1 of 3
Alleged “Bigfoot” Body Found - Press Conference Planned Aug. 15, 2008
Posted: 13 August 2008 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20

From the site:

http://www.searchingforbigfoot.com/

BIGFOOT BODY FOUND - EVIDENCE AND DNA DETAILS TO BE PRESENTED AT A PRESS CONFERENCE ON FRIDAY, AUGUST 15th FROM 12 N00N TO 1:00PM AT THE CABANA HOTEL-PALO ALTO IN PALO ALTO, CALIFORNIA

A body that may very well be the body of the creature commonly known as “Bigfoot” has been found in the woods in northern Georgia.

DNA evidence and photo evidence of the creature will be
presented in a press conference on

Friday, August 15th from 12 Noon to 1:00pm at the Cabana Hotel-Palo Alto at 4290 El Camino Real in Palo Alto, California, 94306. The press conference will not be open to the public. It will only be open to credentialed members of the press.

Any guesses as to what it will turn out to be?

The fact that they apparently won’t be showing the body, but only photos, should raise some serious red flags.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 13 August 2008 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2008-06-20

Whitton and Dyer (the pair that ‘found’ the creature) are co-owners of bigfoottracker.com and Bigfoot Global LLC., a company that offers Bigfoot expeditions.

Kinda says it all right there doesn’t it?

Signature 

I’m not sayin’....
I’m just sayin’....

Posted: 13 August 2008 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

Even the picture of it looks super fake.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 13 August 2008 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

I know it won’t be Bigfoot, but rather, Big Money. 

But how are they going to parlay this press conference into money?  Book deal?  Movie deal?  Travel around the country showing the “body” at fairs ala P.T. Barnum?  And how far will they be able to get with such deals without having the body examined by experts instead of reporters? 

I’m reminded of Pons and Fleischmann.  They held a press conference instead of having their claims peer-reviewed.  I’m sure they got quite a bit of funding after that press conference.  They couldn’t get funding by going the peer-reviewed route.  But what about these two “Bigfoot Hunters”?  They’ll only be able to string people along for so long before any potential money stops.  But how will they get that money to flow to begin with?

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 13 August 2008 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2008-06-20
Rocinante - 13 August 2008 07:30 PM

But how are they going to parlay this press conference into money?

They’ll cash in by selling lots of “Bigfoot expeditions”.

Signature 

I’m not sayin’....
I’m just sayin’....

Posted: 13 August 2008 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Rocinante - 13 August 2008 07:02 PM

From the site:

http://www.searchingforbigfoot.com/

BIGFOOT BODY FOUND - EVIDENCE AND DNA DETAILS TO BE PRESENTED AT A PRESS CONFERENCE ON FRIDAY, AUGUST 15th FROM 12 N00N TO 1:00PM AT THE CABANA HOTEL-PALO ALTO IN PALO ALTO, CALIFORNIA

A body that may very well be the body of the creature commonly known as “Bigfoot” has been found in the woods in northern Georgia.

DNA evidence and photo evidence of the creature will be
presented in a press conference on

Friday, August 15th from 12 Noon to 1:00pm at the Cabana Hotel-Palo Alto at 4290 El Camino Real in Palo Alto, California, 94306. The press conference will not be open to the public. It will only be open to credentialed members of the press.

Any guesses as to what it will turn out to be?

The fact that they apparently won’t be showing the body, but only photos, should raise some serious red flags.

Wow! they transported it all the way from Georgia to Palo Alto, now if they moved it a half mile or so down the road to the Stanford Biology department, home of some of the greatest scientist in the world. They can do Testing and figure out what it REALLY is. But they won’ LOL t

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 August 2008 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-06-18

Did anyone manage to save the picture(s) before the site went down? Apparently they’ve caved to the traffic a national news story generates. If it is a publicity scam, mission accomplished.

Signature 

Can’t we all just get along?

Posted: 14 August 2008 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

I thought that might happen, so yeah, I saved the picture:

AllegedBigfootinFreezer.jpg

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 14 August 2008 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-06-18

The buzz created around Bigfoot’s recent discovery reached unprecedented heights, especially due to the promises about the upcoming “DNA evidence and photo evidence” releases, expected later today. The announcement was made by the Web site SearchingForBigfoot.com, which actually claims to have a real specimen.

According to the researchers involved, Mathew Whitton, Tom Biscardi and Rick Dyer, the creature is 7 feet and 7 inches tall, weights close to 500 pounds and presents features from both human and ape. Also, other details are offered on the Web site: the Bigfoot has reddish hair, black-gray eyes and its footprint measures almost 27 inches long and almost 6 inches across.

The evidence should be released later today during a news conference in California. 

Many believe this to be just another publicity stunt, as there have been several such Bigfoot hoaxes linked to Mr. Tom Biscardi in the past. As the LiveScience.com Web site points out: “Biscardi promoted a pay-per-view cable TV show in which he offered viewers the chance to see a Bigfoot captured on live television for only $59.95. That never happened.”

Another similar story is presented by LiveScience, saying that back in 1995 Mr. Biscardi announced the capture of a 400 pounds Bigfoot, but the proof never surfaced.

The problem with this news is that its source is far from being considered reliable. Apparently, Biscardi finished the work on a new documentary called Bigfoot Lives and all this hype around the new announced discovery might only be a simple and efficient way of setting up the debut of his new production.

In a matter of hours all these scenarios will be confirmed or infirmed, so we’ll just have to wait and see.

Source

So this guy has been associated with a couple of previous hoaxes. The picture does look a little hokey, too. I don’t think I’ll hold my breath.

Signature 

Can’t we all just get along?

Posted: 14 August 2008 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

This would be much more believable if:

- The carcass were found by a hunter or hiker, instead of men who have an agenda.

- They turned the body over to a reputable biology lab (they can do this while still signing a contract to keep their “publicity rights”)

- They submitted their findings for peer review and to a scientific journal instead of through a press conference. (Although peer review by fellow “bigfoot researchers” wouldn’t be very objective. It would have to be peer review by wildlife biologists without an agenda and without a book deal.)

Too bad their site crashed, I can’t get more information on their claims right now. I’d have so much fun trying to rip the claims apart! I’d like more information on the lab that did their DNA testing. Have they worked with this lab in the past? Were they careful to avoid contamination of the samples? Did the testing show ape, human or “unknown” DNA?

There was a bigfoot show on TV a while back, a hair sample showed “genetic human qualities” - whatever that means - and they got all excited. Later it was discovered that the lab tech’s hair had fallen into the sample. She wasn’t wearing a hair net. She was bigfoot.

This whole situation sounds suspiciously like the Stan Romanek “alien video” press conference, which was hysterically debunked using a puppet and a digital camcorder - funny stuff. Click on this post from back in June. Funny how the press conference happened just as he was accepting bids for his movie deal.

I suspect that, like the Stan Romanek press conference, the bigfoot researchers will announce that only reporters can see the information - it cannot all be released to the public yet. They will announce that the body is “undergoing rigourous scientific testing” and therefore no further information will be available for another year or two until the analysis is complete. Just like Stan Romanek’s video is “currently being analyzed by top scientists and will not be available to anyone for another year or two.” After the big press release, with no information to back up the validity of their claims, they will stall for years while the body undergoes “analysis” and rake in book and movie deals. Just my opinion.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 14 August 2008 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
Jules - 14 August 2008 07:47 AM

Too bad their site crashed, I can’t get more information on their claims right now.

Use this Google cached version.  It won’t contain any pictures, but you can at least still read their claims. 

Jules - 14 August 2008 07:47 AM

I suspect that, like the Stan Romanek press conference, the bigfoot researchers will announce that only reporters can see the information - it cannot all be released to the public yet.

You are correct.  From the above site:

“The press conference will not be open to the public. It will only be open to credentialed members of the press.”

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 14 August 2008 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Wow - they must have the same PR firm as Stan Romanek!

Funny, I bet many members of the press (who are reluctantly sent to cover this by their publications) will be encouraged to purchase “additional research material” available at the press conference. Just like Romanek, where they were given only blips of information, but encouraged to purchase his books for further information.

Interesting note from the site:

“DNA tests are currently being done and the current DNA and photo evidence will be presented at the press conference on Friday, August 15th.”

If they are currently being done, how can they be presented? I suspect the “current DNA evidence” is speculative and will be spun to say something like “The results were inconclusive so far, which proves it’s not any animal we know of. Further testing is being done.” Which will lead into the stalling for years while books and movies are sold.

Note that this is all followed on the site by a shopping cart link called “SHOPPING FOR BIGFOOT” that shouts: “BIGFOOT LIVES the movie is on sale now! IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND! GET A FREE “BIGFOOT LIVES” COLLECTOR PIN WITH EVERY PURCHASE.”

Man. I have got to get me one of these fake press conferences. The book and video sales alone - just from the period between the announcement and the actual press conference after which the interest dies off - could be enough for me to retire on. Who cares if my reputation is ruined? I’ll change my name and move afterwards.

I’m going to buy a bear suit, a gorilla suit, a glue gun, and some hog guts. Be back later.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 14 August 2008 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I would imagine that if something as ‘spectacular’ as a ‘genuine bigfoot’ were ever found, there would be no way to keep everyone involved so quiet that there is absolutely no leakage to the press. Even the government can’t keep secrets that well! It’s suspicious that they are not allowing any scientist into the conference——i.e. someone who can objectively evaluate the evidence.
I smell a fake, and it stinks worse than a skunk—-which is at least real.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 August 2008 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

“The press conference will not be open to the public. It will only be open to credentialed members of the press.”

Would someone from Skeptical Inquirer or Skeptic Magazine be “credentialed members of the press”?  Would they even be allowed in the press conference?  LOL  Or would it be like all the mediums of yesteryear refusing to do their stuff in front of Houdini or today’s “psychics” refusing to perform in front of Randi?  Does Joe Nickell have a disguise he can wear to get into this event? smile

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 14 August 2008 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
Shawn - 13 August 2008 07:34 PM
Rocinante - 13 August 2008 07:30 PM

But how are they going to parlay this press conference into money?

They’ll cash in by selling lots of “Bigfoot expeditions”.

Looks like you hit the nail on the head!

“But Dyer and Whitton’s own website - bigfoottracker.com - appeared well prepared for the onslaught, advertising opportunities for the public to take guided tours in the footsteps of Rickmat [the name for this thing] for $499 a time…”

Later on in the same article:

“The Bigfoot Field Researchers Organisation, which believes in Bigfoot but not in Rickmat, said the deceased apeman displayed a remarkable likeness to the “Deluxe Sasquatch Costume” on sale on a Hallowe’en costume website for $449.”

So with just one person signing up for a $499 walk in the woods big surprise, they could conceivably turn a $50 profit! LOL

Here is what Google returned for Deluxe Sasquatch Costume:

DeluxeSasquatchCostume.jpg

Here is a side by side view of each:

DeluxeBigfootCostumeSideBySidewithR.jpg

[ Edited: 14 August 2008 01:41 PM by Rocinante ]
 Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 14 August 2008 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Perfect fit! Just rub some hog guts from the local butcher shop into the costume for that authentic, greasy look.

I wish no reporters would show up at that press conference, leaving them standing alone in a room full of merchandise waiting to be sold.

Signature 

1 of 3