tips on guitar set-up?
Posted: 16 August 2008 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

anybody have any tips or ideas on setting up ‘62 vintage reissue strat? I like a low action and do not plan on using the tremelo bar.
I like light strings and a mellow tone.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 16 August 2008 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2008-06-24
VYAZMA - 16 August 2008 05:40 PM

anybody have any tips or ideas on setting up ‘62 vintage reissue strat? I like a low action and do not plan on using the tremelo bar.
I like light strings and a mellow tone.

Yes.  Unless you really know what you’re doing, take it to a reputable music shop, tell them what you want, and have it done by a professional.

Otherwise, adjust the truss rod (righty-tighty, lefty loosey) for lowest possible action, checking particularly the first and 13 frets.  Then do the same with the bridge (should be two large screws?).

You’ll have to adjust intonation after that, which is more difficult, and don’t forget to adjust the height of the pickups, because if you’re lowering the action of the strings, you’d likely have to lower the pickups to compensate.

Posted: 17 August 2008 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

thanks f-middle.I took it to a professional the other day.But I am interested in doing this kind of work for myself.The guitar guy always asks me how I wnt it set-up.I’m looking to find the techniques and tricks so that I can begin doing it myself.
I have gained some knowledge already,its just putting it in to practice that is the scary part.
If youre intersested,the truss rod should not be used to adjust action.its function is to adjust neck relief.so if you have an instrument whose neck relief is good,then action should be adjusted at the bridge or nut.(mainly bridge).
adjusting the truss rod will affect action,but it is only for neck relief.
give me your thoughts,because i know there are tricks and shortcuts out there,and i like to get consensus.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 17 August 2008 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2008-06-20

An ugly site, but it does have some good info: Guitar Setup

I’d say you are correct about the truss rod adjustment. Action is best adjusted at the bridge and the nut.

I also don’t use the tremolo bar on my strat and have “blocked” the bridge. Essentially, I added all 5 springs in the back and used a block of wood to force the bridge to sit flush with the body and not move. The great thing is this guitar rarely goes out of tune, even after some serious bending!

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Signature 

I’m not sayin’....
I’m just sayin’....

Posted: 17 August 2008 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

yeah shawn,thats what i was wondering about.i,ve heard of the block method.i told my guy to put in the 2 extra springs,he said he will make an adjustment to the tremelo springs to get the bridge to lay flat.that is my goal really,to have the guitar be solid for resonance and string stability.thanks for the insight.

Signature 

‹‹ Guess what’s coming?      John Cleese ››