1 of 7
Humanist Homeland?
Posted: 27 February 2006 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2006-02-09

What about all the Humanists having their own country?  Say let’s go get a piece of Texas.  All of us get together and settle in one town, elect ourselves to all the political positions.  We could create a God-free zone! What say y’all?  :D

Wes

Signature 

Fairness is Justice

Posted: 27 February 2006 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

Re: Humanist Homeland?

[quote author=“wesmjohnson”]What about all the Humanists having their own country?  Say let’s go get a piece of Texas.  All of us get together and settle in one town, elect ourselves to all the political positions.  We could create a God-free zone! What say y’all?  D

Wes

Wes,
Good idea. I’m all for it.
Bob

Posted: 19 June 2007 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2007-05-20
wesmjohnson - 27 February 2006 11:11 AM

What about all the Humanists having their own country?  Say let’s go get a piece of Texas.  All of us get together and settle in one town, elect ourselves to all the political positions.  We could create a God-free zone! What say y’all?  :D

Wes

I would rather see Israel relocated to New Mexico. Make the desert bloom, solve the middle east problem.
It’s so much fun being naive…
Dwight

Signature 

Dwight Jones
http://www.humanism.ws
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

“Our lives teach us who we are.”
-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 22 July 2007 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-09-02

Yes, I never understood why Greenland wasn’t given for Zion.  You could set up an eruv there with (shabbat respecting) boundary wires running from one coast to the next!

Us brits are partly responsible - there was a British politician 100 years ago who was partly responsible for the Boer War, stirred up grievances in Ireland and promised a Jewish state in Palestine.  Thats quite a CV.

After WWII though, I believe we tried to avoid it and were overruled - somebody please correct me as I may be wrong.

A humanist state does sound great, though there would be the danger it would just draw up another set of battle lines and beome a gated community full of prejudiced folk looking down upon religious people elsewhere whom they consider touched.  I would hope that wouldn’t happen, but there would be a decent chance it might.

Posted: 22 July 2007 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I would suggest instead, that many humanists move to Wyoming.  It has a very small population so we could take over, not only local governments but also, the state government and the federal senators and representatives.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 22 July 2007 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17
popeth - 22 July 2007 06:04 AM

Yes, I never understood why Greenland wasn’t given for Zion.  You could set up an eruv there with (shabbat respecting) boundary wires running from one coast to the next!

Us brits are partly responsible - there was a British politician 100 years ago who was partly responsible for the Boer War, stirred up grievances in Ireland and promised a Jewish state in Palestine.  Thats quite a CV.

After WWII though, I believe we tried to avoid it and were overruled - somebody please correct me as I may be wrong.

A humanist state does sound great, though there would be the danger it would just draw up another set of battle lines and beome a gated community full of prejudiced folk looking down upon religious people elsewhere whom they consider touched.  I would hope that wouldn’t happen, but there would be a decent chance it might.

It was a british protectorate.  The US government (rightly, in my view) changed that situation).  At the inception of this Jewish state, three neighbouring countries were threatening to nip it in the bud.  They were supplied with large amounts of high tech millitary equipment and they did the sensible machavellian trick that anyone else would do in that situation. they went on a massive land grab and took large tracts of land from the neighbouring countries so that instead of fighting over the larger tract of land that was the state of Israel, they would now turn their attention to the smaller tracts of land that are now the West bank and Gaza strip.  Against a politician of Nassau’s calibre, what the hell else would you expect them to do, one might ask.  The trouble is, that bit of strategy having worked, they now have the enormous political problem of having settled the area and the even greater problem that the siege mentalities of settler’s bring about - i.e. an extremely right wing society that will vote for who ever can come up with the nastiest and most apartheidt-esque policies.  There are some nice and reasonable Israeli’s, but no one is going to vote them into power.

As to a humanist state, I’m all for it.  I have my reasons.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 22 July 2007 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

A Humanist State? You, Narwhol?! I thought humanists annoyed you almost as much as—as—well, as everybody else. wink

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 22 July 2007 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

I may have neglected to mention what I would do to them once I’d got them all in the one place.

No, humanists are okay-ish, and I think the running their own country experience would be instructive (and not just for them - positive benefits might come out of it too).

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 22 July 2007 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Narwhol, I admire Brennen Mckenzie, Doug Smith, and Mriana because they are delightful, gentle humanists.  However, that doesn’t mean that all of us are not blood thirsty and vindictive.  You might be surprised at what I’d do to you once I got you in a humanist enclave.  snake

LOL

Occam

Posted: 22 July 2007 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-07-16

Wes

Great idea.

Signature 

http://www.myspace.com/scienceoverreligions

Posted: 22 July 2007 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
scienceoverreligions - 22 July 2007 08:43 PM

Wes

Great idea.

It actually sounds pretty scary to me.

Posted: 22 July 2007 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-07-16

why?

Signature 

http://www.myspace.com/scienceoverreligions

Posted: 22 July 2007 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Maybe it sounds a little fanatical. I don’t know.

Posted: 23 July 2007 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

I’m assuming the idea was suggested largely in jest. Obviously, the world would be better off with more tolerance rather that each little ethnic or ideological group carving out their own mini-state.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog

Posted: 23 July 2007 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

In jest? This reminds me of “flirting” where in the case of a negative answer we would say “it was just a joke”. If the person, however, agrees with our “joke” it has a potential to evolve into something else. We have all done it. I understand that Wes’s comment was intended as a joke, but I still disagree.

Posted: 23 July 2007 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

Sorry George, I don’t understand. Disagree with what? The concept of a humanist homeland? I don’t know that any of us seriously support such an idea, though of course I can only speak for myself. And I don’t see joking about wanting to secede from the rest of the society, as a way of making humorous one’s frustration at the values and ideas of that society, as particularly sinister or dangerous.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog

1 of 7

What is Humanism ››