Latest Scam _ “Tesla Watches”
Posted: 17 September 2008 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2229
Joined  2007-04-26

Today I saw a patient who proudly displayed for me his new “Tesla Watch”.  “They’re the latest thing, very popular, everybody is wearing them. I thought you were up on all the latest medical treatments doc” he pronounced with some disappointment in his voice. He then went on to tell me how these watches produce a magnetic field which protects you from radiation and helps keep you healthy. He even pronounced that a mysterious rash he claimed to have on his hand had disappeared and that this was proof positive it worked.

I spent a small amount of time trying to explain the physics involved and why this was unlikley to offer any health benefits to him, but I could see it was all lost on him. We decided to agree to disagree on the usefullness of the watch since I couldn’t afford to spend my entire day teaching him about electromagnetic fields, but what a bunch of nonsense. It seems there is always someone out there trying to come up with a new way to scam the public. Take a bunch of BS and sprinkle in just enough pseudoscience so it looks plausible to a gullible public and you have a license to print money it seems.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 17 September 2008 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Tell him that the pharmaceutical industry is too evil and too powerful to allow anything as “advanced” as Tesla Watches to exist. An antivenom must have the same basis as the venom itself.

Posted: 17 September 2008 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

It’s rather disturbing that so many people are falling for this. I found one website in particular with some interesting claims. Here are a few rather humorous snippets from the site:

“Some Teslar wearers (about 35%) report physically “feeling” better when wearing the watch. Some (about 25-30%) don’t say they “feel” any better – but their family, friends or business associates can see the difference in their disposition – even if they cannot. And, if you are a “healthy” type individual, you may notice that you don’t get “sick” or “catch a cold” as frequently as you used to before you stared wearing your Teslar watch. You may find that you aren’t as sensitive or reactive to pollen or fungus, as many of these symptoms occur as a result of you being sensitive to electromagnetic fields.”

“Renowned scientists throughout the World have submitted studies with reference to the immune system and the nervous system with results showing better sleep patterns, improved concentration and better focus in the workplace, increased levels of energy, and less tension overall.”

Oh, this is the best quote yet, “If your watch works, then stops working, it’s because of the amount of negative electricity in your body, and the Teslar chip is trying to perform a detox. Remember, the Teslar watch is much more than a watch!”

(Click here for source, within site, click F.A.Q. section)

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 17 September 2008 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-04-26
Jules - 17 September 2008 10:59 AM

“Some Teslar wearers (about 35%) report physically “feeling” better when wearing the watch. [/url]

Thanks for the info. Its interesting that in many drug studies the response rate for the placebo arm is usually about 30-35%, especially if the symptoms you are trying to treat are vague and there is no objecitive way to measure response. Obviously this is a good example of the placebo effect at work.

What was I thinking going to medical school. I should have been a watch salesman. grin

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 17 September 2008 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2008-02-27

This sounds like the healthful benefits of using negative ions and “far infrared light.”  Unfortunately my mother has become suspetible to this stuff.  They prey on people’s fear and depression about getting older to sell them a raft of useless products, diet supplements and natural supplements.  I’m not one of these anti-vaccine people and I know some vitamins can be helpful.  Far infra-red light is just laughable though.  If you want more of that, go stand in the sunlight.

Incidentally and off-post, I went to your website and really enjoyed looking at your photos.  Nat’l Geographic is sponsoring a photo contest and your work would seem to fit in with the contest.  If you enter, good luck.

Posted: 17 September 2008 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-04-26
JRM5001 - 17 September 2008 11:15 AM

Incidentally and off-post, I went to your website and really enjoyed looking at your photos.  Nat’l Geographic is sponsoring a photo contest and your work would seem to fit in with the contest.  If you enter, good luck.

Thanks. I actually entered that contest a few months back. There are some great photos entered each month ( and some bad ones too), and the winner has his photo published in National Geographic which is not a bad prize. Unfortunately although I was in first place most of the month ( The public gets to vote daily and the final tally determines the winner) I eventually lost to a pretty dumb photo of a frog I believe.  confused

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2008 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Well, I’d be willing to wear a Tesla watch on each wrist if I could draw a two foot arc between them as one can do with a Tesla coil.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 18 September 2008 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

I left out the best part. At the end of the visit, to further solidify his argument the patient informed me that “Oprah was promoting the use of these watches on her show”.  Well that just closed the deal for me, since she is the expert on all medical and science issues.

Its really depressing to think that the general public looks to Oprah as a reliable source of medical and scientific information.

[ Edited: 18 September 2008 08:02 AM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2008 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 17 September 2008 10:59 AM

Oh, this is the best quote yet, “If your watch works, then stops working, it’s because of the amount of negative electricity in your body, and the Teslar chip is trying to perform a detox. Remember, the Teslar watch is much more than a watch!”

LOL IMAGINE THAT!!! When MY watch stops working, it’s just broken!

Mcgyver, I lost faith in Oprah about 20 years ago, she has a long history of promoting crap! Most of my coworkers worship the ground she walks on. I think she means well, but she should at least make an EFFORT to learn about the things she promotes, she is a target for every huckster out there! I refuse to watch her, or discuss her show. smirk

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 September 2008 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Perhaps Oprah needs to wear one of those watches on her head, to correct the electrical imbalance that makes her believe absolutely ANYTHING people shove at her.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 18 September 2008 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-04-26
asanta - 18 September 2008 08:55 AM

Mcgyver, I lost faith in Oprah about 20 years ago, she has a long history of promoting crap! Most of my coworkers worship the ground she walks on. I think she means well, but she should at least make an EFFORT to learn about the things she promotes, she is a target for every huckster out there! I refuse to watch her, or discuss her show. smirk

I couldn’t agree with you more. Unfortunately despite that fact that she is an expert on nothing and recklessly promotes things without researching them, she is one of the most influential people on the planet. To a large segment of the country, if it comes out of her mouth it must be true.

We all know what a fraud Dr. Phil has turned out to be and he was one of her darlings. Her current “medical expert” Dr. Memet Oz is probably a descent cardiac surgeon, but he frequently gives inaccurate advice on areas of medicine he knows nothing about. He has become much more interested in self promotion and pandering to the latest medical fad, and not so interested in presenting accurate medical advice. Because he is on Oprah though, I often have to waste time explaining to patients why the advice he gave is wrong and my advice is correct. He doesn’t seem to bother reading the medical journals and believes that his personal oppinion trumps objective data from actual scientific studies.

Sorry to ramble on. as you can tell I am no big fan of Oprah or her darling Dr. Oz.

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2008 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-09-18

I dread to think about some of the mumbo jumbo doctors have to listen to.  I should imagine it is the least enjoyable part of the job, even if you consider how many gangrenous toes and bizarre gardening accidents they have to treat.

Signature 

Can I include your ‘why I’m an atheist’ story in my book?  Mail me or visit my blog, http://howgoodisthat.wordpress.com

Posted: 18 September 2008 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2008-06-20

I’m opening a franchise store here in Canada!!!!
smile

Pssst! Wanna buy a watch?

Signature 

I’m not sayin’....
I’m just sayin’....