2 of 5
A little levity amongst the seriousness
Posted: 10 October 2008 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
Jules - 04 October 2008 11:28 AM

I like the cheerleader - at a gas pump instead of a podium LOL

I think the artwork is great/amazing and I recommend checking out the WWW site. However I don’t really see “a little levity” in the statue-of-liberty piece. 

Jules thanks for the thread.

Posted: 10 October 2008 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
Jackson - 10 October 2008 02:49 AM

I think the artwork is great/amazing and I recommend checking out the WWW site. However I don’t really see “a little levity” in the statue-of-liberty piece. 

The statue of liberty one was a little too serious for me, too. I liked the cheerleader, though.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 10 October 2008 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-10-07
Jules - 10 October 2008 04:14 AM
Jackson - 10 October 2008 02:49 AM

The statue of liberty one was a little too serious for me, too. I liked the cheerleader, though.

Yeah, that look on her face in the statue of liberty piece is quite disturbing.

Signature 

J. Bobby Lopez
Web: http://jbldata.com/
Twitter: jbobbylopez

Posted: 10 October 2008 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

I may be mistaken, but I believe the statue of liberty art was loosely based on an actual photo of Palin holding a moose (or wolf?) she had shot - proudly displaying her kill and smiling for the camera.

I like the other pieces though - it’s just that the statue of liberty one is kind of sad.

I think Axegrrl posted the artwork? I don’t have that first page open, if I’m mistaken I’ll edit this. Axegrrl, what’s your take on that particular piece? Curious to hear your thoughts.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 10 October 2008 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Here are some funny “fake profiles” of the candidates from the Onion - click on each:

Obama

McCain

Biden

Palin

Signature 

Posted: 10 October 2008 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree, Jules.  Many of my posts here are meant on the surface to be humorous, however, beneath them I’m trying to say something much more serious.  Unfortunately, quite a few people seem unable or unwilling to look at such things and identify and understand different levels of meaning. 

In reference to the criticism above about the picture of the Statue of Liberty, look at the other two cartoons the Axgirl posted at the same time.  We, as secular liberals, found them funny, however, a strong conservative would have found the first obnoxious and a religious fundamentalist would have found the second one the same.  There are two factors here: 1.  different people find different things funny, 2. While Jules used the word “levity” in the title, I see this thread as pointing out in images flaws in the subjects shown.  As such, I believe the Statue of Liberty image, while painful, was quite germane here.

Occam

Posted: 10 October 2008 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

I just meant the thread to be some lighthearted fun regarding all the candidates, since many of us (myself included) have their stomachs in a knot over this election. I believe humor is therapeutic.

I’ve tried to post jokes/cartoons regarding both tickets to be fair, and I see jokes/cartoons from both sides being posted by various people. That being said, people’s taste in humor varies widely.

So I’ll sum up my post with this funny - but extremely true - satire piece from The Onion:

“BOSTON—According to an eye-opening report released Tuesday, 60 million people whom you would never talk to, would never be in a position to talk to, and wouldn’t even be able to talk to if you tried will be voting for the other candidate in this year’s presidential election, and there is nothing you can do about it.

The 110-page document reveals that these strangers share a fundamental vision of our nation’s future, a vision that shockingly runs completely counter to your own and is furthermore embodied by the candidate whom you could not in a million years fathom being the leader of the free world. Even more frightening, the report says, is that their votes count just as much as yours.

“While you are 100 percent certain that your preferred candidate’s stance on issues such as foreign policy and the economy would appeal to any human being with half a brain, there is, in this very same country, an equally large voting bloc which believes that you and your candidate of choice are absolutely insane,” the report’s co-author Dr. Mark Grier said during a press conference. “Every single thing you love about your candidate’s personality, vice presidential pick, and family, 60 million other registered voters absolutely deplore.”

“What you consider to be this country’s ruin,” Grier added, “these other people actually consider to be this country’s savior.”

For the full “fake article” click below:

Report: 60 Million People You’d Never Talk To Voting For Other Guy

Signature 

Posted: 10 October 2008 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

That was good!

Posted: 11 October 2008 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
Jules - 10 October 2008 10:34 AM

I like the other pieces though - it’s just that the statue of liberty one is kind of sad.

I think Axegrrl posted the artwork? I don’t have that first page open, if I’m mistaken I’ll edit this. Axegrrl, what’s your take on that particular piece? Curious to hear your thoughts.

`

I think you already described it perfectly Jules….....‘sad’.

I admire the statue of liberty artpiece the same way i’d admire a political cartoon that makes a point ~ but yes, perhaps it doesn’t fall under the category of ‘levity’ as much as the others.  I still appreciate the way the artist made the point though.

[ Edited: 11 October 2008 05:21 AM by Axegrrl ]
 Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 11 October 2008 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2007-10-14
Occam - 10 October 2008 04:08 PM

While Jules used the word “levity” in the title, I see this thread as pointing out in images flaws in the subjects shown.  As such, I believe the Statue of Liberty image, while painful, was quite germane here.

I guess I should have read all the comments in this thread before I responded, because what you said above, Occam, I completely agree with :)

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 11 October 2008 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2007-10-14
Grayscale - 03 October 2008 07:17 PM

I hear if Obama loses for the dems this will be his next job. :-)
Driving.jpg

`

Ok, this one made me immediately giggle aloud…..before I had a chance to even realize why I was laughing.

When it comes to humour, that’s a wonderful thing :)

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2008 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2007-10-14

`
I’m surprised that this one from the Daily Show hasn’t come up here yet!

John McCain - Reformed Maverick

`

Signature 

Posted: 12 October 2008 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
Axegrrl - 11 October 2008 05:18 AM

`
I’m surprised that this one from the Daily Show hasn’t come up here yet!

John McCain - Reformed Maverick

`

That was really funny.

Here’s a funny T-Shirt I saw online. (click picture for full size) It’s “Super Obama”  LOL

[ Edited: 12 October 2008 08:30 PM by Jules ]
Image Attachments
Super Obama.gif
 Signature 

Posted: 13 October 2008 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Here is a silly one from The Onion, poking fun at both Palin’s “Joe Six-Pack” quip and Obama’s reputation in some circles as “elitist.”

Obama Clinches ‘Joe Cabernet Sauvignon’ Vote

“Sen. Barack Obama has all but clinched the much-sought-after “Joe Cabernet Sauvignon” voting bloc. “Once again, Obama has proved his ability to speak directly to all the regular truffle-oil-guzzlin’, Nabokov-readin’, opera-attendin’ folks who play such an important part in deciding this election,”

“Sen. John McCain’s recent attempts to reach out to this constituency by wearing an elegant silk ascot were not well received, having been described in most quarters as “pandering of the most contemptuous variety.”

LOL

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2008 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Here is a silly game Palin As President.

It has Palin sitting in the oval office, but many things are different. See what you can spy, and hold your mouse over them or click to watch them change. It takes a bit of detective work on a few, but they’re funny!

For hints, there is a commentary on Pharyngula by people who’ve played.

Signature 

2 of 5