3 of 3
Art and Science
Posted: 04 March 2006 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15356
Joined  2006-02-14

Re: Art and Science

[quote author=“wesmjohnson”]I am also saddened by the seemingly unstoppable direction in which our country is heading.  I have been giving more and more thought of emigrating to Costa Rica and teaching at university there.  :(  :(  :(

Wes

Well, I’d say on the one hand that it’s better smart people stay here. We do need all we can get in the voting booth at least.  8)

On the other hand I can completely understand that if you are living in an intolerant or half-witted community it may be very difficult or just unlivable. In NYC I feel quite at home; there are many parts of the country I couldn’t live in, and would prefer to move to Europe.

Sad but true!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 06 March 2006 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

The Truth

Wes wrote
“Bob Doug has a handle on truth.” 
Wes,
Yes he does.
Bob

Posted: 24 March 2006 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2005-11-01

[quote author=“wesmjohnson”]All:

What is the difference between art and science?

I submit, for y’all’s consideration that art deals with emotions and science deals with reason.Responses?Regards, Wes

Hmmmm,

I would say that Art pays a lot for a few and a little for a lot of the people.  Where Science pays much more for a lot of the people and some really make a killing, money wise. grin  $$ 

Later,
Elder Norm

Signature 

ARO "www.aro-religion.org"  The belief in Reality and the organized seach for its measure.

Posted: 11 April 2006 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2006-02-08

Re: Science chat

[quote author=“alanchurch”]Bob, you wrote
We have come to accept the fact that our room will never have many members. The reason being, I think, is because most people feel that science isn’t very exciting and not much fun.
Bob

also there are probably not many capable of such discussion. I’ve not looked much but the 2 or 3 chat rooms I’ve been were of very little interest for me. the level was low. this forum is an exception.  for learning I prefer reading usually. But perhaps I should expand. Where can I find some interesting chat rooms? I’d like to take a look at the one you mentioned.

alanchurch,
#sciencevisons on Starchat. Sorry to be so late in reponding to your question.
Bob

Posted: 06 June 2006 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2006-02-08

[quote author=“wesmjohnson”]All

What is the difference between art and science?

I submit, for y’all’s consideration that art deals with emotions and science deals with reason.

Responses?

Regards, Wes

I happened to think of Wes’ topic on Art and Science today and thought about at least one science that is also considered to be an art. Medicine is a science but is also called “the healing art”.
That led me to think about technology. I asked myself if a machine could be considered a work of art? Then I remembered seeing some machines and a machine part that were displayed at The Museum of Modern Art in New York City that were considered to be art. There were clocks, a motorcycle and a bicycle wheel. I thought it strange that they would be considered to be art but I was hardly an expert as to what was art and what was not.
Anyway, I thought I’d share this with you. Hope you found it interesting.
Bob

Posted: 06 June 2006 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15356
Joined  2006-02-14

[quote author=“Bob”]I happened to think of Wes’ topic on Art and Science today and thought about at least one science that is also considered to be an art. Medicine is a science but is also called “the healing art”.
That led me to think about technology. I asked myself if a machine could be considered a work of art? Then I remembered seeing some machines and a machine part that were displayed at The Museum of Modern Art in New York City that were considered to be art. There were clocks, a motorcycle and a bicycle wheel. I thought it strange that they would be considered to be art but I was hardly an expert as to what was art and what was not.
Anyway, I thought I’d share this with you. Hope you found it interesting.
Bob

Hi Bob, yes it is an interesting topic. I think the works they have at MoMA are great examples of industrial design; so, making everyday industrially produced objects beautiful. I remember also that the Guggenheim had a huge show on motorcycles several years ago. And of course we all have to grant that part of Apple’s recent success in the marketplace is Steve Jobs’s incredible design sense.

Then there’s just the issue of whether the machines themselves are beautiful—even without additional design. I mean, are steam presses beautiful? Are computer motherboards beautiful? Are oil refineries beautiful? I suppose that’s in the eye of the beholder.

Also, I imagine that “science” is one thing and “industry” or “technology” is another. Industrial or technical objects can be made artistically beautiful, like a motorcycle, car, computer or iPod. But science, if it is beautiful, is beautiful in a different way—conceptually beautiful, perhaps.

Anyhow, yes, food for thought ...

smile

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

3 of 3

Human Evolution ››