5 of 5
Atheist/Humanist Spokesmen With a Positive Image {200 word post maximum}
Posted: 01 September 2008 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2007-05-20

I do like your latter sig from Einstein. That is SO true.
Dwight

Signature 

Dwight Jones
http://www.humanism.ws
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

“Our lives teach us who we are.”
-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 01 September 2008 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Dwight Jones - 01 September 2008 08:06 PM

I do like your latter sig from Einstein. That is SO true.
Dwight

Why, thank you! smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 September 2008 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

In 5 pages, I’m kind of surprised that Julia Sweeney hasn’t been mentioned yet:)

She doesn’t have the intellectual/scientific background that Dawkins or Neil DeGrasse Tyson has, but as a ‘representative’ and someone who can really ‘connect’ with people (and, importantly, not make anyone feel ‘insulted’ or condescended to), I think she’d be a great choice :)

Am I silly to just assume that everyone here has listened to (or seen live) Sweeney’s “Letting Go of God”?

For anyone who hasn’t heard it, do so immediately.  It’s great stuff ~ honest, articulate and and very funny:)

Here you go:

Letting Go of God

Wow, I think this is the entire monologue :) (in 13 parts)

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 14 September 2008 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-08-27

I have to throw Robert M. Price in as a genuinely inspiring humanist.  Unlike the foaming-at-the-mouth loons like Hitchens, Harris, and Dawkins, Price has a deep appreciation for the wisdom and reflection on our place in the universe that is to be found in the world’s religions.  At the same time, he keeps it in perspective and understands religions as human-developed systems of mythology that, properly understood, can help people to develop healthy and fulfilling perspectives on life.

Posted: 14 September 2008 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
Hoobajoob - 14 September 2008 09:22 PM

I have to throw Robert M. Price in as a genuinely inspiring humanist.  Unlike the foaming-at-the-mouth loons like Hitchens, Harris, and Dawkins, Price has a deep appreciation for the wisdom and reflection on our place in the universe that is to be found in the world’s religions.  At the same time, he keeps it in perspective and understands religions as human-developed systems of mythology that, properly understood, can help people to develop healthy and fulfilling perspectives on life.

I think he’d’ be a great choice as well! :)

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 16 September 2008 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2008-07-01

I’m really going to miss George Carlin.
Crass, vile, polarizing and absolutely hilarious.

Despite the vulgarity, I suspect his “Religion is Bullshit” sketch still had an effect on the odd believer or two.
And his passion was infectious.

Signature 

If I have seen less far, it is because of these giants standing on my shoulders

5 of 5