caused by Al Queda, the war waged in the name of Allah ever since the Crusades, and the many Christian United States military soldiers I served with that would’ve loved nothing better than the Al Queda’s destruction.
    The more I worked in interrogations and in other matters, the more I could see that religion was just the catalyst needed for the spread of hatred, in certain parts slavery, and in a sense the brainwashing and destruction of the youth out there. My point is, that in the name of religion people have conquered, destroyed, raped, pillaged, enslaved, and murdered for most of humanity’s existence since the first documented civilizations began.
    I guess you could say that I had a major overhaul in my pursuit of education about world history, religions, and philosophy throughout the ages when I first began college, and after I left the Army. My only regret is that due to my environment I grew up in and the religious, yet intolerant dogmatic following, I too was once the ignorant, hateful, and separative Christian.
    There is no power without knowledge, and vise versa. Through out history and forever more, you can only spout hatred so many ways. I can remember watching “Interview with the Vampire” from Ann Rice… and there was a quote that fascinated me. I changed it up a little bit replacing the conversation about vampires, and using religion as the background.
    “The world changes, religion does not. There in lies the irony that finally kills it.”

Posted: 19 February 2014 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Gydyn, Thank you for your military service.  In regards to your having previously been an “ignorant, hateful, and separative Christian”, I do not fault you, and find it completely understandable.  I think that it is more remarkable that many of us come to recognize the Great Lie that religions are.  The ubiquitous societal, cultural and other environmental influences for establishing religious beliefs (combined with what I think is a biological predisposition for religious thinking) are not overcome by most people.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2014 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-02-14

Hey thanks man….

2 of 2