7 of 7
Humanist Homeland?
Posted: 11 May 2009 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Well, as I said, my exposure to it was in the early 1940’s.  I’m sure it’s changed over the last sixty some-odd years.

Occam

Posted: 11 May 2009 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Sure, I understand. I just feel bad that Technocracy has such a bad rap when it really isn’t so bad (anymore?). It could use more members, especially at a time like this.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 11 May 2009 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I didn’t say it was bad.  It had fine goals, but rather innocent (and possibly superficial) views of economics and human behavior.

Occam

Posted: 11 May 2009 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2007-05-20
Science Union movement - 08 May 2009 05:59 AM
PLaClair - 08 May 2009 05:10 AM

I don’t know how serious SUM, or anyone, is about a Humanist homeland, but I don’t see us accomplishing much by isolating ourselves. The only way I can see this accomplishing anything is if we had the resources to fund research, technological development, artistic expression, or some other significant field of endeavor that wouldn’t move forward without a Humanist homeland. If someone can figure out how we can do that (and we can agree what to call ourselves smirk ), then I’m in.

We, mankind, are a big family with the surname Homo sapiens.
The Earth is our home!

To have it separated in states is wrong. There must be one language to speak. (possibly, based on several languages and simple).

Having the so called “United State of the Earth” will stop wars and save trillions of (to be precise - US) dollars to put in progress development and to achieve much more.

The ideal state is possible and we have recommendations how to create it - see our posting - http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/5817/
. .

The first problem with a fixed Humanist locale would be that it would likely be over-run with atheists, presuming to be Humanists, and things would degenerate from there.

Better Humanists work to empower the UN, make war manufacturing illegal, collect taxes for the planet.

That battle is there to be won among the parapets of the Internet, not Wyoming.

Signature 

Dwight Jones
http://www.humanism.ws
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

“Our lives teach us who we are.”
-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 11 May 2009 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
Occam - 11 May 2009 01:07 PM

I didn’t say it was bad.  It had fine goals, but rather innocent (and possibly superficial) views of economics and human behavior.

Occam

I agree, those two points are something they could stand to work on.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 14 May 2009 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2008-10-26
NecAsperaTerrent - 01 August 2007 04:10 PM
narwhol - 01 August 2007 02:02 PM

Rhyl’s no use either, I live very close to the Welsh border, we get immigrants coming into England from there all the time.

I certainly wouldn’t want to encourage any more male voice choir singing Troglodytes to cross Offa’s dyke from West to East! wink

Perhaps I should reconsider?

There’s an area in central England that might do nicely.

Unfortunately there’s a bit of old rubble that might need clearing first…

small_stonehenge04.JPG

Does St. Andrew’s, Grahamstown, mean anything to you?  That would be my choice for a place to live…................!
Those 1820 homes are wonderful and it even has a line of forts to help with our protection.  Would the Anglicans give it up?

Posted: 11 June 2009 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-06-11

Somebody needs to “get a life”, a lot!

Posted: 11 June 2009 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Total Posts:  4076
Joined  2006-11-28

Not a substantive or useful comment, and very close to a personal attack. As a new member of the forum, you may not be familiar with the tone we maintain here, but please avoid these sorts of potentially inflammatory comments.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

7 of 7

What is Humanism ››