Greetings from Calgary
Posted: 10 September 2008 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-09-10

I just wanted to say hi and thanks to CFI for the website and forums as a place for some great information.

I would consider myself a believer, but with some skepticism and have been reading a lot of books on Atheism as of late. I’m interested in Agnosticism and Humanism as well. If there are any books that other members can recommend to me, that would be great. I look forward to talking to some of you in the near future. Thanks.

Go Oilers!

Posted: 10 September 2008 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
eracism - 10 September 2008 10:24 AM

I’m interested in Agnosticism and Humanism as well.

From where you’re right now, it is down one floor, last door on your left!  grin Welcome, eracism.

Posted: 10 September 2008 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Hello and welcome, eracism. As you might imagine, there are a lot of good books out there. (And I’ve only read a few of them!) Which ones have you liked? It would probably be better just to start a thread in the appropriate folder and ask for suggestions there.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 September 2008 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Hi and welcome.  There is one book on Humanism I highly recommend.  I think she wrote to use as a textbook, but it doesn’t read like a textbook, but rather a very informative book.  It’s called Humanism:  Beliefs and Practices by Jeaneane Fowler.  I found it when I was taking some of the “courses” on http://www.humanisteducation.com/  Both are very informative and I enjoyed them a lot.  Jeaneane Fowler does the Psychology and Humanism courses there, which I thought was the most fascinating ones of all the courses I took there, but then again, Psychology has been my thing too. BTW, the courses are free there, though they do ask for donations, but it is not like any other online courses in that you don’t have any instructor grading them nor do you have any contact with them.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

‹‹ It is a good day.      New from Erie, PA ››