University of Arizona
Posted: 10 September 2008 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-09-09

Unless I missed this in the entire two pages we have in this forum…

I’m hoping any members of “Geniuses of Diversity: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists”, which according to the campus section of the CFI site is located at the UofA, stumble across this thread sometime soon.
If so, then do me a favor and give the times and locations for any meetings coming up soon.
If not, then uh… Well, don’t do anything.

And if this group is no more (no idea why that would be), then I’ll start a group. Or restart, whatever. I’m assuming this is actually the case because a CFI guy who was visiting our campus didn’t know of any UofA groups.

Posted: 11 September 2008 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2002-09-09

Hello,

There isn’t currently an active group at UofA, unfortunately.  We’re in the process of updating the CFI campus groups listing to reflect the groups that are active this school year, but it takes a little bit of time to collect the information from the different groups.

But, you’re in luck (metaphorically)!  The CFI Community of Southern Arizona is working with a couple of students to get a new group underway at UofA, starting with an event on Sunday: “Materialist Naturalism and the Philosophy of Mind” with Dr. Terry Horgan.

I recommend going to that link and getting in touch with Paul Taylor and Jerry Karches, the CFI SAZ coordinators, and seeing if you can help them get a new group started!

You can also sign up on the CFI campus website, http://www.centerforinquiry.net/oncampus/, to receive the Campus Inquirer newsletter and register your interest in starting a group at UofA.

Please feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions.

Best,

Debbie Goddard
Field Organizer
Center for Inquiry
(716) 636-4869 x421

Posted: 11 September 2008 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-09

Thanks for the information!
I’ll definitely be sending some emails in a moment! cool smile

Posted: 15 September 2008 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-09

Alright, the club is almost official. Myself and two other students are turning in the paperwork tomorrow, and we already have 30 emails or so of our interested peers. We’re expecting about 3-5 to show up to the first meeting.

This is wicked awesome!  cool smile

Posted: 16 September 2008 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2002-09-09

Fantastic!  Some other things you can do:

- Sign up to receive the Campus Inquirer newsletter and other CFI On Campus announcements.

- Fill out a CFI Campus Group Application.  You can always fill one out later when more of those details have been determined (like a Facebook group).  When we receive that application, we’ll put a box of materials in the mail for you, including complimentary issues of Free Inquiry and Skeptical Inquirer magazines, stickers, brochures and pamphlets, copies of the Secular Humanist Bulletin (which has a campus outreach section), DVDs, etc.

- Take a look at some of the other campus organizing resources at http://www.centerforinquiry.net/oncampus/.

I’m glad to hear you’re getting a group going there!  Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me at dgoddard at centerforinquiry.net to keep us posted or to ask any questions.

Debbie