1 of 2
Randi lecture in NYC
Posted: 09 September 2008 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-09-14

Join New York City Skeptics as we celebrate our first anniversary with a special lecture by James “The Amazing” Randi.

James Randi: I Doubt That!

When: Friday October 10, 2008 @ 7:00 PM
Where: Caspary Auditorium @ Rockefeller University - 1230 York Avenue (66th St.) New York City

Admission is free and open to the public

In recent years, the skeptical movement has emerged and flourished, attracting major academics, authors, and media agencies. At the same time, the media itself has been essentially responsible for promoting what we refer to as the “woo-woo” element – everything from astrology to talking-to-the-dead have been prominently featured in newspapers, books, and on television, to the detriment of the public. This retreat from reality and rationality has brought government, academic, and cultural agencies to recognize the hunger of the public for nonsense, and the fact that ignoring that need can cost them money and acceptance. Even PBS features quacks and charlatans in its fund-raising campaigns. Hospitals and pharmaceutical vendors accept all sorts of pseudoscientific treatments as valid. And no politician dares fail to invoke supernatural forces in closing an appeal for support.

This is the situation with which the skeptical movement is faced…

Read more at http://www.nycskeptics.org/lectures/randi

Posted: 10 September 2008 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

This sounds great. My husband and I are fans of Randi. We’ll have to get a babysitter!

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 11 September 2008 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2006-10-27

Also, to let people know, there is a forum hosted by the New York City Skeptics:

http://www.nycskeptics.org/forum/index.php

Here you can find out more information on Randi’s lecture, other NYC Skeptics events as well as many other topics of skeptical interest.

If you are in the NYC metropolitan area you should check it out, they are in need of some new blood to kick start this relatively new forum!

Signature 

James Shanks

Posted: 11 September 2008 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Well, there’s also folks on this forum from NYC ...

wink

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 September 2008 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-27
dougsmith - 11 September 2008 11:20 AM

Well, there’s also folks on this forum from NYC ...

wink

Yes. Exactly. That’s why I posted the information. The CFI New York City site link for forums takes you here yet there is no NYC specific forum listed, only Michigan, Canada, Pittsburgh, Portland, San Francisco and L.A. Why is this? This is the most populous city in North America and also home of the U.N. at which CFI has NGO status and yet there is no dedicated forum? (BTW - why does all my membership material come from Long Island rather than CFI NYC?)

I’m not saying anyone here from New York should go to the NYC Skeptics forum INSTEAD OF coming here, rather, that it seems like it would be a good additional resource, especially for topics of local interest.

Signature 

James Shanks

Posted: 11 September 2008 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
JamesShanks - 11 September 2008 11:33 AM

Yes. Exactly. That’s why I posted the information. The CFI New York City site link for forums takes you here yet there is no NYC specific forum listed, only Michigan, Canada, Pittsburgh, Portland, San Francisco and L.A. Why is this? This is the most populous city in North America and also home of the U.N. at which CFI has NGO status and yet there is no dedicated forum? (BTW - why does all my membership material come from Long Island rather than CFI NYC?)

*Sigh* ...  There used to be folders for all of the local CFI centers. They got relatively little traction, so they were all taken down at once, and replaced by the “CFI Centers and Communities” folder. Now local center leaders have opted piecemeal to put up folders for their own center, and so we have a few, but not all. IMNSHO it’s a bit of a mess, but these decisions are made somewhere else.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 11 September 2008 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

[NYC] is the most populous city in North America…

No, it’s not. Mexico City is.

Posted: 11 September 2008 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-27
George - 11 September 2008 01:35 PM

[NYC] is the most populous city in North America…

No, it’s not. Mexico City is.

Thank you. You are absolutely correct, there is no contest. I’ve revealed my USA biased thinking.

I should have said BEST, but then I could have replaced “North America” with “World.” hehe

Signature 

James Shanks

Posted: 11 September 2008 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I like NYC. There is no other like it; that’s for sure.

Posted: 21 September 2008 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2008-09-18

Any skeptic who claims a truly open, rational and critical mind should explore the evidence concerning James Randi. The following article should provide a truly thought provoking insight into Randi, his methods and claims.

Visit (http://www.skepticalinvestigations.org/exam/Prescott_Randi.htm) to view the article titled “A Skeptical Look At James Randi”. We must always question before we believe smile

Posted: 21 September 2008 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Rramjet - 21 September 2008 09:45 AM

Any skeptic who claims a truly open, rational and critical mind should explore the evidence concerning James Randi. The following article should provide a truly thought provoking insight into Randi, his methods and claims.

Visit (http://www.skepticalinvestigations.org/exam/Prescott_Randi.htm) to view the article titled “A Skeptical Look At James Randi”. We must always question before we believe smile

There are threads on this with additional links on the Randi forum HERE and HERE.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 21 September 2008 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Isn’t that letter from back in 2003, and didn’t Randi already respond to that nonsense?

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 21 September 2008 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Oh, thanks Doug! You saved me the trouble.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2008 01:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2008-09-18

Hmm - I expected to find from your links a critical analysis of why the Michael Prescott article may be substantially flawed in it’s methodology, presentation or conclusions. The final post in the thread from your first link says it succinctly “115 reads and no-one has anything to say?”

The second link you provide contains more substantive informative. I concede that here, some of the claims against Michael Prescott contain more weight. Although not conclusive (it comes down to who is now lying or retracting claims formerly made) or fatal to the general thrust of Prescott’s article, the criticism do taint parts of it and therefore weaken the article overall. Perhaps a more substantive critique of Randi may be found at:

http://www.aiprinc.org/para-C05_Thalbourne_1995.pdf

Posted: 22 September 2008 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  731
Joined  2007-06-20
Rramjet - 22 September 2008 01:24 AM

Perhaps a more substantive critique of Randi may be found at:

http://www.aiprinc.org/para-C05_Thalbourne_1995.pdf

Perhaps not.  That was a very educational, and funny, episode.  A cautionary tale for future less-than-rigorous investigations.

I’m not sure what revelation you seem to be after in presenting events that Randi will gleefully recount himself.

[ Edited: 22 September 2008 06:20 AM by the PC apeman ]
 Signature 

PC

Posted: 12 October 2008 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

So did anyone go to the talk? How was it? Unfortunately I was out of town.

Signature 

Doug

1 of 2