2 of 2
AI and God
Posted: 18 September 2008 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

If it is indeed determined that a computer with AI possesses a soul, then wouldn’t some people declare it a crime to burn out a transistor? Does life begin when you turn on the power or only after the operating system boots up? How can this soul be immortal when you can pull the plug? And would such computers have a God in whose image they are made? Would He be an old computer with a beard? Would His Son have been executed by making Him run MS-DOS? Could such computers have free will or could they defend themselves in criminal proceedings by claiming “My programming made me do it!”

So many theological questions are raised by this issue…

Posted: 18 September 2008 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  337
Joined  2008-09-10

This is somewhat off-topic, but the legal implications of AI and its status as a legal person with rights and obligations will likely have to be addressed as well as religious issues, and may be of more immediate concern.  Of course, the law already recognizes entities such as corporations and limited liability comapnies as “persons” fully able to own property, enter into contracts, etc.
AI, though, would be something different, as it presumably would not function as a useful legal fiction—an organization treated as a “person” in the law for various reasons, acting through its constituents. 

AI is currently a subject of speculation, certainly, but there could be “real world” implications shortly.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 September 2008 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-09-09

Also off topic a bit:

Would AI even care for religion? I would certainly hope whatever AI comes around would be programmed to think logically

2 of 2