4 of 7
Humanist Homeland?
Posted: 10 March 2008 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

One of the differences is that the humanist philosophy is anti-proselytizing.  As such, we purposely don’t try for conversions.  However, when I was the advisor to a Unitarian group of young teens I did mention the ideas behind humanism.  From the responses I got, I’d say that quite a few of them were positive to the concepts. 

I think that rather than us trying to convert people, if we can just promote education and scientific awareness, religions will gradually become less and less important, and humans will develop more humane philosophies.

Occam

Posted: 16 April 2008 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

Would a humanist nation work?

Surely a humanist nation would be quickly subverted by large scale foreign economic interests.  We’d have a continuous string of dictators put in place and removed based on our usefulness to the interests of global economics.  If we’re lucky, we might even have a few leaders assassinated by the CIA or the KGB.  Our nation’s media would then be flooded with information from abroad and, eventually, some sort of revolutionary uprising would occur.  We would then be labeled as religious “oppressors” by the rest of the world and the globe would rally behind the revolutionaries within our country and support them with vast sums of money and militarily assistance.  Our humanist utopia would be overturned without haste.

Maybe it’s better to focus on improving things at home… in this nuclear nation.

Posted: 19 April 2008 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2008-04-18

coexist.jpg

Signature 

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

Montana Infidels

Posted: 19 April 2008 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

If you’ll pardon the facetiousness of my last post, my point is in agreement with reaichangeolympia.  We have no choice but to co-exist.  The world is already one.

Posted: 19 April 2008 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

I like that sign, realchange.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 19 April 2008 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

Nice sign.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 April 2008 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 19 April 2008 07:36 AM

Nice sign.  smile

Yes, nice sign, but all the same, I’d rather be in Hawai’i!! (yea yea, I’ll work on the coexist stuff too)
geo

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 May 2008 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2007-09-28

Firstly, i would appreciate it if we could find somewhere with good skiing facilities. We could make skiing a form of humanist worship, and get religious holidays on the slopes.

national meal. - pasta with meatballs.
National drink - beer.
National anthem?
National past-time - endless discussions about the same thing which go round and round and round and round and round and round…

I would appreciate it if we could find some ‘cause’ which would justify a ‘crusade’. One of the problems with being a humanist, is theres no excuse for mass murder. I find this very frustrating. OH to live in the dark ages, where one could run around, burning witches and heretics, liberating holy lands and getting paid for it. Magic!  I have toyed with some of the contemporary religions, but blowing yourself up in the process, seems to me to take the fun out of it!

Ski.

Signature 

hmmmmm  π

Posted: 05 May 2008 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Pasta with beer? I’ve never tried that combination… confused

Posted: 05 May 2008 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

Ah, George, such a genteel European aristocrat!  wink

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 05 May 2008 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

I think a fine wine needs to go with pasta, not beer.  :(

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 05 May 2008 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Beer and pizza ... if no good Chianti ...

wink

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 May 2008 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Chianti, eh? My favourite red wine, Trius Grand Red, comes from a local winery at Niagara.

[ Edited: 05 May 2008 03:24 PM by George ]

Posted: 05 May 2008 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
SkiCarver - 05 May 2008 04:58 AM

I would appreciate it if we could find some ‘cause’ which would justify a ‘crusade’. One of the problems with being a humanist, is theres no excuse for mass murder. I find this very frustrating. OH to live in the dark ages, where one could run around, burning witches and heretics, liberating holy lands and getting paid for it. Magic!  I have toyed with some of the contemporary religions, but blowing yourself up in the process, seems to me to take the fun out of it!
Ski.

grin  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  tongue laugh That is a great observation!  smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 May 2008 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2007-09-28
asanta - 05 May 2008 03:35 PM
SkiCarver - 05 May 2008 04:58 AM

Ski.

grin  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  tongue laugh That is a great observation!  smile

thankyou thankyou .... I’m here till friday - and try the pasta and beer - the chefs speciality.

Ski.

Signature 

hmmmmm  π

4 of 7

What is Humanism ››