2 of 3
CERN and the Super Colider
Posted: 10 September 2008 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Jackson - 10 September 2008 03:15 PM
asanta - 27 August 2008 04:34 PM

Darn, if the end of the world is coming that soon, I’m definitely voting absentee!  tongue wink

There is a special website set up to check if the Large Hadron Collider has destroyed the earth

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/

Somehow, I think if the world ends, the website won’t be any good (not that I believe the world is ending!!!).

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 September 2008 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-09-12

CERN’s LHC doesn’t nearly have enough power to generate even a small black hole. The beam of protons used in the LHC can not and I repeat can not generate a the critical mass for a mini black hole to form and if for some reason if it did the tiny black hole will fade away in a millisecond because the gravitational force of the Earth will out way the force that the mini black hole will create. It will in essence be ripped apart.

<a >Online Marketing Solution</a>

Jim Curtz

Posted: 12 September 2008 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Jim Curtz - 12 September 2008 03:36 AM

CERN’s LHC doesn’t nearly have enough power to generate even a small black hole. The beam of protons used in the LHC can not and I repeat can not generate a the critical mass for a mini black hole to form and if for some reason if it did the tiny black hole will fade away in a millisecond because the gravitational force of the Earth will out way the force that the mini black hole will create. It will in essence be ripped apart.

<a >Online Marketing Solution</a>

Jim Curtz

I don’t think anyone here actually believes the CERN LHC could cause the ‘end of the earth’, we are mostly poking fun at the people who do believe the end of the earth is coming at every convenient turn…. smile . Thanks for the concrete analysis.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 March 2010 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
truthaddict - 27 August 2008 03:23 PM

It looks like the big test is quickly approaching (late September they will do the final test and late October is when it should be operational).

I am not sure why but I am kind of hoping nothing in string theory gets observed or proven and that it is finally dismissed and newer and fresh ideas looked into. Maybe I have been biased by Lee Smolin and his book, The Trouble With Physics, but that’s my honest feeling.

Any thoughts?

[Large Hadron Collider Suffers Delays—NY TImes 3/30/2010] —are we still waiting?

Posted: 31 March 2010 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4521
Joined  2007-08-31

Success, in the end:

Beams collided at 7 TeV in the LHC at 13:06 CEST, marking the start of the LHC research programme. Particle physicists around the world are looking forward to a potentially rich harvest of new physics as the LHC begins its first long run at an energy three and a half times higher than previously achieved at a particle accelerator.

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 31 March 2010 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20
Jim Curtz - 12 September 2008 03:36 AM

... can not generate a the critical mass for a mini black hole to form and if for some reason if it did the tiny black hole will fade away in a millisecond because the gravitational force of the Earth will out way the force…

I wonder what are the numbers behind words like “critical mass”
“mini black hole” and “gravitational force of the Earth will out
way”.  I wonder how those grand and miniscule scales compare to
our everyday world.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 07 April 2010 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
jump_in_the_pit - 31 March 2010 11:35 AM

I wonder how those grand and miniscule scales compare to
our everyday world.

YouTube to the rescue:

Power of Ten
courtesy of wirenohi
(4:00)
simple power of ten zoom from macro to micro
no words, easy music, dramatic.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Cosmic Super Zoom
courtesy of TitanSpace
(1:18)
This ones a quicky mega zoom for the busy life style.
~~~~~~~~~
The Hubble Deep Field: The Most Important Image Ever Taken
courtesy of tdarnell
(6:39)
Includes a first class narration, includes some humor, this one is for students
A wonderful examination of an empty speck of heaven.

Don’t know if this was what you were looking for and may be a little OT,
but I know this is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak grin

[ Edited: 10 April 2010 05:48 PM by citizenschallenge ]
 Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 07 April 2010 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

So far so good.

CERN Creates 10 Million Mini-Big Bangs in One Week

By Robert Evans
April 7, 2010

GENEVA (Reuters) - Physicists at the CERN research center said on Wednesday they had created 10 million mini-Big Bangs in the first week of mega-power operations of their marathon probe into the secrets of the cosmos.
Spokesman James Gillies said the subterranean Large Hadron Collider (LHC), in which tiny particles of matter are smashed together at a fraction of a second under the speed of light, was functioning extremely well. . .

Scientists keeping watch over the LHC’s 27-km oval-shaped ring under the Swiss-French border near Geneva said collisions were now being recorded at 100 per second, twice as many as on the first mega-power day last week.

The complexity of the machine is totally mind boggling, but they got it purring along like a sewing machine.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 09 May 2010 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

I just stumbled on this five star Charlie Rose interview:

Tuesday, March 30, 2010
An extraordinary physics experiment, the Large Hadron Collider.
We talk to Lisa Randall, theoretical physicist at Harvard University and Kyle Cranmer, experimental physicist at New York University

Both of these physicists are well spoken, brimming with info and the dynamic going on between them is fun to watch for its own sake.
These two tag team on rattling off a treasure trove of information for bleacher type (yet scientifically literate) spectators such as myself.

If the LHD interests you at all, you’ll like this interview.

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Awesome.

I got so sick of trying to convince people that the LHC wasn’t going to blow up, implode, incinerate, or teleport the planet.  Christ.  Every time some new doodad comes along people freak out like it’s going to annihilate the universe.  You just gotta’ love that fear of the unknown.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 10 May 2010 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Dead Monky - 10 May 2010 11:08 AM

I got so sick of trying to convince people that the LHC wasn’t going to blow up, implode, incinerate, or teleport the planet.  Christ.

Heck with those goof balls.
What I still can’t wrap my mind around is that the engineers and scientists (and construction guys grin) got the thing working.  Have you seen pictures of it’s detection instruments and the magnets that need to keep these racing particles in an extremely tight (relatively) curve.  There must be a billion discrete functions that have to occur every milliseconds with exquisite coordination.  How do they do it surprised

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2010 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Apparently a hell of a lot more effectively than oil well drillers.

Occam

Posted: 10 May 2010 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Occam - 10 May 2010 06:53 PM

Apparently a hell of a lot more effectively than oil well drillers.

Occam

OUCH !!!!

Guess scientists must take their work more seriously   long face

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2010 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05
Dead Monky - 10 May 2010 11:08 AM

Awesome.

I got so sick of trying to convince people that the LHC wasn’t going to blow up, implode, incinerate, or teleport the planet.  Christ.  Every time some new doodad comes along people freak out like it’s going to annihilate the universe.  You just gotta’ love that fear of the unknown.

The most logical argument that the LHC won’t destroy the universe is it hasn’t happened. If it could destroy the universe some other civilization would have done so already and we would not be around to take our turn.

Wait a minute, maybe that is what caused the Big Bang.  wink Where’s that ducking and running smiley when I need it?

[ Edited: 10 May 2010 07:09 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 10 May 2010 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
DarronS - 10 May 2010 06:59 PM

wink Where’s that ducking and running smiley when I need it?

like i’ve said before we need more smileys cool smile

Signature 

2 of 3