6 of 7
Humanist Homeland?
Posted: 07 May 2009 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

At the same time, red wine has benefits to one’s heart- in moderation of course. Personally, I don’t think you have a case with alcohol.  It’s been done before, didn’t work and if done in moderation, some forms of alcohol are not bad for the body.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 08 May 2009 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2009-05-05
George - 07 May 2009 11:15 AM
Science Union movement - 07 May 2009 11:04 AM
George - 07 May 2009 11:00 AM
Science Union movement - 07 May 2009 10:41 AM

10 gramms of vodka kills 8000 neurons according to the anti-alcohol campaign of the First channel TV in Russia.

Not if you are a heavy smoker. The nicotine wraps around the neurons and protects them from getting destroyed by alcohol. It’s true, I heard it on a Second TV channel while visiting Paraguay last year.

There are researches to make a medicine based on this, as nicotine is known to improve connections between neurons.
. .
. .
. .

And now what do I say…? gulp

Could you clarify what you mean?
. .
. .
. .

Signature 

We are “Science Union” public-political movement from Russian Federation (http://www.nauchnii-soyuz.narod.ru, “narod” is people). We stand for the “United State of Earth” (“USE”) and support “Humanist Manifesto 2000” - to add to it -> http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/5817. In Russian our name sounds as “Nauchnii Soyuz”, (“soyuz” is union). Our symbol is “Sputnik-1” - the mankind’s first satellite in space (see our avatar). You are welcome to join!

Posted: 08 May 2009 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-05
Mriana - 07 May 2009 07:51 PM

At the same time, red wine has benefits to one’s heart- in moderation of course. Personally, I don’t think you have a case with alcohol.  It’s been done before, didn’t work and if done in moderation, some forms of alcohol are not bad for the body.

The benefits of red wine are in antioxidants and other useful substances to which alcohol is unrelated.

To remind:

Antialcohol campaign of the First state TV channel in Russia.

The links lead to videos

http://www.1tv.ru/pr/si=5761&fi=553

100 gramms of vodka kills up to 8 000 brain cells.

http://www.1tv.ru/news/about/136829

In order of appearance:

Brain

Heart

Blood

Gullet

[ Edited: 08 May 2009 04:51 AM by Science Union movement ]
 Signature 

We are “Science Union” public-political movement from Russian Federation (http://www.nauchnii-soyuz.narod.ru, “narod” is people). We stand for the “United State of Earth” (“USE”) and support “Humanist Manifesto 2000” - to add to it -> http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/5817. In Russian our name sounds as “Nauchnii Soyuz”, (“soyuz” is union). Our symbol is “Sputnik-1” - the mankind’s first satellite in space (see our avatar). You are welcome to join!

Posted: 08 May 2009 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
Science Union movement - 08 May 2009 04:22 AM
Mriana - 07 May 2009 07:51 PM

The benefits of red wine are in antioxidants and other useful substances to which alcohol is unrelated.

No, this is incorrect. I suggest you go look at the URLs I provided from Harvard and the Mayo Clinic.

Science Union movement - 08 May 2009 04:22 AM

To remind:

Antialcohol campaign of the First state TV channel in Russia.

The links lead to videos

http://www.1tv.ru/pr/si=5761&fi=553

100 gramms of vodka kills up to 8 000 brain cells.

http://www.1tv.ru/news/about/136829

In order of appearance:

Brain

Heart

Blood

Gullet

SUM, you have several times here re-posted substantially the same thing more than once. We discourage multiple identical postings, as per the rules.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 May 2009 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-05
dougsmith - 08 May 2009 04:50 AM

No, this is incorrect. I suggest you go look at the URLs I provided from Harvard and the Mayo Clinic.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Re: SUM, you have several times here re-posted substantially the same thing more than once. We discourage multiple identical postings, as per the rules.

This is another topic. The videos are in “Recommendations to resolve present social-economical, political and ecological situation in the world”. How will those, who visit this topic, know of the videos (there are so many topics in the forum!)?

SUM, you respond to my admonition not to continually repost the same messages by appending a repost of a message you posted elsewhere. I have taken it out. If you wish to cite something you wrote elsewhere, you can do it with a URL link; however once again, we discourage postings that are simply URLs to your own prior work. I suggest you make yourself acquainted with our rules, which can be perused HERE. Continued failure to follow the rules will result in banning.  dougsmith—Admin

Re: reposting

A moderator stated earlier (topic - ?) that links were also discouraged as ones taking away from topics.

[ Edited: 08 May 2009 05:44 AM by Science Union movement ]
 Signature 

Posted: 08 May 2009 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

I’m more interested in helping to create a Humanism- and Humanist-friendly world than in establishing a separate Humanist enclave. The latter strikes me as a utopian vision, whereas the former is the work that we Humanists do every day without labeling it as such. It’s the difference between striving for purity versus striving to make a creative contribution in the world.

The compromises from our secular Constitution in the United States are maddening, but just the same there are boundaries between church and state. Meanwhile, science is flourishing (more under Obama than under Bush), artistic expression is quite open by historic standards and human freedom is also flourishing, again by historic standards. We Humanists would do well to point out that society faces unprecedented challenges today, which cannot be addressed by the old politics: for example, what are the implications of the rise of international corporate giants and what is the future of nation-states in that setting? We cannot address problems like that, or environmental degradation or loss of species or the exploding human population, in our own separate enclave.

I don’t know how serious SUM, or anyone, is about a Humanist homeland, but I don’t see us accomplishing much by isolating ourselves. The only way I can see this accomplishing anything is if we had the resources to fund research, technological development, artistic expression, or some other significant field of endeavor that wouldn’t move forward without a Humanist homeland. If someone can figure out how we can do that (and we can agree what to call ourselves smirk ), then I’m in.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 08 May 2009 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-05
PLaClair - 08 May 2009 05:10 AM

I’m more interested in helping to create a Humanism- and Humanist-friendly world than in establishing a separate Humanist enclave. The latter strikes me as a utopian vision, whereas the former is the work that we Humanists do every day without labeling it as such. It’s the difference between striving for purity versus striving to make a creative contribution in the world.

The compromises from our secular Constitution in the United States are maddening, but just the same there are boundaries between church and state. Meanwhile, science is flourishing (more under Obama than under Bush), artistic expression is quite open by historic standards and human freedom is also flourishing, again by historic standards. We Humanists would do well to point out that society faces unprecedented challenges today, which cannot be addressed by the old politics: for example, what are the implications of the rise of international corporate giants and what is the future of nation-states in that setting? We cannot address problems like that, or environmental degradation or loss of species or the exploding human population, in our own separate enclave.

I don’t know how serious SUM, or anyone, is about a Humanist homeland, but I don’t see us accomplishing much by isolating ourselves. The only way I can see this accomplishing anything is if we had the resources to fund research, technological development, artistic expression, or some other significant field of endeavor that wouldn’t move forward without a Humanist homeland. If someone can figure out how we can do that (and we can agree what to call ourselves smirk ), then I’m in.

We, mankind, are a big family with the surname Homo sapiens.

The Earth is our home!

To have it separated in states is wrong. There must be one language to speak. (possibly, based on several languages and simple).

Having the so called “United State of the Earth” will stop wars and save trillions of (to be precise - US) dollars to put in progress development and to achieve much more.

The ideal state is possible and we have recommendations how to create it - see our posting - http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/5817/
. .
. .

Signature 

Posted: 08 May 2009 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

For some time I’ve had a strange feeling of deja vue.  I just remembered when I was about twelve, our next door neighbor had many of the same views as S.U.M.  He invited my father to a meeting of his group and drove us there in his car which was painted gray, and with a large red circle on the door (recently the symbol for yin and yang).  We listened to the speaker tell us all about the wonders of TECHNOCRACY.  My father was quite polite and said nothing.  However, when we got home, I asked what he thought about it.  He said something like, “You can’t subsist on pie in the sky.”  Fortunately, I have a good memory, because I could seldom figure out what the devil my father was talking about when I was a child.  smile

I suggest the Science Union people dig up some literature from them.  That way they could save time and not have to come up with the same flaky ideas all over again.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 09 May 2009 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
Occam - 08 May 2009 07:07 PM

For some time I’ve had a strange feeling of deja vue.  I just remembered when I was about twelve, our next door neighbor had many of the same views as S.U.M.  He invited my father to a meeting of his group and drove us there in his car which was painted gray, and with a large red circle on the door (recently the symbol for yin and yang).  We listened to the speaker tell us all about the wonders of TECHNOCRACY.  My father was quite polite and said nothing.  However, when we got home, I asked what he thought about it.  He said something like, “You can’t subsist on pie in the sky.”  Fortunately, I have a good memory, because I could seldom figure out what the devil my father was talking about when I was a child.  smile

I suggest the Science Union people dig up some literature from them.  That way they could save time and not have to come up with the same flaky ideas all over again.  LOL

Occam

Isn’t the view presented by S.U.M. identical to a novel or a combination of novels? Not just 1984, but I think there are a few other books mixed in there. If I recall correctly, none of them ended well.  smile

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 10 May 2009 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-05

Occam

The point is that “...the ideas…” are flaking resistant.

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2009 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-05
Jules - 09 May 2009 06:53 PM

Occam

Isn’t the view presented by S.U.M. identical to a novel or a combination of novels? Not just 1984, but I think there are a few other books mixed in there. If I recall correctly, none of them ended well.  smile

Thank you for info about “Technocracy”. We are going to get in touch with them (their site - http://www.technocracy.org).

Utopian novels have existed since times of John Milton’s “Paradise lost”, “Paradise regained”. One will definitely find some similar for such stories ideas in our recommendation as time has proved them right. The thing to do was to make the ideas realistic and this how the “Recommendations…” appeared - only what can be done and what is wanted by all people. Multiple member civil partnership (in addition to family) can be introduced. Civil uniform can be introduced (to get and wear by desire). Basic food and “shelter” (place in a hostel or military style barracks) can be provided. The Earth Safety Centre (ecology, interplanetary threats, natural calamities) must be introduced. The Earth must be cleaned ecologically. Common language for mankind can be introduced with the help of science quicker than it will take for it to appear naturally. All countries can be united in one (the so called “United State of the Earth”). And than one will be able to travel without visas.

We have realistic recommendations.

[ Edited: 10 May 2009 08:58 AM by Science Union movement ]
 Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2009 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2008-06-13
Science Union movement - 10 May 2009 06:43 AM

We have realistic recommendations.

No, I’d have to disagree with you there.  Given the response that you’ve gotten on this forum from relatively open and progressive individuals, I think you would have a tremendously difficult time selling your ideas to the public at large.

Posted: 10 May 2009 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Here’s a scenario for you Science Union Movement:
In the year 2018 the SUM finally achieves hegemony. The masses around the world all fold into the New Fold-The S.U.M.!
2019 The first uniforms are distributed as promised, and provided for all who choose to where them-as promised.
An overwhelming majority of 77% of the people don their new Uniforms in a Collegiate sense of Science Duty.
2021 The first signs of anomaly begin to manifest as the uniformed folk begin to glance at the non-uniformed people out of the corners of their eyes.The uniformed folk begin occasional disgruntled murmurs. Ugly rumors abound about the Non-Uniformed also engaging in Anal-Sex.There’s talk of the Non-Uniformed also drinking alcohol.
2023 Task forces are formed to educate the non-uniformed folk into the benefits of wearing the Uniform. Millions more folks see the light and begin wearing the uniform. Still many millions more choose not to wear the uniform. They grow more and more hushed, signs of discrimination begin to appear.
2027 Task Forces are sent out to hunt down the Non-Uniformed Filth. They are found everywhere, and are expelled from work, from cultural events and even from the Sacred Fitness Halls.
2033 The last of the Uniform Resistance is hunted down. Nothing is left to preserve their memory.
2034 A new commission is started to investigate the Family members of the Non-Uniformed. New Task forces are formed!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 10 May 2009 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-05
VYAZMA - 10 May 2009 01:13 PM

Here’s a scenario for you Science Union Movement:
In the year 2018 the SUM finally achieves hegemony. The masses around the world all fold into the New Fold-The S.U.M.!
2019 The first uniforms are distributed as promised, and provided for all who choose to where them-as promised.
An overwhelming majority of 77% of the people don their new Uniforms in a Collegiate sense of Science Duty.
2021 The first signs of anomaly begin to manifest as the uniformed folk begin to glance at the non-uniformed people out of the corners of their eyes.The uniformed folk begin occasional disgruntled murmurs. Ugly rumors abound about the Non-Uniformed also engaging in Anal-Sex.There’s talk of the Non-Uniformed also drinking alcohol.
2023 Task forces are formed to educate the non-uniformed folk into the benefits of wearing the Uniform. Millions more folks see the light and begin wearing the uniform. Still many millions more choose not to wear the uniform. They grow more and more hushed, signs of discrimination begin to appear.
2027 Task Forces are sent out to hunt down the Non-Uniformed Filth. They are found everywhere, and are expelled from work, from cultural events and even from the Sacred Fitness Halls.
2033 The last of the Uniform Resistance is hunted down. Nothing is left to preserve their memory.
2034 A new commission is started to investigate the Family members of the Non-Uniformed. New Task forces are formed!

The uniform is available to all who want to have it. And is to be worn by its owner’s desire.
. .
. .
. .

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2009 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Occam

I came here from the TechnocracyNET.eu boards and let me assure you, SUM’s views are quite different from Technocracy…. Technocracy is a lot more libertarian in nature, among other things. Technocracy Inc.‘s membership in North America has dwindled down to very small numbers, but it seems to be faring somewhat better in Europe (Network of European Technocrats), with their modified version. That being said, most of Tech Inc.‘s core material dates back to the depression era, but that doesn’t mean they don’t make good points. In fact, the fact that Tech Inc. is still around says something about its integrity. Technocracy’s predictions of the price system’s collapse are showing through with the latest financial crisis we are in. It may not collapse now, but how much longer can it be made to last? And will the current price system allow us to achieve a truly sustainable society? Or will government have to jump in at some point and take control of resource spending?

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

6 of 7

What is Humanism ››