What are your ideas for CFI Michigan events, topics, and speakers?
Posted: 07 August 2008 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-09-19

We’re always looking for ideas for new events, topics, and speakers. So please give it some thought and let us know what you’d enjoy.

What would you like?

Signature 

Jefferson Seaver
Executive Director
Center for Inquiry | Michigan

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/michigan
jseaver@centerforinquiry.net

Posted: 27 August 2008 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-08-27

Jeff,

I am excited to see that CFI is having Victor Stenger speak on Sept 10 in GR.

How often does your group bring in guest speakers? Do you ever do round table discussions?

I think the topic on how to discuss free thought with teens and children would be quite interesting and insightful to many out there.

Children can be so inundated with religion and they are just sponges at this early age. I was born and raised a Lutheran child and it took quite some time to free myself of that tag.  I am currently researching and learning how to present religion and free thought to my children in a way that will allow them to choose for themselves without someone forcing it on them.

[ Edited: 27 August 2008 10:34 AM by Madtownie ]

Posted: 04 September 2008 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2007-09-19

Hey Madtownie,

We bring in speakers twice each month. Please check out the calendar and sign up for e-mails on our site http://www.centerforinquiry.net/michigan

A year or two ago we did a panel discussion on raising children in freethinking families and we’ll likely do something similar again.

How old are your kids?

Signature 

Jefferson Seaver
Executive Director

Posted: 05 September 2008 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-08-27

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any good sites or books for introducing freethinking to children that you can recommend?

Posted: 05 September 2008 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2007-09-19

Unfortunately I haven’t see much out there for kids. Skeptic Magazine has a section called Junior Skeptics. And Dan Barker from FFRF has a couple books for kids.

Signature 

Jefferson Seaver
Executive Director

Posted: 14 September 2008 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2008-07-28

Grand Rapids now has its share of professional schools.  (Many are not seminaries.)  Representatives could explain their value to Grand Rapids, economic and cultural contributions.  Professor Harold Larson of the School of Engineering might visit town again after retiring.

Michael J. Burns

Posted: 11 December 2008 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-28

An economist could speak on new versus old market theory. What about government investments to cover for the effects of positive feedback, minimum investment requirements, and multiple equilibriums?

Michael J. Burns

Posted: 26 March 2009 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-28

Let’s debate the sufficiency of academic freedom. I see a huge shortfall in the liberty of college students to bypass stale doctrine in order to get accredited. The Thomas Jefferson College (at GVSU) should be re-established. It was one of a handful of colleges with no specific loyalty test in the way to a degree.

This liberty is needed for science as well as the creative arts. My own independent work shows up the results of an entrenched priesthood in academic physics. Sooner or later, physics students will attain an alternative path to work in the field. I fear that it may be centuries rather than just years before this happens.

It was a decade ago that I thought of a “Spinoza Free University” - where workers and students could simply declare their affiliation and competencies. This was in honor of the brilliant philosopher who declined a professorship due in part to the doctrinal tests in place, and could only publish anonymously due to the physical enforcement of orthodoxy.

Michael J. Burns

[ Edited: 26 March 2009 08:30 AM by mburns ]

Posted: 26 March 2009 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2008-03-19

New York University historian Tony Judt or David Eddy MD. PhD

Signature 

Barry Manilow didn’t write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

Posted: 25 April 2010 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-04-25

There is heightened awareness of the need to control greenhouse gases, live sustainably, reduce our carbon footprint, reuse, reduce, recycle, etc.  One thing that very few people address is the fact that fewer people on our planet would address all of these concerns. I would like to see a detailed discussion of this topic.