1 of 2
Raw Food Diet
Posted: 28 September 2008 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Woman loses 160 pounds on raw food diet

It sounds like lovely program - eat tons of unprocessed fruits, veggies, sprouts, nuts, and seeds. The young woman’s story is quite amazing. But is it practical? And are the heath benefits really as high as they are touted?

I think the obvious part of the diet - replacing a lot of fatty and junk foods with fruits and veggies - accounts for the majority of her amazing weight loss. Simply put, fruits and veggies have less calories and more fiber than say, potato chips or a hamburger. In fact, just reading her story gave me a little reminder to fill my shopping cart with more fruits veggies this weekend. Most people could use a few more servings of fruits and veggies.

But is the raw part necessary? Couldn’t one have cooked veggies and still reap the benefits of a healthy diet? And to the extreme of replacing all foods with raw veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds? Although I eat an extremely healthy diet, I don’t know what I’d do without my delicious 100% whole grain bread. Mmmmmmm…bread…fresh baked at home…getting hungry!

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 28 September 2008 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11

One result of cooking your food, aside from the ability to more easily integrate flavors, is to break it down to make it more digestible. Eating raw simply gives you more indigestible roughage (and a lot of flatus). Food that is not digested, does not contribute calories to your diet. And highly digestible butter or cream- are also raw foods, and VERY high calorie.

I remember a nurse who talked one of our oral surgeons to wire her mouth shut so she could ‘lose weight’. She asked the OS what she should eat, and he replied that she could have anything that fit between the wires. Perhaps her should not have been so general, she subsisted on a diet of milkshakes and gained 50 lbs by the time the wires were removed. This weight was gained at a much faster rate, than her previous gain. She ended up with a tracheotomy and subsequently died from weight related issues several years later.

The point is, you can gain weight on ANY diet, if you want to look for loopholes. The key would be lifestyle change and moderation. After all, she probably wouldn’t want to eat a diet consisting entirely of raw foods forever(I wonder if steak tartare counts?)!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 September 2008 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Also, if you notice: in nature, herbivores spend about 75% of their waking hours EATING.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 September 2008 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

Cooking food is probably one of the single greatest evolutionary advantages humanity has created. It breaks down food allowing more calories and nutrients to be absorbed. It protects us from food born illnesses by sterilizing our food. Not to mention it tastes better and is more enjoyable.

If you look around there are studies showing that a raw food diet can be extremely harmful! Women suffer from Amenohorrea. Men and Women suffer from vitamin deficiencies, and have problems maintaining a healthy body mass.  There’s a 20/20 expose`on raw food diets check it out. 20/20 Raw Food

[ Edited: 28 September 2008 11:25 PM by Some Guy ]
 Signature 

Dan

Posted: 28 September 2008 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

I would recommend going to the American Dietetic Association (ADA) website ADA. They are represented by certified scientists who understand nutrition, or simply meat with a dietitian if you would like to improve you diet. Make sure the information you get or the person you consult with is a dietitian not a “nutritionist” which requires no training or certification. The title Dietitian is a legally protected title like Doctor.

Also I think you can find computer programs that help you to plan and optimize a healthy diet, i.e. getting your RDA of vitamins,minerals,fats, carbohydrates, and protein.

I would say any diet which provides only anecdotal evidence with out a real scientific study should be disregarded until such time as a scientific study has been done supporting the health claims. In the case of raw foods the scientific evidence show it is ineffective and unhealthy.

[ Edited: 28 September 2008 11:28 PM by Some Guy ]
 Signature 

Dan

Posted: 29 September 2008 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Agree with the 2 previous posts 100%. The raw foodies are ignorant kooks (at least the ones I’ve seen).

Signature 

Posted: 29 September 2008 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

I suspected it was unpractical. At first glance it does seem like a lovely idea, eating lots of fruits and veggies. As I said, we can all use more fruits and veggies in our diets. But the extreme to which these people take it seems unwise. Even vegetarians or vegans have tofu, cooked legumes, soy, etc. in order to add protein to their diet.

It would seem that the use of fire by caveman was a good direction to go in, given that even some vegetables can be poisonous/toxic if eaten raw.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 29 September 2008 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Extreme s the key word. Kooks never do anything in moderation, and extremes of anything are rarely good for you.

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2008 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4534
Joined  2008-08-14

I remember a nurse who talked one of our oral surgeons to wire her mouth shut so she could ‘lose weight’. She asked the OS what she should eat, and he replied that she could have anything that fit between the wires. Perhaps her should not have been so general, she subsisted on a diet of milkshakes and gained 50 lbs by the time the wires were removed. This weight was gained at a much faster rate, than her previous gain. She ended up with a tracheotomy and subsequently died from weight related issues several years later.

Asanta,this is absolutely boffo!!Are you serious?I love these kind of stories.Couldn’t that surgeon get in trouble for that?It’s really too bad about the nurse,I really love that kind of determination.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 05 October 2008 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Wiring the jaws shut used to be a somewhat trendy diet fad years ago. I think it was supposed to help people drink only those OptiFast or MediFast liquid diets that Oprah made so popular years ago with her first big weight loss. Unfortunately, as Asanta’s story points out, some people replaced “diet shakes” with “milk shakes” apparently thinking any type of “shake” was OK!

I believe they did it by putting braces (like teens get) on a few teeth, and wiring the top and bottom braces together? So it didn’t harm the jaw, and was easily reversible.

This story reminds me of people who get stomach bypass surgery to lose weight, and then eat only junk food and ice cream. Many gain the weight back over the course of a year or two. As Asanta points out, there is a loophole in most every diet!

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2008 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

It’s too bad that psychology hasn’t reached the status of a real science capable of supporting related engineering yet.  When it does, psychologists will be able to introduce enough of the components that cause anorexia into obese people so they stop eating until they get down to a normal weight.

Occam

Posted: 06 October 2008 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

I’m thinking about creating and marketing a new diet that only allows for eating raw meat.  The goal is to keep things as natural and as much like they would have been thousands of years ago.

Perhaps my diet will require people to chase and wrestle down animals themselves, without the aid of any weapons or hunting technology.  Dairy would only be allowed if consumed directly from live and free roaming animals.

Posted: 06 October 2008 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

erasmusinfinity, on your proposed diet we’d all end up dead or supermodels LOL

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2008 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-09-21

The goal is to be thin, right?  LOL

Posted: 06 October 2008 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

Erasmus, maybe I wouldn’t take the part about chase and wrestle down the animals, but I admit I really love raw meat.

I don’t eat raw meat for health reasons, but I enjoy its taste. Have you ever tried Carpaccio?

The meat must be from young caws, ideally female young caws and must be presented in very thin slices.

Posted: 06 October 2008 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2007-09-21

Why no Barto, I haven’t had Carpaccio.  Sounds to me like it might serve well in a dirty ash tray.

1 of 2